What did you rehang today?

...This wedge discussion must have its own thread though, right?
Great idea.
Stories of handles that might be better for it and maybe how to go about it.

When to drop it on the existing handle and when to replace the whole thing.

The second wedge is only as good as the first one. :)

While i do get the lip that gets created when leaving the eye proud does kind of hook the head on at the same time i feel that any outward pressure that isn't inside the eye is wasted.

It's not wasted. It's in addition to the tight fit created throughout the eye. More is better.

Sometimes i wonder that the axes don't split apart!

I've cracked an axe eye during wedging.

I can honestly say that the factory hang that seems to stand the test of time is the Plumb perma bond. I don't recall finding an example that had a loose head. I found one last summer at an estate sale that was leaning against the side of a shed. A very weathered haft with no sign of ever being red and badly warped. I don't know how many years it had been there but when I picked it up there was the Perma bond and a still tight haft. Those hangs are short of filling the eye to leave room for the epoxy. Maybe we should all being cutting our hafts off short and sealing it up with perma bond?

I can honestly say that the factory hang that seems to stand the test of time is the Plumb perma bond. I don't recall finding an example that had a loose head. I found one last summer at an estate sale that was leaning against the side of a shed. A very weathered haft with no sign of ever being red and badly warped. I don't know how many years it had been there but when I picked it up there was the Perma bond and a still tight haft. Those hangs are short of filling the eye to leave room for the epoxy. Maybe we should all being cutting our hafts off short and sealing it up with perma bond?

846-DEC1-D-C7-D2-4706-BC5-D-FE29917-AD3-EF.jpg

211-F8-C1-A-C748-49-EA-A1-F6-23-CA0630-DDC0.jpg

Not even epoxy can deter steel wedges ;)

Recently I do mine somewhat like that. I leave 1/8 + or - proud, and then round down to the head.

I do not sand mine to round the edges down to the head. I use a gyp (utility) knife to do the rounding. It wont leave marks if you hit the head, it's quick, it also helps seal the pores, I like the rustic look, and you can throw the blade away if you hit the head and dull it.

Last edited:
I sometimes sand the whole haft up to 180 grit, then apply a couple of coats of BLO. Then I sand again up to 320 or even 600 if the grain is really pronounced and apply a couple of coats of a beeswax/mineral oil combo. That last step is likely not needed, but I really appreciate the grain in wood, so I like to make it pop. I do the same with my knives. Just a personal thing.

So I had a 0,8 Kg Dominicus hatchet head and a piece of seasoned White Ash

I thought it would be fun to make a handle with some rules. Doubting my ability to make a pretty one as I am not a carver (as you will see), the handle would be strictly utilitarian, I would use only hand tools but no rasps, files or sandpaper. I did use a card scraper. Finish will be dirt and sweat.

White Pine wedge

Result

Bob

-----------------------
Addendum

I thought it would be fun to make a handle with some rules. Doubting my ability to make a pretty one as I am not a carver (as you will see), the handle would be strictly utilitarian, I would use only hand tools but no rasps, files or sandpaper. I did use a card scraper. Finish will be dirt and sweat.

White Pine wedge

Result

Bob

-----------------------
Addendum
I love it.

Don't laugh at my method.. Haha. First time using steam to bend a haft. I got the broad axe 90% fit but the natural bend in the handle wasn't enough so here's a couple of where it is right now.
wvjsC48.jpg
CyGYnNT.jpg

I steamed it for just over an hour but I'll have to be patient and leave it there for a couple days and then bring it in and let it dry for a week or so and THEN i can hang it!

Last edited:

White Pine wedge

Result

Bob

-----------------------
Addendum

Great pictorial, Bob!

White Pine wedge

Result

Bob

-----------------------
Addendum

Nice axt there Bob! Once again, I want to hang out in your shop :thumbsup:

Back