What did you rehang today?

It lives! Mwuhahahaa! I rehung A17 for the third time since I've had it during this afternoon. I dropped the shoulders about an inch to the end of the flats, fixed the poor octagonalizing job, deepened the kerf to match the shoulders, fitted A17, drove the fatwood wedge (made out of the log that broke it's former haft) solid, and stained it walnut like the first. After I hung it, I finished sharpening it and tried it out. 4 blows took out a 8x10 chunk of pine which is alright by me! I sorta forgot to document the middle 70% of the hafting job so there's a big gap in the various stages of hanging.
IMG-2496.jpg

IMG-2497.jpg

IMG-2499.jpg

IMG-2500.jpg

IMG-2501.jpg

IMG-2503.jpg

Here's the Hartwell bros. Grey Gorge Michigan pattern. Hung on a 29" snow and neally haft. It suffered an overstrike or two from the previous owner but it's definitely workable. Do any of you consider these rare-ish? I see them but not very often. You?
8cfPoiL.jpg
mjdgttd.jpg

That's not a void on the side. The edge of the eye is champhered in a little. There is a small gap at the front which I hate but I wanted to use this haft.
yHUk2X7.jpg

pu7hgdG.jpg
EmS7P5W.jpg
DTO2zpa.jpg
U1bEzv7.jpg

So that's it. Another one hung. I'm really going to have to start selling them or something. I am literally running out of room. Have a great night all!
Edit. I meant to add a couple of the wedge as I drove it in. Had some really good curls on this one. That line is 2" from the point of the birch wedge. 20190313_140610.jpg 20190313_140635.jpg

Last edited:
I ran out of patience looking for curly or striped maple and I have a fair amount of black walnut so I hand made a display handle for the Snow & Neally pike pole today. I had a rough idea of the shape I wanted but really I just wung it. I wanted both curves and right angles to hopefully show off the grain and i kinda achieved that.
NX1Rvrx.jpg

Used my 10" witherby draw knife;
bGGAgEs.jpg
pqO1GI7.jpg

I used the nos rasp i bought a few months back for roughing out.
VdUdzvU.jpg
zOXtqYg.jpg
9zIMzIU.jpg
9BvPOPA.jpg
DZGrYfh.jpg
8xfg750.jpg

Doing it all by hand takes forever! But you do get a special sense of accomplishment. Have a great evening!

Last edited:
I rehung this Korean War era, Mann 1951 military hatchet. Haft and head had been spray painted black (military use?) so I removed the head and sanded both then wirewheeled the head before sharpening it. The haft was smoked in my BBQ for 18 hours and rubbed with a mixture of beeswax and BLO before reuniting it with the head.
I think the wedge is poplar and I used slivers from some real dark hardwood scraps I had laying around to fill in the voids where metal wedges had be used previously.

Before
02L037o.jpg

kJFhRB1.jpg

JUabsUu.jpg

TvzKi3L.jpg

M7egHap.jpg

SlQk4Ju.jpg

Mct0oTi.jpg

206-D744-B-ABEB-479-D-9-AD4-6-B091-CD8-BECE.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I rehung this Korean War era, Mann 1951 military hatchet. Haft and head had been spray painted black (military use?) so I removed the head and sanded both then wirewheeled the head before sharpening it. The haft was smoked in my BBQ for 18 hours and rubbed with a mixture of beeswax and BLO before reuniting it with the head.

02L037o.jpg

SlQk4Ju.jpg

The entire axe looks fantastic, the dedication to your work and craft show thru in all i have seen you post here sir.

I am unfamiliar with what the benefits are to the wood of the handle to smoke it...I can assume or google...sometimes they are the same thing and still make an ass of me :D
I know a bit about the flame treated handles, marketing and advertising I understand that to mostly be.
MW

The entire axe looks fantastic, the dedication to your work and craft show thru in all i have seen you post here sir.

I am unfamiliar with what the benefits are to the wood of the handle to smoke it...I can assume or google...sometimes they are the same thing and still make an ass of me :D
I know a bit about the flame treated handles, marketing and advertising I understand that to mostly be.
MW
That is high praise. Thank you!
The smoking was to impart color, and more specifically, a patina.
[URL="https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/diy-wood-stain.1636590/#post-18869868"]DIY Wood Stain?[/URL]

MW
If I'm not mistaken i believe it's aesthetic. It's really the only way to make em look really old and gorgeous. It may impart some other qualities but I'm not aware of any.

I think the wedge is poplar and I used slivers from some real dark hardwood scraps I had laying around to fill in the voids where metal wedges had be used previously.

Before
02L037o.jpg

kJFhRB1.jpg

JUabsUu.jpg

TvzKi3L.jpg

M7egHap.jpg

SlQk4Ju.jpg

Mct0oTi.jpg

206-D744-B-ABEB-479-D-9-AD4-6-B091-CD8-BECE.jpg

Cheers!
Beautiful man! That's a handsome little hatchet. Super nice to have the year stamped right on it. What does the head weigh?

Back