What did you rehang today?

Way cool Cambell axe and hang.Remember reading about slaughterhouse axes and thinking that was awful light for a 2 thousand pound animal.Buddy of mine worked at a slaughterhouse in Poland in the 90s said they used a 10kg hammer and one hit didnt always get it done.

Plumb made them, too. Probably all the big axe houses made them. They started out being for foresters. But they found use in the slaughterhouses and the makers started marketing them as such.

Killing%20Axe.jpg

canadianforestry15canauoft_0094.jpg

canadianforestry15canauoft_0093.jpg

Campbell%20Bros%20Killing%20Axe2.jpg

Buddy of mine worked at a slaughterhouse in Poland in the 90s said they used a 10kg hammer
I'm getting somewhat familiar with the feel of hatchets and smaller axes marked with metric weight. Needed conversion help to try to grasp that one:

10 kilogram = 22.046 226 218 lb, lbs

Holy crap:eek:, I'd need a dolly just to move something like that. And maybe an assistant to help put it on/off the dolly.:(

Bob

I'm surprised they haven't switched to the pneumatic hammer like they use to knock out fish. It'd have to be a lot stronger but I'd think more precise and therefore humane. But I'm not a slaughter house guy so I'm sure they know better. ;)

I like the use of the back wedge. Nice to see something different once in a while.

Thanks, I'd like to act like the back wedge was planned from the start, but it was actually just salvaging the handle from my stupidity. Some might have seen in the handle making/repair thread how I managed to chisel off the back of the shoulder in vise jaws. The back wedge was inspired by your hewing axe with the three part side wedge system.

I'm glad I don't have to slaughter any cows with this axe :thumbsup:

I'm surprised they haven't switched to the pneumatic hammer like they use to knock out fish. It'd have to be a lot stronger but I'd think more precise and therefore humane. But I'm not a slaughter house guy so I'm sure they know better. ;)

They do use a captive bolt gun type device. I have have a smaller captive bolt gun myself for dispatching wildlife in areas projectiles aren't permitted, i.e. too close to cities. I much prefer a .22. It's better for both of us.

They do use a captive bolt gun type device. I have have a smaller captive bolt gun myself for dispatching wildlife in areas projectiles aren't permitted, i.e. too close to cities. I much prefer a .22. It's better for both of us.
That makes me feel better. I'm not a tree hugger or anything but the idea of guys walking around and whacking cows in the head with a 20lb hammer just doesn't seem civilized.... Or efficient...

Keen Kutter Rockaway. Worked on and off on this haft for a long time. Hung it yesterday with a long Koa wedge (I cut my kerfs with a real thin pull saw). Today I cut in some facets, scraped it leaving some tell tale rasp marks for character, did a bit of a London polish, stained it with my de-rusting vinegar, then blo/beeswax/turps. This is my favorite. It only needs to be honed, it's already sharp and ~20° - came that way. I'm not the first one to take good care of it, apparently. I want to post a billion pics but whatever.

Itvd, I'll be in touch about what kind of leather to order. I've now several to hook up with leather, and this beaut deserves the works. If I can turn out something half as good as your work I'll be ecstatic.

20190717_205801-1411x778.jpg 20190717_210833-1411x1881.jpg

Thanks OA! If I owned the place I'd be on it. But it's just a cheap bachelor pad I can abuse while I sort out my next move. Which I think is going to remain private sector, btw. I'm thinking I'm going to get 10 acres in SE Michigan and 40-80 in the UP. Set myself up for now, later, and fun in between.

Keen Kutter Rockaway. Worked on and off on this haft for a long time. Hung it yesterday with a long Koa wedge (I cut my kerfs with a real thin pull saw). Today I cut in some facets, scraped it leaving some tell tale rasp marks for character, did a bit of a London polish, stained it with my de-rusting vinegar, then blo/beeswax/turps. This is my favorite. It only needs to be honed, it's already sharp and ~20° - came that way. I'm not the first one to take good care of it, apparently. I want to post a billion pics but whatever.

Itvd, I'll be in touch about what kind of leather to order. I've now several to hook up with leather, and this beaut deserves the works. If I can turn out something half as good as your work I'll be ecstatic.

View attachment 1163389 View attachment 1163390

That is a thing of beauty!!!

Full marks!

Back