What did you rehang today?

They still need to be sharpened but this should be better. :)

latest

Here's something a little different. Hoping someone can recognize the stamp on the adze in the last couple photos. Another nice long clean break to glue!
a1dRJab.jpg

The had used two rolls of electrical tape.
Lol.
KMSwaUh.jpg

5CWSIOy.jpg
NNpM5Bk.jpg

The wood is pretty beat up but the adze seats tightly enough and it still has life in it!
8rnnCkB.jpg

I only wanted to try it out some so i did a little on some maple.
p5dY9UC.jpg
pX8BCCK.jpg

This is where i was hoping for help!? The last line says "cast steel" and i the l think i also see S 07?
4ZvZDTx.jpg
nKeb6Wy.jpg

And as before the glue held up just fine to repeated whacks. Thanks for your help identifying that in advance. I'm hoping sometime recognizes it cause i haven't a clue!

I almost always cut mine flush. Either way is fine. But, if you have done a good hang there should be no reason to leave it proud. 60 years, and a lot of axe hangs, no problems for me with a flush cut.
I rehang pretty much all mine the way that seems popular nowadays with the handle proud of the head. I like the look and the idea that you can always tap the wedge in further later if need be.
But I can think of a few instances where axes maybe should hung flush though. One is for a throwing axe. If your rotation is off and it hits head on, it will want to drive the head off the handle. Another I’ve been thinking of but haven’t actually put in practice yet, is that if you are trying to rehang a vintage axe on its original handle, and want to keep it true to original, it should be hung as such, which likely means cut flush and with metal wedges. It’s something I’ve been thinking about bringing up for discussion to see what others thought. Not to debate what is a superior method, but what makes the hang more authentic.

Last edited:
I would NOT use that!

Used correctly an adze is an extremely dangerous tool. Adding a flawed handle is just flirting with trouble.
Aww shucks, are you concerned about me?? hahaha. Point well taken. I had thought about that before starting and the nature of the break is such that a failure would not be scary. It would snap in the middle and momentum may take the jagged point towards my shin but the adze would either be stuck or fall off to one side. I'm ready for it in either case!
Anyone have any ideas on that makers mark??

Please listen to Square-peg, do not use that fine old adze with that repaired haft. He knows what he is talking about. There are people on this forum who post a lot of pretty pictures (staged pictures) and then pontificate about something- like broad axe hewing, adze work, etc. In my opinion, they actually would not know how to use a broad axe or adze if it bit them in the ass. Square-peg is not one of these pretender boneheads.

+1 with Square_peg. These toes didn't change into that from walking.(They also weren't JUST destroyed by axes and adzes)
IMG-0614.jpg

IMG-0615.jpg

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I have no practical experience with an adze. Probably why it occurred to me to glue it up in the first place. When i do more I'll have a proper handle in it. And steel toed boots.
I do however have to state that i am eminently confident in the gorilla glue. I did more chopping and felled a medium size silver maple with that garant axe and that handle is as good as good can get! That ol adze handle will make a good pattern. Thanks again fellas.

Back