What did you rehang today?

Any thoughts on where I could get a handle that would fit this? The eye is approx. 2" x 1".
IMG_0335.jpg

Wasn't rehung today but in the past week. My brother gave it to me after he found it with a broken handle. The eye was pretty wide but I had this vintage used handle that had just the right eye size. It appears to be an old unmarked sheetmetal hammer.
IMG_0411.jpg

I've stopped posting everything i hang. I hang probably three a week sometimes more! Do you guys hang more than you post? I'm curious! 13 pics in this one. The eye on this E&S Jersey was cavernous! I wanted to hang it on an old haft i had instead of making one for it so i kept the wood towards the front of the eye with much difficulty! I actually had to use wedges while seating the head to get it down to the shoulder. I used a poplar wedge and ash to fill out the back of the eye. I used an exterior wood glue , not expanding polyurethane glue. We'll see how it holds up! Spent two hours in total filing and sharpening! Some pics of the problem and process;
dQnRRzJ.jpg

KK6RE1o.jpg

And few of the solution!
1SUDqTr.jpg
IG8SZ68.jpg

The finished axe. This is a wonderful axe. Definitely an "if shtf" candidate.
DZedDvm.jpg
u4vyxzh.jpg
gGpA1gr.jpg
uUE48gE.jpg

I'm curious to see how the fillers hold up to use. I purposely used ash, a bit harder than the poplar so it bit in to it helping to hold them in place. (Hopefully)
AXoYZqU.jpg
CX8kLRs.jpg
fuLMMJA.jpg
GroXJ1u.jpg

And just a basic no frills sheath for it. That's all i can make anyway!
You92Vw.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!

Last edited:
Looks great! I bet that old handle would drink up a bunch of BLO.
It did! When first applying it i just kept putting it on and putting it on. It'll take more I'm just giving the first coat(s) time to soak in. I find it interesting that almost all of my handmade Maine axes have huge, asymmetric eyes(not to mention the bulge in the back as discussed in the another thread) . You almost need a 3" eye on the haft to get 'em hung properly. Even though that handle is pretty cracked it's sound. Not the perfect dark brown color we like to see on handles but i still find it beautiful. I've got a bunch more axes to post! I think I'll get to it!

I've stopped posting everything i hang. I hang probably three a week sometimes more! Do you guys hang more than you post? I'm curious! 13 pics in this one. The eye on this E&S Jersey was cavernous! I wanted to hang it on an old haft i had instead of making one for it so i kept the wood towards the front of the eye with much difficulty! I actually had to use wedges while seating the head to get it down to the shoulder. I used a poplar wedge and ash to fill out the back of the eye. I used an exterior wood glue , not expanding polyurethane glue. We'll see how it holds up! Spent two hours in total filing and sharpening! Some pics of the problem and process;
dQnRRzJ.jpg

KK6RE1o.jpg

And few of the solution!
1SUDqTr.jpg
IG8SZ68.jpg

DZedDvm.jpg
u4vyxzh.jpg
gGpA1gr.jpg
uUE48gE.jpg

I'm curious to see how the fillers hold up to use. I purposely used ash, a bit harder than the poplar so it bit in to it helping to good them in place. (Hopefully)
AXoYZqU.jpg
CX8kLRs.jpg
fuLMMJA.jpg
GroXJ1u.jpg

You92Vw.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!
first of, very beautiful, second, what the heck is your thumb doing in that first picture!?

I've stopped posting everything i hang. I hang probably three a week sometimes more! Do you guys hang more than you post? I'm curious!

I don't post on here much to begin with, I hang about 3 axes or so every free weekend on average I would say. This would be this past weekend's work, the Autograph in the middle was previously hung, just went over it again. Not pictured is a hatchet I went back out later in the day and re-hung.

VdGYNNh.jpg

Other things consume my disposable income these days so I live vicariously through you guys. I bet JB could confirm but my experience with ES axes is that the eyes were huge. I would kinda like to know where their handles came from. It's possible that they made them I dunno. But everything about them is just a little different from what the pack was doing at the same time.

dQnRRzJ.jpg

KK6RE1o.jpg

And few of the solution!
1SUDqTr.jpg
IG8SZ68.jpg

DZedDvm.jpg
u4vyxzh.jpg
gGpA1gr.jpg
uUE48gE.jpg

I'm curious to see how the fillers hold up to use. I purposely used ash, a bit harder than the poplar so it bit in to it helping to hold them in place. (Hopefully)
AXoYZqU.jpg
CX8kLRs.jpg
fuLMMJA.jpg
GroXJ1u.jpg

You92Vw.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!

I don't post on here much to begin with, I hang about 3 axes or so every free weekend on average I would say. This would be this past weekend's work, the Autograph in the middle was previously hung, just went over it again. Not pictured is a hatchet I went back out later in the day and re-hung.

VdGYNNh.jpg

Love the handle on that Plumb Champion!

I bet JB could confirm but my experience with ES axes is that the eyes were huge. I would kinda like to know where their handles came from. It's possible that they made them I dunno. But everything about them is just a little different from what the pack was doing at the same time.

Could be they were hanging on Ash and wanted the extra wood in the eye. Ash was popular in the NE. Still is. And it's good!

Back