What did you rehang today?

I really like Germantown stuff. They made some really pretty tools.

This isn't a hang but here's something. It's not fancy woodworking by any means, but I had a little fun with the old branding. It resets evenly across the head and haft, and stood on its side it hangs from the little peg. Looks real good stood up, opened like a book.
View attachment 1168863
Wow that's great! Really very nice display and well done. Paradoxically "thinking inside the box". Lol

This isn't a hang but here's something. It's not fancy woodworking by any means, but I had a little fun with the old branding. It resets evenly across the head and haft, and stood on its side it hangs from the little peg. Looks real good stood up, opened like a book.
View attachment 1168863

View attachment 1168863
Great project! Really nice display.

View attachment 1168863
Leather bound and I would have suspected a fine double rifle.
That's awesome!:thumbsup:

Didn't Plumb buy German town or am I confused? :confused:

I restored and rehung this old sawyers hammer.
SyL6foI.jpg

SLYdar9.jpg

xLnkUh7.jpg

I’m not sure what the “SDA” stands for, any information would be appreciated?!
hke3vRo.jpg

QJIqDQe.jpg

Apologies for the redundancy, here are more photos of it in the hammer thread:
Sledge Hammers!

Got it hung yesterday.
9Rf7GLn.jpg

It has a hundred percent contact for about 3/4" up inside the bottom of the eye. I got another 1/4" father down after these photos;
sdgvINM.jpg
bxpgriR.jpg

I started with a very thick(they all are I know) Ames TT haft that I slimmed down as well as shortened to 34" final length for this axe. This one is a beast. Chops like hell.
npRk3M1.jpg
cB3S0Jy.jpg
ZSk7aS6.jpg

XtC9zVe.jpg

I don't mind the heartwood/sapwood. It's fairly straight grain so should hold up fine.
QeLhyVQ.jpg
nReHL8V.jpg

Not bad for 22 bucks! It'll make a darn good user. I have several others that are minty and won't see use but this one will. Have a great afternoon guys!
PrkxpFN.jpg
MpzuejA.jpg

The thing about the Ames handles: I too would rather have too much than too little. The problem is they are all 36". If they made a 34" and/or 32" it'd be really nice. Because there's usually one or three in the stack at HD or Lowe's with good grain, and their fatness makes them good blanks. Others these days are made out of a 5/4 board or the like, skinny sticks with horrible shapes.

Nice hang Josh! Super clean, as always.

I cut off a 36" handle from a Collins Homestead I've had for years. Always liked the handle so I thought there must be something I can do with the cut off portion.

So today I shortened it to 24" and traced the eye on top and went to work with a Shinto and some 80 grit. I now have 23" of fun. I'm continually impressed with the Shinto rasp.

Dun.jpg

Dun3.jpg

Dun1.jpg

Dun2.jpg

View attachment 1168863

Awesome!

Yep, they warp, I straighten them and move on. If I lived where I could cut hickory staves it would be different.

I have at least a dozen installed with no problems, not that I doubt you. I had 2 spares that warped but they were sitting in flood waters for 2 weeks, so I'll give them a pass on those.

Got it hung yesterday.
9Rf7GLn.jpg

It has a hundred percent contact for about 3/4" up inside the bottom of the eye. I got another 1/4" father down after these photos;
sdgvINM.jpg
bxpgriR.jpg

I started with a very thick(they all are I know) Ames TT haft that I slimmed down as well as shortened to 34" final length for this axe. This one is a beast. Chops like hell.
npRk3M1.jpg
cB3S0Jy.jpg
ZSk7aS6.jpg

XtC9zVe.jpg

I don't mind the heartwood/sapwood. It's fairly straight grain so should hold up fine.
QeLhyVQ.jpg
nReHL8V.jpg

Not bad for 22 bucks! It'll make a darn good user. I have several others that are minty and won't see use but this one will. Have a great afternoon guys!
PrkxpFN.jpg
MpzuejA.jpg
Nice work! Like the swell you put on it. I have thinned and shortened a few of those Ames handles. I hung a homestead boys axe on one and got was able to get it down to 30 inches. It would be nice if they offered a shorter size. What is the weight of that head?

Thank you! I've found after seating the head down near the shoulder and cutting the swell I can get down to a 33" haft for a full size axe (2-1/2" eye) out of a 36" Ames haft.
It weighed #4-2.9oz prior to filing and honing it.
YUKFsjT.jpg

I bet it weighs #4- 2oz now. I forgot to weigh it after all the work. It was just too heavy for a 30" haft in my opinion. 34", as this one is, is my ideal length for falling.

I cut off a 36" handle from a Collins Homestead I've had for years. Always liked the handle so I thought there must be something I can do with the cut off portion.

So today I shortened it to 24" and traced the eye on top and went to work with a Shinto and some 80 grit. I now have 23" of fun. I'm continually impressed with the Shinto rasp.

Dun.jpg

Dun3.jpg

Dun1.jpg

Dun2.jpg
it seems everyone makes one of these at one point, i think @Agent_H has one too. mine was a no-name on a kelly perfect handle that had a really sucky hang on it.

I have at least a dozen installed with no problems, not that I doubt you. I had 2 spares that warped but they were sitting in flood waters for 2 weeks, so I'll give them a pass on those.
Probably be better in regard to warping if I ordered them with the lacquer on. Their staves are air dried and their dry isn't dry for my climate. Just easier for me to get them with no lacquer so they can dry and then straighten those that need it.

I've had this axe for about a year and a half.
bT9dCqY.jpg

I can tell the eye was real rusted out at one point because it's oddly oversized. Anyhow I rehung it on a 30" S&N helve this morning.
YqLe5k2.jpg

I was able to seat it another 1/8" or so upon final smashing with the 3lb sledge.
Kper3pG.jpg
XqTkPUI.jpg

You can see a small vacant spot right in front of the eye. There wasn't enough haft to fill it so i just hung it where it was. Ihad plenty of contact and It's real tight everywhere else so I'm sure it'll be fine. Still bugs me though...
apcDXOX.jpg
mlQp9qH.jpg
CBeE5Rp.jpg
VgBo4d2.jpg

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend!
6Nex0AV.jpg

Back