What did you rehang today?

Here are three I put handles in this week. First picture of them before.
https://flic.kr/p/2gfeGKS
This knotklipper took a lot of work to file since someone had ground the edge and made it hollow ground in the process.
The handle is 32".
https://flic.kr/p/2gvHCDo
Woodslasher mounted on 32" handle for my father-in-law who is only 5'-2" tall.
https://flic.kr/p/2gvHepG
Woodslasher mounted on 36" handle I found at Lowe's. This one was pitted from rust so bad I sanded it some and then blued it.
https://flic.kr/p/2gvHhvw

I spent a long time filing this one even though it was in great shape to begin with. After polishing I filled the etch with "parchment white" paint and then cold blued the head 4 times.
brNJfCb.jpg

I hung it yesterday evening.
xUw6kmx.jpg
nAa3nc3.jpg
OuZZkps.jpg
ddwVogi.jpg
5RXiWxP.jpg
LMw73A0.jpg

I'm pleased with it! I'm trying to only buy nice ones from now on. I think I may try a different finish at some point. Thanks for checking it out and take care everyone!
Zq2OpNp.jpg

I spent a long time filing this one even though it was in great shape to begin with. After polishing I filled the etch with "parchment white" paint and then cold blued the head 4 times.
brNJfCb.jpg

I hung it yesterday evening.
xUw6kmx.jpg
nAa3nc3.jpg
OuZZkps.jpg
ddwVogi.jpg
5RXiWxP.jpg
LMw73A0.jpg

I'm pleased with it! I'm trying to only buy nice ones from now on. I think I may try a different finish at some point. Thanks for checking it out and take care everyone!
Zq2OpNp.jpg
I’ve gotta try cold blue. What kind do you use? Beautiful work.

That certainly is a nice one!
A+ work and that haft looks wonderful!

I’ve gotta try cold blue. What kind do you use? Beautiful work.
Thank you for the kind words!
I use birchwood casey "super blue". 15629751904578655465917246827433.jpg I just follow the instructions on the label putting extra emphasis on thoroughly but gently polishing with 000 steel wool in between coats.
I need to go back through the posts and look at what Ithinkverydeeply uses for product and method. I like the cold blue but regardless of how careful you are you'll find some streaks in it.
I enjoy having some heads bright steel, others with natural patina and some with a forced patina. Just varies from axe to axe. Here's one of each; 15629754484456099224193816755114.jpg

I understand this might be a highly guarded secret and I might not get an answer ( :cool: ), but would be interested to know your method.

Bob
No secrets here! It's all in the above post. I just polish the head by hand with light strokes using 600 grit. Wash it to degrease it and then starting with step 5; 15630368464206439241568523263434.jpg
I do spend extra time buffing it with 000 steel wool. Nothing fancy at all I just follow the directions! Except for the last step. I use this awesome product;15630371167184423213393060191522.jpgi love this stuff. It's great on literally everything. And nontoxic! Even use it on dry leather to give it suppleness.

I'm a Gunzilla person myself for CLP, but have heard good things about Ballistol. Slip 2000 for lubrication and marine tuff cloths for corrosion prevention. A tuff cloth is a great thing. Easy to toss in the pack and works as advertised. Heaven sent for corrosion prevention in the backcountry.

This one was not technically rehung today, but I just finished off the handle.
It is a 3lb Campbell's XXX on a 29" piece of white ash with a back wedge also of ash. Took it camping this past week and it was excellent for splitting some campfire wood. The combination of heavy poll and narrow bit focuses the energy of the swing to a small point and the wedge shape really pops even knotty twisted stuff apart. I mix raw linseed and some crushed charcoal for the finish. The charcoal sticks only to the earlywood and gives an interesting contrast.

EpcvNBI.jpg

Snq4oMj.jpg

It is a 3lb Campbell's XXX on a 29" piece of white ash with a back wedge also of ash. Took it camping this past week and it was excellent for splitting some campfire wood. The combination of heavy poll and narrow bit focuses the energy of the swing to a small point and the wedge shape really pops even knotty twisted stuff apart. I mix raw linseed and some crushed charcoal for the finish. The charcoal sticks only to the earlywood and gives an interesting contrast.

EpcvNBI.jpg

Snq4oMj.jpg
That's an axe used in slaughterhouses (not anymore haha), and it's the most interesting refinished axe that I have seen in a while.

EpcvNBI.jpg

Snq4oMj.jpg

I like the use of the back wedge. Nice to see something different once in a while.

Back