What did you rehang today?

Re: Jankee Josh Craftsman.

A fine hang.

That color and shape is from the 50's & 60's. While the radial grind will suffice those convex cheeks will benefit from a banana or half banana grind. You'll notice the difference when chopping.
Great advice! Thanks. Being a boys axe i envisioned using it for limbing, general use so i wanted a steeper angle on it. Also want to use it in winter as well. I often do a banana grind (also can be called a crescent grind, right?) on larger axes or ones I'll use for falling. I got a new craftsman db yesterday in an interesting pattern. On original haft and in incredible shape! I'll post it up soon.

Craftsman db. Narrow Michigan pattern i do believe.
9Q9M7r8.jpg

Original 31" haft.
A1QmipO.jpg
ruExuVi.jpg
tF4suc4.jpg
GpYRSTq.jpg
nPkuXci.jpg
VJvMclf.jpg

I really like this craftsman. I know your gut can't tell you much regarding age but I feel like this axe is old. It was painted black i know that. Weighs #3-6.7oz.

I made up a mix of raw linseed oil, pure gum turpentine and pine tar for this one. No measuring, just made a mix. I love the color, dry to the touch and smells nice. I'm going to add more of the pine tar to the next one.

IMG_20180919_102755 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180919_102817 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180919_102830 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180919_102837 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180919_102849 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180919_102855 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

uJLl73s.jpg
IZlpeBc.jpg
1DKNCtS.jpg
jVZ5bqJ.jpg

I am super exited to add this awesome Connie to my collection, and perhaps even more excited to find a 28” handle to put it on! Like most/all modern handles this one will need a good deal of thinning out, and I would like to re-shape the palm swell to be more pronounced, hopefully I can find some time this week to keep working on it.

3.5lbs, used hard but doesn’t appear abused. No maker’s mark or stamp that I can make out, but everything about the head says great quality. I can’t wait to put this to work at my wood pile!

What a good looking axe! I don't need one, but I really want a Connecticut pattern. They are just so classic looking! I think if I can find one, it will replace one of my thrashers.

uJLl73s.jpg
IZlpeBc.jpg
1DKNCtS.jpg
jVZ5bqJ.jpg

I am super exited to add this awesome Connie to my collection, and perhaps even more excited to find a 28” handle to put it on! Like most/all modern handles this one will need a good deal of thinning out, and I would like to re-shape the palm swell to be more pronounced, hopefully I can find some time this week to keep working on it.

3.5lbs, used hard but doesn’t appear abused. No maker’s mark or stamp that I can make out, but everything about the head says great quality. I can’t wait to put this to work at my wood pile!

Looking great travbud1!
Cant go wrong with a Conneticut! Especially not a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs court;):thumbsup:

You guys are getting me motivated to get my axes ready for this wood season. My Master Craftsman is ready for limb work but my Hults Bruks
4lb. splitting may need a haft. Which I have a spare set back. It is the best splitting ax I've used. So, thanks. I'll get some pictures of them in
use. Leaves are turning this week here and wood cutting is on my mind. DM

You guys are getting me motivated to get my axes ready for this wood season. My Master Craftsman is ready for limb work but my Hults Bruks
4lb. splitting may need a haft. Which I have a spare set back. It is the best splitting ax I've used. So, thanks. I'll get some pictures of them in
use. Leaves are turning this week here and wood cutting is on my mind. DM
I'd love to see the HB you mention. I've got a crappy 4lb Husky I am looking to replace. Splits wood well, but the bit has started to take a bend at the toe. It'll do for now, but I am trying to find a more solid 4lb replacement.

Thanks for the link! Looks like the one on the straight haft? That's a nice looking (and working) axe! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one myself. It goes without saying that the German springer looks to be a fine dog as well!

Ok, DB thanks. I got my HB for not much. It was rusted and I wanted a heavier ax, so I picked it up in a barn sale. Then I got it home and
cleaned it up to find it was a Hults Burks, with a 4 stamped on it. So, I thought great!
My German Shorthair Pt. is working out well. DM

Ok, DB thanks. I got my HB for not much. It was rusted and I wanted a heavier ax, so I picked it up in a barn sale. Then I got it home and
cleaned it up to find it was a Hults Burks, with a 4 stamped on it. So, I thought great!
My German Shorthair Pt. is working out well. DM

I like the straight handle you put on it David. No-nonsense.

Thanks H. It was by accident. That was the only handle I could find that fit the Hults eye. Those Swedish made ax have big eye's. DM

Once I realized this ax was harder to find the right size pants for. I began looking more during my travels and found another at a out of town
hardware store. Maybe a odd ball that someone ordered and it was the wrong size for them. So, I picked this one up and it's been hanging in the barn since last Spring. So, I'm in good shape for the Hults should it's haft get loose. I enjoy using this 4 pounder with cheeks for splitting.
It is a real work horse. DM

Wow, I've been busy. Went all summer without doing any roofs but that's all I've been doing lately! Holy crap I'm beat. Here's the plumb i recently acquired. It was a permabond but it was so rusty most of the epoxy came out easily. Cleaned up nice i think! This was after soaking and a lot of wet sanding , but still not quite done.
jlkndKf.jpg
XDIXmz1.jpg
vBjOsaV.jpg
cInCUTb.jpg
XK1MnpN.jpg
QVcOhuP.jpg
O7rRFWw.jpg
RzkVlye.jpg

Grain orientation is horrible but i still think it'll hold up alright. The eye was huge on this plumb and that Collins haft had plenty to spare so i could fill the eye. Just thought I'd throw this pic out there. I just finished this roof this morning. 34 sq.
pEirYBk.jpg

Back