What did you rehang today?

I had this fire axe for around 6months. It had a thin layer of rust over the whole thing and red paint on top of that. I never saw any marking on it for six months then I finally found those last handles and decided to clean in. I found a mark on the back side. Kelly Axe Manufacturing Charleston WVA USA! I was very happy to say the least.

This is another head I have had for a long time. Firestone Standard. It has some rough pitting on it but man I love it!! I used the 24” handle I got with the fire axe’s handle last week. It was made for this handle. The kerf was cut already(the only handle in that group that was cut) and was off center but it is beautiful regardless. This may be my new favorite axe!!! Thanks for looking!!

I had this fire axe for around 6months. It had a thin layer of rust over the whole thing and red paint on top of that. I never saw any marking on it for six months then I finally found those last handles and decided to clean in. I found a mark on the back side. Kelly Axe Manufacturing Charleston WVA USA! I was very happy to say the least.

This is another head I have had for a long time. Firestone Standard. It has some rough pitting on it but man I love it!! I used the 24” handle I got with the fire axe’s handle last week. It was made for this handle. The kerf was cut already(the only handle in that group that was cut) and was off center but it is beautiful regardless. This may be my new favorite axe!!! Thanks for looking!!

Brian, does the Firestone have a mark near the eye on the bit?

Sorry Agent I remember you asking that a while back. It looks like there was a mark maybe an “8” or two “00” possibly but because of the pitting on the top and bottom it is not clear. You said your had some kind of mark right??

Sorry Agent I remember you asking that a while back. It looks like there was a mark maybe an “8” or two “00” possibly but because of the pitting on the top and bottom it is not clear. You said your had some kind of mark right??

No problems - yeah, one had a shield/chevron looking mark and another I picked up has either a tree or a “4” in the same place.

The handle for the TT KELLY handmade came in.
Like most handles these days you could probably hit a homer with it, but JB Sure knows how to pick a good one.
I sure wouldn't find this nice of a piece of hickory at my nearest Lowe's or home Depot.
It should be a nice handle when I have the time to thin it down.

This just may be my first axe hang with no actual gaps anywhere.

The handle for the TT KELLY handmade came in.
Like most handles these days you could probably hit a homer with it, but JB Sure knows how to pick a good one.
I sure wouldn't find this nice of a piece of hickory at my nearest Lowe's or home Depot.
It should be a nice handle when I have the time to thin it down.

This just may be my first axe hang with no actual gaps anywhere.
Nicely done H&S! It's a good feeling having full contact. And it'll last a long time. My last hang has a small gap and it is still bothering me. Total contact, on the bottom especially, is key to a good hang.
That's a great looking hang! I forget do you burn firewood? Will you have an opportunity to use it anytime soon?

Nicely done H&S! It's a good feeling having full contact. And it'll last a long time. My last hang has a small gap and it is still bothering me. Total contact, on the bottom especially, is key to a good hang.
That's a great looking hang! I forget do you burn firewood? Will you have an opportunity to use it anytime soon?
Not unless I go to my mom's house and process some firewood for them.

The last time I truly needed an axe was about 5 years ago when I removed 4 little trees that had sprouted up in the side yard.
When they first sprouted we decided to just see what happens, eventually they got about 12 feet tall and I decided that was it.

Not unless I go to my mom's house and process some firewood for them.

The last time I truly needed an axe was about 5 years ago when I removed 4 little trees that had sprouted up in the side yard.
When they first sprouted we decided to just see what happens, eventually they got about 12 feet tall and I decided that was it.
Head over to mom's and chop wood and get some grub! :D
I had another question I meant to ask... Do the Lowes and Home Depots around you really have db handles?
Our Lowes left 10 years ago and the local HD only carries sb hafts.
I'm about 40 minutes away from the Peavey mfg. co. and they offer sb and db hafts but they are all white ash. I wish they offered hickory!! I like ash just fine but nothing beats hickory!

Head over to mom's and chop wood and get some grub! :D
I had another question I meant to ask... Do the Lowes and Home Depots around you really have db handles?
Our Lowes left 10 years ago and the local HD only carries sb hafts.
I'm about 40 minutes away from the Peavey mfg. co. and they offer sb and db hafts but they are all white ash. I wish they offered hickory!! I like ash just fine but nothing beats hickory!
Saw a couple at HD last year which were pretty poor, but that's not what I'm there for when I go to home Depot.
I've got a project to but supplies for here shortly so I'll look when I'm there just to see.
Lowe's I don't often go to, but while I don't remember what they did have axe handles the last time I was there.

I decided to go ahead and get to thinning this haft down.
I was gonna put it off because It can take a while and turn out like crap without the use of proper tools.

Well I finally unlocked the secret to my spokeshave and am done with the shaping, and just have to get to the smoothing and finishing.

I'm telling you this axe has really been too good to be true, the head was an excellent deal, the handle I got from JB is a near perfect piece of hickory, the hang went about as well as I could hope for, and the reshaping of the handle went better than it ever has for me o_O

I discovered that to get the spokeshave adjusted properly you just have to give the back of the blade a light tap or two with a small hammer.
I was loosening the screw and could only get too much or two little so I decided to try tapping it into position and it worked like a charm.
I've had it for months and it's the first time I've had any success with it, man is the spokeshave a joyful tool to use.

Hickory n steel Hickory n steel , nice work!

In the same vein, I was digging in the box I carry for tire chains, fire starter, whatever sockets I can never find when they're needed, and re-found this one from travels:

Slatchet

Slatchet

Slatchet

Slatchet

Not really a rehang. More of a scrape and oil but along the same lines.
Thanks, everything just went right on this one and I'm quite pleased.
T
a beautiful little hatchet.
I love the head shape , the handle shape, and the wear / age to it. The worn paint on an old axe just looks cool to me.

Would this just be a TT or did they have a Woodslasher hatchet ?

Thanks, everything just went right on this one and I'm quite pleased.
T
a beautiful little hatchet.
I love the head shape , the handle shape, and the wear / age to it. The worn paint on an old axe just looks cool to me.

Would this just be a TT or did they have a Woodslasher hatchet ?

My assumption was it was a stickered Woodslasher hatchet given the "Fire Engine Red, 14in handle, top of head ground".
It works pretty well for general stuff.

I love those slasher hatchets. I have a flint Edge hatchet and a few slashers. I compared them once and I found that the older of the two slashers was pretty much the same hardness and feel as the flinty. Cool stuff. The newer of the two slashers was still good steel but it was slightly softer.

I recently found this little saw setting hammer at a shop a few hours away from my house. It doesn’t have any markings but I’m sure it either Simmons’s or Atkins. So today I finally cleaned it up, straightened it and rehung it on a piece of black walnut I turned on the lathe.

I am a novice turner to put it lightly but I have have turned a few things now. The handle came out pretty good. I used a piece of brass at the top and folded it over. I took it off the lathe and the top wasn’t turned down enough to fit the brass so I have to take a rasp to it. Left a few tooling marks but that just shows it’s hand made lol. I used BLO and then buffed in some paste wax to finish it up. Im pretty happy with it! Thanks for looking!!

While I had the buffing wheel out I went over cleaned up some of my drivers also. I need to make the pile smaller still lol

I recently found this little saw setting hammer at a shop a few hours away from my house. It doesn’t have any markings but I’m sure it either Simmons’s or Atkins. So today I finally cleaned it up, straightened it and rehung it on a piece of black walnut I turned on the lathe.

I am a novice turner to put it lightly but I have have turned a few things now. The handle came out pretty good. I used a piece of brass at the top and folded it over. I took it off the lathe and the top wasn’t turned down enough to fit the brass so I have to take a rasp to it. Left a few tooling marks but that just shows it’s hand made lol. I used BLO and then buffed in some paste wax to finish it up. Im pretty happy with it! Thanks for looking!!

While I had the buffing wheel out I went over cleaned up some of my drivers also. I need to make the pile smaller still lol
That is beautiful Brian! Well done mate! You totally put my handle and brass work to shame. I have a wood lathe I need to assemble and start using. That's why I love this forum so much. I get a lot of inspiration from you guys....

I agree! I get inspired all the time from people on here! And thanks for the kind words. You should put it together man! When you get started in it you will love it. I have made a few mallets and lots of chisel handles and other handles. They are a lot of fun to use. But can be dangerous so be careful lol I have had some close calls lol

Back