What did you rehang today?

I can't stand a loose head so I think you definitely did the right thing. Even with that raven I bought that was on a real nice, possibly original, haft I couldn't help but rehang it properly. It too had a shelf but had been rehung at some point. For me it would have to be a historically important axe for me to leave it alone. I actually have one that for some reason I haven't posted yet. I'll have to do that soon and share it with you guys.
Well what are you waiting for?! Now you have to.

Last edited:
Rehung this little Connie.
RowYDLE.jpg

VIHoZGo.jpg

7AjAVZQ.jpg

sPW4MRG.jpg

G1dIpes.jpg

6smuvoD.jpg

5oFnftk.jpg

One interesting thing I did here was right above the shoulder where I did some filing on the handle to get the axe seated a bit lower.
I used black antiquing wax to get rid of the fresh wood exposed from the file marks. It worked pretty good I’d say!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

I filed, honed and hung the Value Wedge hatchet yesterday.
izITCO4.jpg

I'm very happy with the haft! Picture is fuzzy but it started out looking like this;
ZKqd49z.jpg

It's very heavy for its size. Seems odd to me. It weighs 3lbs with the haft. #2-4oz without.
teCSWHQ.jpg
rsUQxq2.jpg
BxSUA3K.jpg
Uzohdmz.jpg

Real nice grain alignment! I know it's not necessary with a small haft but it's still cool to have it right.
LeWME1r.jpg

Have a great evening!
5eGFlzi.jpg

I'll have to agree with Miller '72. I'm not sure what denotes a house axe? That hatchet handle seemed proportionate so I used it. It is a tad heavy for extended one handed use but that can have advantages too.
I'm torn because I want to lightly sand it in an attempt to enhance the stamp. I'd have to do it very lightly and very flat so I don't lose anything! It'd be worth it though if I could reveal some more of it.

I'll have to agree with Miller '72. I'm not sure what denotes a house axe? That hatchet handle seemed proportionate so I used it. It is a tad heavy for extended one handed use but that can have advantages too.
I'm torn because I want to lightly sand it in an attempt to enhance the stamp. I'd have to do it very lightly and very flat so I don't lose anything! It'd be worth it though if I could reveal some more of it.

Hi Josh. I pulled this from the '38 catalog. I hope this is cool.

Smart-Select-20190505-234333-Chrome.jpg

I couldn't stand having a nice ol' e&s cruiser just sit there. So i made an honest to goodness user out of it. It'll be my new "wheeler axe". Had a huge chip and a smaller chip off the heel.
pYOA2Z5.jpg
xOwZqUY.jpg

I'll post more of those pics in the "what did you sharpen today" thread. The eye was also deformed from someone using it as a hammer... I did straighten it out somewhat and this pic is during that process.
EosLxE7.jpg
Anyhow here she is! Ready for work.
A1Yi21t.jpg
H7wAk2g.jpg
Qypryf0.jpg
xQ9msbA.jpg
NqEzzWE.jpg
YoGp2Qt.jpg

I realize that where that chip is still missing is a weak spot so I filed about a 40° in that area. I'll not be afraid if this one gets banged around and so it'll end up being more useful that a perfect one! Have a great evening all!
KmEMY65.jpg

I found this the day after a desperate plea in an unexpected place. :)

3.25lbs, haft wound up 34" for now (until I can make or find a 30-32" with sexy curves. This is a reworked Ames haft. I could only take a bit off the top, but I cut almost 2" off the bottom. Thinned out, re-shaped, octagonal from the belly up, etc. I haven't put a finish on it yet, I want to stain it nutmeg first.

20190509_061403-1011x2078.jpg 20190509_031110-1209x1612.jpg 20190509_024426-1209x1612.jpg

The pics of the head: Just to show how two minutes with a med then fine niolox wheel will knock off red oxide without killing patina. Also the grind didn't show up well in the wall pic.

Beautiful day to clean up an old hatchet!
JR292MZ.jpg

HQFzaNi.jpg

This Kelly Flint Edge had a nice, I suspect original handle, but it had a crack on the back of it and a badly mushroomed poll.
5VvacX7.jpg

IWzTfFd.jpg

ukgPVNB.jpg

Since I had to grind on the weld, I went ahead and cleaned up the poll at the same time with a flap wheel. Then finished it with 220 and 500 wet/dry on a 1/4 sheet sander before the wire wheel.
g9jKcBB.jpg

R1WRzUB.jpg

Drove home a Yankee Josh Yankee Josh Yellow Birch wedges.
jFGgien.jpg

Cfk9qMU.jpg

l1q9kwU.jpg

FQpbOlK.jpg

vrqu0TU.jpg

mGEgUlF.jpg

Qrca43a.jpg

That old dry handle really sucked up the BLO. I glued that split below the shoulder.
nXSecH7.jpg

JCyaMj4.jpg

1Fa6vQT.jpg

7CZcZwy.jpg

Does anyone know if these were only made before the addition of the graphic in 1897 or continued after?

Cheers!

Beautiful day to clean up an old hatchet!
JR292MZ.jpg

HQFzaNi.jpg

This Kelly Flint Edge had a nice, I suspect original handle, but it had a crack on the back of it and a badly mushroomed poll.
5VvacX7.jpg

IWzTfFd.jpg

ukgPVNB.jpg

Since I had to grind on the weld, I went ahead and cleaned up the poll at the same time with a flap wheel. Then finished it with 220 and 500 wet/dry on a 1/4 sheet sander before the wire wheel.
g9jKcBB.jpg

R1WRzUB.jpg

Drove home a Yankee Josh Yankee Josh Yellow Birch wedges.
jFGgien.jpg

Cfk9qMU.jpg

l1q9kwU.jpg

FQpbOlK.jpg

vrqu0TU.jpg

mGEgUlF.jpg

Qrca43a.jpg

That old dry handle really sucked up the BLO. I glued that split below the shoulder.
nXSecH7.jpg

JCyaMj4.jpg

1Fa6vQT.jpg

7CZcZwy.jpg

Does anyone know if these were only made before the addition of the graphic in 1897 or continued after?

Cheers!

Great repair work on that hewing hatchet! That turned into a fine piece, handle looks rich with age.

Now it won’t be teased by all the other awesome stuff it gets to hang out with!

Great repair work on that hewing hatchet! That turned into a fine piece, handle looks rich with age.

Now it won’t be teased by all the other awesome stuff it gets to hang out with!
A guy down the way did the welding I just cleaned it up afterward. I wouldn’t trust myself not to mangle that weld. (Of course he wrapped the bit in a wet rag.)
I wish I had a before picture of the crack though. :(

Last edited:
Back