What did you rehang today?

This was the first axe i posted to the forum.
u6xHsJy.jpg

And while it was a very good hang it was a 36" haft and the axe weighs in at #3-11.5oz. Handle was just too long for this axe in my opinion. So....
jUIfBE5.jpg
NRauHMp.jpg
2Vk0OWU.jpg
TWGriLQ.jpg
tLmHOuK.jpg
1UvhfDI.jpg
XA1Nrq8.jpg
Hn1qQIp.jpg

This haft is 30-1/2". I love the way white ash looks. Yankee pattern is my favorite to use, but jersey has to be my favorite to look at! This one appears to be an actual "Kelly perfect" patent axe. The newer ones have much flatter cheeks and the bevels aren't very deep like on this one. This one is forge welded and has an over laid bit. Must've been made right around 1930 i think? Thanks for looking!
Love the shorter handle. I have seen that type of handle pattern called both yankee and Maine, whenever it is it’s probably my favorite type of handle. I have a bunch of ash staves drying and will definitely be making some a few months from now.

Well done!!!

This was the first axe i posted to the forum.
u6xHsJy.jpg

And while it was a very good hang it was a 36" haft and the axe weighs in at #3-11.5oz. Handle was just too long for this axe in my opinion. So....
jUIfBE5.jpg
NRauHMp.jpg
2Vk0OWU.jpg
TWGriLQ.jpg
tLmHOuK.jpg
1UvhfDI.jpg
XA1Nrq8.jpg
Hn1qQIp.jpg

This haft is 30-1/2". I love the way white ash looks. Yankee pattern is my favorite to use, but jersey has to be my favorite to look at! This one appears to be an actual "Kelly perfect" patent axe. The newer ones have much flatter cheeks and the bevels aren't very deep like on this one. This one is forge welded and has an over laid bit. Must've been made right around 1930 i think? Thanks for looking!

I rehung the rusty-er looking collins' yesterday but didn't think to get pics of them till today. Both the rusty looking ones are on vintage handles. The cleaner looking collins is hung on "link's finest" (dripping with sarcasm).
IMG-0601.jpg
IMG-0602.jpg
Cruiser:
IMG-0606.jpg

Swamper:
IMG-0607.jpg

Canoe pattern:
IMG-0604.jpg

Cross wedging with fatwood (sorry 'bout the ragged ends):
IMG-0608.jpg

Ok, critique these for me.

Each to his own but i like mine flush. I leave it up about 1/4" after hanging, drive the wedge home and then cut it off flush. Only time i leave any proud is when it's a small eye like a Hudson bay or sometimes a boys axe. Most came flush from the factory.
On rare occasions i think its attractive to leave some proud but for me personally flush is the way to go!
about 1/8" more stick out on the top there but great job man, always like plumb jetwings
Phantom, why do you prefer leaving it proud? I've been wanting to broach this subject but didn't want to get into a scrap about it. Lol.

Each to his own but i like mine flush. I leave it up about 1/4" after hanging, drive the wedge home and then cut it off flush. Only time i leave any proud is when it's a small eye like a Hudson bay or sometimes a boys axe. Most came flush from the factory.
On rare occasions i think its attractive to leave some proud but for me personally flush is the way to go!

Phantom, why do you prefer leaving it proud? I've been wanting to broach this subject but didn't want to get into a scrap about it. Lol.
It's kinda like Riveting when you pound the wedge, the top that sticks out will expand over the walls of the eye

It's kinda like Riveting when you pound the wedge, the top that sticks out will expand over the walls of the eye
Yeah i know what you mean. That's the reason i leave it up on small eyes. I hung the first few dozen that way and they've held up fine for me. The ones I've cut flush hold up good too though and i guess it just makes me happy to have them look like a factory hang.

I almost always cut mine flush. Either way is fine. But, if you have done a good hang there should be no reason to leave it proud. 60 years, and a lot of axe hangs, no problems for me with a flush cut.
I understand ya there man, it's kinda "thought that counts" sorta thing but it definitely helps on those shorter eyes, if there's one pattern that for sure will never need this it's a jersey type head, those are a friggin pain to get off a tight unwedged fit, let alone a finished hang

Back