What did you rehang today?

Hopefully you will all forgive me for another long(ish) post. I think I've got a new favorite...
SzZi5TY.jpg

I've been saving this haft for over a year. I was told a guy's mother used to use this with a washboard to clean clothes. I'm not sure if i believe that? Here's a couple of the haft. What do you guys think? Just a home made handle or a washboard stick?
vCkJmSf.jpg
vUafbd6.jpg

There was no kerf and the swell was definitely shaped for being held only one way.
cwD3mIa.jpg
a48sfff.jpg

I find Diamond eyes are more difficult to get seated. But they sure do offer a secure hang. I've got hours in re-profiling and hanging this one. It's nothing new to spend many hours on one(every one really) but it adds to my feeling of pride in a job well done. I just used this axe and the handle feels welded to it.
L7ssKAR.jpg
56QkVJl.jpg
lrxYoSU.jpg
duIIJA6.jpg
PW7cYgq.jpg
os1es7d.jpg
E3wR4EI.jpg

This axe is an old Snow & Neally. It used to say OUR BEST and then under that the company name and location.
After filing and honing it weighs #3-5.4oz. #4-5.1oz with 32" hickory helve. I may reshape the swell because it's a little uncomfortable swinging the keen bit as it is now. But i think it's neat the way it is for now. Thanks for checking it out!
That's a beauty.

I modified and hung the China hatchet today. As I figure I'll never find a jersey hatchet in the wild I decided to modify one I had. I put it on a nice sapwood/heartwood 18 inch Link hatchet handle that was modified to accept the smaller eye. No before or progress pics on the handle, sorry.
IMG-E2660.jpg

IMG-3207.jpg

IMG-3209.jpg

I modified and hung the China hatchet today. As I figure I'll never find a jersey hatchet in the wild I decided to modify one I had. I put it on a nice sapwood/heartwood 18 inch Link hatchet handle that was modified to accept the smaller eye. No before or progress pics on the handle, sorry.
IMG-E2660.jpg

IMG-3207.jpg

IMG-3209.jpg

Interesting. I just got a Council Hudson Bay to try the same thing.

Reactions: A17
IMG-E2660.jpg

IMG-3207.jpg

IMG-3209.jpg

Looks like you did a great job!! I think that looks awesome!

IMG-E2660.jpg

IMG-3207.jpg

IMG-3209.jpg

Just awesome A17

You will probably reach for this guy more than most your others.
Excellent creativity and execution.

IMG-E2660.jpg

IMG-3207.jpg

IMG-3209.jpg
I second what Miller said! That is a great job and very cool all wrapped up into one. It came out great! How is the temper on it after all the cutting you did? Can you temper it now?

I soaked it with a hose frequently and never had any signs of overheating that I know of. The temper seemed fine when I filed the bit so I won't worry about it. Most of the cutting was in short bursts with changing angles and such and near the poll so it never got too hot.
P.S. I am reaching for it more than my (formerly?) favorite hatchet already.

I soaked it with a hose frequently and never had any signs of overheating that I know of. The temper seemed fine when I filed the bit so I won't worry about it. Most of the cutting was in short bursts with changing angles and such and near the poll so it never got too hot.
P.S. I am reaching for it more than my (formerly?) favorite hatchet already.

Way to go man!

This is a 1.5lb Wetterlings head that I got from Miller '72 in a trade. I'm sure there was a Connie head involved in there somewhere... I'd love to be able to make handles like this, but I'm not at that level yet. I bought it for $10 from a local guy that makes them.

IMG_20190530_083823 by Justin Lyttle, on
IMG_20190530_083958 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_084015 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_084109 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_084039 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_084044 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_083937 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is a 1.5lb Wetterlings head that I got from Miller '72 in a trade. I'm sure there was a Connie head involved in there somewhere... I'd love to be able to make handles like this, but I'm not at that level yet. I bought it for $10 from a local guy that makes them.

IMG_20190530_083823 by Justin Lyttle, on
IMG_20190530_083958 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_084015 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_084109 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_084039 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_084044 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190530_083937 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
What a bargain for such a lovely handle!

A friend of a friend gave me an old head on broken handle to rehang for him. He uses axes (splitting) but isn't "into" them like we are. Just a tool. The head turned out to be a 1915 E&S Jersey. I asked him if I could trade or buy it and set him up with another, but he has had it for 30 years and likes it. I let it go. I put it on a good quality 36" Ames True Temper handle from Lowe's with perfect grain. It should serve him. I did take the varnish off and oil it at least, although that probably wouldn't have mattered to him. I could not let a nice E&S go out on a varnished handle with store stickers on it. I also put a decent edge on it for him. I didn't want to let it go, although if I kept it I would have used different handle.

IMG_20190601_160210 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190601_160221 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190601_160254 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190601_160316 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190601_160301 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

I recently found a Council Tool Railsplitter at a yard sale so I picked it up. I was pretty unimpressed with the fit and finish. I know this is their “lower end” model but still. So I took the head off thinned down the shoulder and then secured it with a walnut wedge! I think it turned out good and it is not going anywhere now. Thanks for lookin!

Back