What did you rehang today?

Instead of trying to chase down some green Hickory, I picked up some 8/4 kiln dried to make a handle blank for a 2 1/2 lb. Hults Bruk head I had and some other projects.

This may not be the final shape, but here it is right now:

Compared with an off the shelf 28" hardware store handle:

The differences:
1.) My handle is 26 1/2".
2.) Mine has more curve.
3.) The grip on mine is wider. This presumably will be stronger.
4.) Probably not obvious. but I left the knob slightly larger than what is usually seen (;)).

I have not used the axe yet, so I don't know how the fatter handle and the Big Fat Knob (BFK) will work out for me. I figure I can shape it to my liking after it gets some use. Or if it doesn't, there is always the kindling box.:D

Parting shot:

Bob

I believe that P was Pearley Pulsiver? I grew up 40 minutes from Oakland.
That is super cool! I've always wondered... i was confused and thought it perhaps was a W for Earl Wood. I have 6 E&S axes now. None of them have all the stamps. Hard to find one with them all in tact. Any other interesting info you can think of to share? I'd love to learn as much as possible! Thanks man.

Did up this beaut this summer as well.
50326197_2195046230515804_5898163473883332608_n.jpg

49384915_2195046237182470_4659868731080441856_n.jpg

50506382_2195046273849133_2647793749677047808_n.jpg

50133386_2195046340515793_1142557941795127296_n.jpg

50448767_2195046297182464_6251964011936481280_n.jpg

uJLl73s.jpg
IZlpeBc.jpg
1DKNCtS.jpg
jVZ5bqJ.jpg

I am super exited to add this awesome Connie to my collection, and perhaps even more excited to find a 28” handle to put it on! Like most/all modern handles this one will need a good deal of thinning out, and I would like to re-shape the palm swell to be more pronounced, hopefully I can find some time this week to keep working on it.

3.5lbs, used hard but doesn’t appear abused. No maker’s mark or stamp that I can make out, but everything about the head says great quality. I can’t wait to put this to work at my wood pile!
Well, almost 4 months later I finally took some time to come back to this axe and work on thinning/shaping the handle. I’m really pleased with how everything turned out, the knob-end was somewhat accidental but I decided to go with it and I’m glad, it sure is much more comfortable to swing now.
lkoU2ob.jpg
7DNhvbq.jpg
apZ0dZd.jpg
qEs1idU.jpg
IS3cyNK.jpg
U0waPS8.jpg

Instead of trying to chase down some green Hickory, I picked up some 8/4 kiln dried to make a handle blank for a 2 1/2 lb. Hults Bruk head I had and some other projects.

This may not be the final shape, but here it is right now:

Compared with an off the shelf 28" hardware store handle:

The differences:
1.) My handle is 26 1/2".
2.) Mine has more curve.
3.) The grip on mine is wider. This presumably will be stronger.
4.) Probably not obvious. but I left the knob slightly larger than what is usually seen (;)).

I have not used the axe yet, so I don't know how the fatter handle and the Big Fat Knob (BFK) will work out for me. I figure I can shape it to my liking after it gets some use. Or if it doesn't, there is always the kindling box.:D

Parting shot:

Bob

Looks good. Where did the Hickory come from?

Where did the Hickory come from?
I can't say with certainty. The lumber came from a local business about 10 miles from me. Part of their business was cutting trees, sawing and kiln drying rough cut lumber for sale. Sadly, they have discontinued their lumber sales.:( I am pretty sure however, that the logs were local from here in SW Michigan. Hope this helps.

Bob

This was a more recent Stanley tack hammer with a broker tine that I modified years ago and have been using for random small hammering tasks.
Today I decided it was time for a more proper handle and made one from a piece of broker shovel handle.
It has a somewhat irregular hourglass eye so it may seem like a bad hang but it is good and solid.

Last edited:
Was given a no-name cross pein head. It's just shy of one pound (0.451 kg). Another person gave me some dried split pieces of White Ash. Put the two together today. Used my "new" AA&T CO clawless claw hatchet.

Dead porcupine in the middle of the road?

Used the hatchet a little more then spokeshave, sloyd knife, card scraper, and Japanese saw.

Bob

I can't say with certainty. The lumber came from a local business about 10 miles from me. Part of their business was cutting trees, sawing and kiln drying rough cut lumber for sale. Sadly, they have discontinued their lumber sales.:( I am pretty sure however, that the logs were local from here in SW Michigan. Hope this helps.

Bob
That's a shame. Lucky thing you got some though.

Back