1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks. One of the things I use it for are making wedges with a push cut, using the bench hook to hold the wedge stock.

Bob

garry3, A17, Old Axeman and 3 others like this.
  2. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Yes sir I use mine for the same thing!! A semi rare tool to find in vintage form. Very cool!!

junkenstien, Square_peg and rjdankert like this.
  3. Flyrod444

Flyrod444

Jan 7, 2018
    Here are three I put handles in this week. First picture of them before.
    https://flic.kr/p/2gfeGKS
    This knotklipper took a lot of work to file since someone had ground the edge and made it hollow ground in the process.
    The handle is 32".
    https://flic.kr/p/2gvHCDo
    Woodslasher mounted on 32" handle for my father-in-law who is only 5'-2" tall.
    https://flic.kr/p/2gvHepG
    Woodslasher mounted on 36" handle I found at Lowe's. This one was pitted from rust so bad I sanded it some and then blued it.
    https://flic.kr/p/2gvHhvw

4. Old Axeman

Old Axeman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2015
    I also find the cranked neck gouge (incannel) a very useful tool.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I spent a long time filing this one even though it was in great shape to begin with. After polishing I filled the etch with "parchment white" paint and then cold blued the head 4 times. [​IMG]
    I hung it yesterday evening. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm pleased with it! I'm trying to only buy nice ones from now on. I think I may try a different finish at some point. Thanks for checking it out and take care everyone![​IMG]

6. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    That certainly is a nice one!

A17, Agent_H, Miller '72 and 2 others like this.
  7. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    A+ work and that haft looks wonderful!

A17, Yankee Josh and Miller '72 like this.
  8. Maine20

Maine20

Aug 8, 2017
    I’ve gotta try cold blue. What kind do you use? Beautiful work.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  9. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Thank you for the kind words!
    I use birchwood casey "super blue". 15629751904578655465917246827433.jpg I just follow the instructions on the label putting extra emphasis on thoroughly but gently polishing with 000 steel wool in between coats.
    I need to go back through the posts and look at what Ithinkverydeeply uses for product and method. I like the cold blue but regardless of how careful you are you'll find some streaks in it.
    I enjoy having some heads bright steel, others with natural patina and some with a forced patina. Just varies from axe to axe. Here's one of each; 15629754484456099224193816755114.jpg

10. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    I understand this might be a highly guarded secret and I might not get an answer ( :cool: ), but would be interested to know your method.

Bob

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  11. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    No secrets here! It's all in the above post. I just polish the head by hand with light strokes using 600 grit. Wash it to degrease it and then starting with step 5; 15630368464206439241568523263434.jpg
    I do spend extra time buffing it with 000 steel wool. Nothing fancy at all I just follow the directions! Except for the last step. I use this awesome product; 15630371167184423213393060191522.jpg i love this stuff. It's great on literally everything. And nontoxic! Even use it on dry leather to give it suppleness.

12. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I'm a Gunzilla person myself for CLP, but have heard good things about Ballistol. Slip 2000 for lubrication and marine tuff cloths for corrosion prevention. A tuff cloth is a great thing. Easy to toss in the pack and works as advertised. Heaven sent for corrosion prevention in the backcountry.

cityofthesouth, jblyttle, A17 and 3 others like this.
  13. Malus

Malus

Dec 24, 2018
    This one was not technically rehung today, but I just finished off the handle.
    It is a 3lb Campbell's XXX on a 29" piece of white ash with a back wedge also of ash. Took it camping this past week and it was excellent for splitting some campfire wood. The combination of heavy poll and narrow bit focuses the energy of the swing to a small point and the wedge shape really pops even knotty twisted stuff apart. I mix raw linseed and some crushed charcoal for the finish. The charcoal sticks only to the earlywood and gives an interesting contrast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    That's an axe used in slaughterhouses (not anymore haha), and it's the most interesting refinished axe that I have seen in a while.

Nbrackett, Fmont, Malus and 2 others like this.
  15. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I like the use of the back wedge. Nice to see something different once in a while.

Miller '72, Fmont, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  16. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Great hang and neat axe. Would love to have one.

[​IMG]

Bob

disduster, Fmont, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  17. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Thank you for posting such relevant and awesome info Bob. I love these old ads! Do you just Google search them case by case or do you have a library on your computer?
    Makes me think of Steve Tall. Anyone know if he is alright??

rjdankert, Fmont and junkenstien like this.
  18. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Way cool Cambell axe and hang.Remember reading about slaughterhouse axes and thinking that was awful light for a 2 thousand pound animal.Buddy of mine worked at a slaughterhouse in Poland in the 90s said they used a 10kg hammer and one hit didnt always get it done.

19. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [QUOTE
    Makes me think of Steve Tall. Anyone know if he is alright??[/QUOTE]

I have been wondering the same thing!! I hope he is doing well!!

Yankee Josh and Fmont like this.
  20. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    He's fine. Just busy with other stuff. I exchanged emails with him last week.

Brian Rust, jblyttle, Fmont and 2 others like this.