What did you rehang today?

Well thank you! I would post more but don't like the thought of people scrolling through post after post of the same lunatic(me)! I try to wait to get a couple between my posts. Don't wanna Bogart the thread!!! Hahaha.

I hung this one a couple weeks ago. Thought I'd share it cause i feel it's another quality craftsman(vanadium). Funny how your tastes change the longer you collect! The grain sucks on this handle. It was the correct length though so i used it.
cwnT0A2.jpg

iq4HT5p.jpg
Aucb1XQ.jpg
5Jaa7rU.jpg
EeXVWx9.jpg
yxuO0ve.jpg
bca89BO.jpg
OAZxESW.jpg
vWOG9ab.jpg

Have a good day!
Perfect fitment on the shoulder, beautiful hang!

Found this for 3 dollars, it was pretty rough but for that price I couldn’t leave it there.

15Ox36E.jpg

lY3lSpf.jpg

I removed about 1/4” of the middle of the bit to even things out and smoothed out the rest of the head.

BwuuXM7.jpg

I did a vinegar soak just to see if there was any tempered material left. I’m not sure, but I think what I saw is the line where the bit was forge welded in. It was still somewhat hard when I filed it.

ndQu8PS.jpg

And the best part was that I used a handle I had sitting around for a long time because the tongue was way to undersized to do a nice hang with. You can see that it’s mostly wedge from the top of the eye. Is it actually useful? No, but I did enjoy working on it, and who knows, maybe the Black Prince will be the new Black Raven!

l7r3vtN.jpg

L5Iji4p.jpg

BY0lSNF.jpg

YtPGzMy.jpg

I’ve been wanting a nice flint edge jersey for a while but I just can’t justify the price with duty and shipping. But I did find these two in really rough shape for much less than what one nice one costs.

A Keen Kutter and a Mann True American, although it’s hard to tell with all the pitting.

RJYcWAM.jpg

The Keen Kutter had pretty thin walls around the eye and when I was test fitting the handle a crack developed. So I used a TIG welder to melt and join the material back together, no filler rod.

VMZRRI8.jpg

I intend to use this one for a splitter so I put it on a 34” straight haft which I octagonalized.

GgIbog3.jpg

L8pBUgD.jpg

I won’t be surprised if I see those cracks reappear, but I will find out one way or another, I’ve got a few rounds to split!

glFmq4z.jpg

The true American I hung on a 35” vintage Canadian handle I had sitting around. The end had a massive crack, it was warped, and someone had removed a lot of material from the tongue to jam it into a smaller head, even though there was no kerf cut? I glued the crack, immersed the handle in boiling water then straightened it, and got creative with the wedge to make sure the eye was filled. It’s the pitted and polished look, and as rough as it is, it’s one of my favorites because I put it together from a cast off handle and head. Cheers!

J7w9yoY.jpg

hdpuVxP.jpg

kXXMDfo.jpg

Pc3cleu.jpg

Qw32mET.jpg

This was the first axe i posted to the forum.
u6xHsJy.jpg

And while it was a very good hang it was a 36" haft and the axe weighs in at #3-11.5oz. Handle was just too long for this axe in my opinion. So....
jUIfBE5.jpg
NRauHMp.jpg
2Vk0OWU.jpg
TWGriLQ.jpg
tLmHOuK.jpg
1UvhfDI.jpg
XA1Nrq8.jpg
Hn1qQIp.jpg

This haft is 30-1/2". I love the way white ash looks. Yankee pattern is my favorite to use, but jersey has to be my favorite to look at! This one appears to be an actual "Kelly perfect" patent axe. The newer ones have much flatter cheeks and the bevels aren't very deep like on this one. This one is forge welded and has an over laid bit. Must've been made right around 1930 i think? Thanks for looking!

u6xHsJy.jpg

And while it was a very good hang it was a 36" haft and the axe weighs in at #3-11.5oz. Handle was just too long for this axe in my opinion. So....
jUIfBE5.jpg
NRauHMp.jpg
2Vk0OWU.jpg
TWGriLQ.jpg
tLmHOuK.jpg
1UvhfDI.jpg
XA1Nrq8.jpg
Hn1qQIp.jpg

This haft is 30-1/2". I love the way white ash looks. Yankee pattern is my favorite to use, but jersey has to be my favorite to look at! This one appears to be an actual "Kelly perfect" patent axe. The newer ones have much flatter cheeks and the bevels aren't very deep like on this one. This one is forge welded and has an over laid bit. Must've been made right around 1930 i think? Thanks for looking!
damn, i knew something was off, it's a bit too crisp to be a TTKP, that thing is beautiful, puts my KP to shame.

u6xHsJy.jpg

jUIfBE5.jpg
NRauHMp.jpg
2Vk0OWU.jpg
TWGriLQ.jpg
tLmHOuK.jpg
1UvhfDI.jpg
XA1Nrq8.jpg
Hn1qQIp.jpg

Nice hang, both times! Did you make the handle yourself?

Nice! I like color of your handles. Is that hatchet beveled on both sides?

Thanks, double bevel but favors one side. These days I am giving a few coats of boiled linseed oil cut with raw turpentine finished with pine tar. Still, the final color is determined by the wood. Fresh light hickory remains mostly unchanged in color, while older NOS handles have a great golden or nut brown color even when treated identically.

Nice hang, both times! Did you make the handle yourself?
I didn't make this one! It's the one pictured here. I have some more ash and oak blanks drying now but its not quite ready.
7Gzg6OB.jpg

Yankee Josh Yankee Josh 's hang:
Hn1qQIp.jpg

What are the chances of the poll being hardened?
Good question! I don't think so. I can't bring myself to file very hard on that almost perfect poll but i did give one spot a try and I'm pretty certain it is not hardened. The old fella that owned it before me must've owned a sledge and known when to use it. Unlike half the country it seems. Lol.

Back