What did you rehang today?

Do I see a stamp, makers mark, in your wedge, similar to this stamp here in my wedge.

20190607-182005.jpg

20190607-182022.jpg

Super tight hang on that beauty haft.
Reminds me of that line..."is a frog's ass water tight?"
Miller is there a year stamped under the poll of your Emery Waterhouse?
The date on mine is backwards from the way E&S stamped it. That's about the only clue I have so I figured I'd ask.
Edit; i thought i would include these photos of one of my Emerson Stevens axes. It has a somewhat similar mark that I hadn't seen before.. 1559995218185778970787914968638.jpg 15599952478085186565463281522004.jpg

Last edited:
Those Artisans are in the same type of oval that was used on some Craftsman single oval stamps. I've always wondered if they were related.
Maybe so because I have seen Artisans that are spitting images of Vaughan's and I have always associated them with Vaughan. I think Artisan was a Gambel's brand.
Can't remember where any of that came from so don't ask me back it up. ;)

I think Gambles was a store, and I'd wager Vaughan made given what you guys are saying. At least some of them.

Reactions: A17
Miller is there a year stamped under the poll of your Emery Waterhouse?
The date on mine is backwards from the way E&S stamped it. That's about the only clue I have so I figured I'd ask.
Edit; i thought i would include these photos of one of my Emerson Stevens axes. It has a somewhat similar mark that I hadn't seen before.. View attachment 1141178 View attachment 1141179

No, sadly if it was stamped, it's gone now.
What a beauty

2.5 lbs E&S on an 28 inch handle I made from an ash stave. I went up to northern Maine over the weekend to open my uncle’s camp and do some fishing. One of the tasks is to clear the shoreline of driftwood, It was a nice test for the handle. Still need to fine tune it a bit then oil.

I've had this head and handle sitting for a few months now, teasing me every time I'd walk past my workbench. Finally was able to spend some time sharpening and hanging my first cruiser!
QVLBWuF.jpg

It's a True Temper Vulcan, weighing in at 2lb 8oz right on the nose.
CQr8eJz.jpg

The handle I purchased used from local used tool dealer, it's has a bit of overstrike damage but nothing too bad, plenty of meat left at the shoulder for a solid hang all the way around. It is nice and slim. Grain is completely horizontal which i am not too concerned about. If it breaks, it breaks! It ended up at 27" overall.
ivoJe6J.jpg

75nKole.jpg

Ob6NiVB.jpg

Anyone recognize the 281 mark? I can see some faint lettering underneath the other words but nothing legible.
HHIFO7h.jpg

I'm real happy with how it all came together. This one will eventually be getting a nice leather sheath, as soon as I can find some time that is. My wife and I have a 4 month old son and as I'm sure many of you can attest to, free time is essentially non existent at the moment! Wouldn't trade it for the world though!

I've had this wedge pattern for a little while now. Decided to hang it on one of my n.o.s. S&N hafts. That’s a nice, tight hang and a great profile. Great work!
IMmG0Jg.jpg

There aren't any identifiers anywhere except the year of manufacture;
K3NzDQw.jpg

A couple of the haft before the final hang. Ended up with almost an inch of contact. Good stuff...
IcEE5mT.jpg
TYUMZsb.jpg

The temper is so good on this axe. Just perfect! I don't know the maker but it was made well!
kvOG0iT.jpg
NhVxYNO.jpg
Rej9pg0.jpg
Qsoz9eM.jpg
zFMIHc8.jpg

It had been filed quite thin so I only removed the dings and filed very little. Honed and hung it after work today! Battled the hordes blackflies but I got 'er done! Thanks for checking it out guys!
EXqQ3eE.jpg

Edit; Wanted to mention that prior to hanging it truly was perfectly wedge shaped. Pounding in the birch wedge put a slight curve in the eye and so ruined the straight line.
Jj
I've had this wedge pattern for a little while now. Decided to hang it on one of my n.o.s. S&N hafts.
IMmG0Jg.jpg

There aren't any identifiers anywhere except the year of manufacture;
K3NzDQw.jpg

A couple of the haft before the final hang. Ended up with almost an inch of contact. Good stuff...
IcEE5mT.jpg
TYUMZsb.jpg

The temper is so good on this axe. Just perfect! I don't know the maker but it was made well!
kvOG0iT.jpg
NhVxYNO.jpg
Rej9pg0.jpg
Qsoz9eM.jpg
zFMIHc8.jpg

It had been filed quite thin so I only removed the dings and filed very little. Honed and hung it after work today! Battled the hordes blackflies but I got 'er done! Thanks for checking it out guys!
EXqQ3eE.jpg

Edit; Wanted to mention that prior to hanging it truly was perfectly wedge shaped. Pounding in the birch wedge put a slight curve in the eye and so ruined the straight line.

this past winter i hung this no name axe-eye 8lb maul on a 28 inch straight handle, didn't care much for it, seemed a tad short. Picked up a 32 inch racing axe handle from baileys. Hung it this past week looks good feels good, gonna have to wait till i get some rounds to see if it performs how'd i'd like it to. It's about 3 inches longer in the hung handle then the other one. The handle was really thick and roughly finished (intentionally i believe) still might take the overall girth down a bit. Racing maul? ha ha
image by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr

this past winter i hung this no name axe-eye 8lb maul on a 28 inch straight handle, didn't care much for it, seemed a tad short. Picked up a 32 inch racing axe handle from baileys. Hung it this past week looks good feels good, gonna have to wait till i get some rounds to see if it performs how'd i'd like it to. It's about 3 inches longer in the hung handle then the other one. The handle was really thick and roughly finished (intentionally i believe) still might take the overall girth down a bit. Racing maul? ha ha
image by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr
I like the looks of that!

My project this past week.
Happy fathers day to me for limbs and such

Back in January I received these 3 from JB

20190128-190945.jpg

Then in April I obtained this one with a few other great items from JB

IMG-20190401-181508.jpg

I decided the heads needed to be swapped due to weight and handle length feel/balance.

The head to hang on the handle shown above

20190616-121601.jpg

20190609-142439.jpg

20190609-142431.jpg

20190609-142551.jpg

Then I found this

20190612-092515.jpg

20190612-092520.jpg

20190614-164058.jpg

20190615-192922.jpg

20190615-192718.jpg

20190615-192706.jpg

20190616-111900.jpg

20190616-111854.jpg

20190616-111827.jpg

20190616-092422.jpg

3 1/8lbs
Connie...old boy...
22 1/2" straight (oak?)

The head that originally came on the straight haft...future project

20190611-142053.jpg

20190611-142104.jpg

20190607-184033.jpg

I appreciate your craftsmanship in retoring those but I think those might not be worth the effort. The one with the failing forge weld has likely lost the last of its high carbon steel. The chipping pattern on the 2nd one suggests a bad heat treat. Your considerable skills might be better used on less used axes.

I say this as much for the benefit of the forum as for your benefit. I like to pick my battles.

That haft is definitely oak! I don't think any other American wood has such strong rays. Could be wrong but I haven't seen it. Great job man I can tell you put a ton of work into them! I do agree with SP though. I've learned to save my energy for ones that have a lot of life left.
You must've run into the spot where the dissimilar steels met. Is that what you think? I've never seen that before! Interesting...

Back