What did you rehang today?

Does your axe have flat cheeks or convex? Flat cheeked axes don't really result in that shape.

Good files are worth hunting down/buying regardless :thumbsup:

I’m at work right now and don’t have the axe with me (what with it being a retail environment and that sort of thing being frowned upon), but I think it’s convex. It’s an old Plumb Rockaway or Jersey. I think the steel is just too hard for the file I have.

Good files are worth hunting down/buying regardless :thumbsup:

I've got some expensive files, but I keep finding myself reaching for this particular bahco oberg cut. I'll have to find out what it is specifically.

Whatever you do make sure you get a file card and use it.

Any suggestions on what kind of file I should be looking for, Agent_H? Types of teeth?

If you find some more information on that file, Fmont, I’d be interested to know it.

Exposing my ignorance: what’s a file card?

Started with this head.
PicsArt_09-13-08-306901.JPG

Hit it with the angle grinder
PicsArt_09-23-03-314964.JPG

Rusty blued the head
PicsArt_09-25-09-317360.JPG

Started working the handle
PicsArt_09-26-09-318270.JPG

PicsArt_09-29-07-320921.JPG

Finished it
PicsArt_09-30-10-321313.JPG

PicsArt_09-30-10-321315.JPG

I really like what you did there! I hope to do something similar to 2 pounder, though I don’t have an angle grinder or anything like it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Any suggestions on what kind of file I should be looking for, Agent_H? Types of teeth?

If you find some more information on that file, Fmont, I’d be interested to know it.

Exposing my ignorance: what’s a file card?

New files don’t seem to stand up to steel like older ones do but it’s tough to find them NOS.

Vintage Heller, Nicholson, Simonds, and Disston Porter are what I use the most.

The only new ones I have are Bahco Oberg, Pferd, and FDick (from Square_peg)- they are all pretty nice.
I’ve found Atkins Silver Steel files are sweet as well.

Mainly Bastard/Mill Bastard but its good to have several from coarse to fine.

A file card is a little metal toothed brush to clear the shavings out of the file’s teeth while you are using it.

I finally got around to rehanging this Michiganesqué pattern German Axe.
When I got it the rust was thick and the poll a bit hammered.
7-A2-CABD3-AC76-4-AED-9874-AB915-F7645-CB.jpg

I used the new handle I picked up yesterday from Hardwick’s, same style as the one AaronGP AaronGP got!
76WDIvc.jpg

Unfortunately I did not take a photo of it sanded and looking bleach white nor did I weigh it before flame treating. But it feels lighter and more lively.
dTCYu9g.jpg

After flame treating, I rubbed some black wax in around the knob and up around the shoulder to hide file marks.
Gl2W3wy.jpg

nmpBlw7.jpg

I used Caswell’s Cold Black Oxide to touch up the areas on the poll that I ground.
ZPVDAw4.jpg

After hanging I used a little more black antiquing wax on the wedge so it doesn’t look like it was just born yesterday.
UrR2lKV.jpg

SYWCarr.jpg

qWtPDJG.jpg

jtfJoo3.jpg

oFAy9d9.jpg

1I6uK5o.jpg

35-D8-DC77-AE22-4243-B22-F-04498799-E020.jpg

It’s got a heavy coat of wax on the handle now making it look dull. I’ll wait till tomorrow and burnish it to a low luster.
Cheers!

I used the new handle I picked up yesterday from Hardwick’s, same style as the one AaronGP AaronGP got!
76WDIvc.jpg

Unfortunately I did not take a photo of it sanded and looking bleach white nor did I weigh it before flame treating. But it feels lighter and more lively.
dTCYu9g.jpg

After flame treating, I rubbed some black wax in around the knob and up around the shoulder to hide file marks.
Gl2W3wy.jpg

nmpBlw7.jpg

I used Caswell’s Cold Black Oxide to touch up the areas on the poll that I ground.
ZPVDAw4.jpg

After hanging I used a little more black antiquing wax on the wedge so it doesn’t look like it was just born yesterday.
UrR2lKV.jpg

SYWCarr.jpg

qWtPDJG.jpg

jtfJoo3.jpg

oFAy9d9.jpg

1I6uK5o.jpg

It’s got a heavy coat of wax on the handle now making it look dull. I’ll wait till tomorrow and burnish it to a low luster.
Cheers!

Great work on that Wörder & Pandel!

I recently found this little saw setting hammer at a shop a few hours away from my house. It doesn’t have any markings but I’m sure it either Simmons’s or Atkins. So today I finally cleaned it up, straightened it and rehung it on a piece of black walnut I turned on the lathe.

I am a novice turner to put it lightly but I have have turned a few things now. The handle came out pretty good. I used a piece of brass at the top and folded it over. I took it off the lathe and the top wasn’t turned down enough to fit the brass so I have to take a rasp to it. Left a few tooling marks but that just shows it’s hand made lol. I used BLO and then buffed in some paste wax to finish it up. Im pretty happy with it! Thanks for looking!!

While I had the buffing wheel out I went over cleaned up some of my drivers also. I need to make the pile smaller still lol

I love seeing old tools and reading posts here however, I would like to make a request. Should you have the urge to photo your latest finds, could you please park your vehicle first.

76WDIvc.jpg

dTCYu9g.jpg

Gl2W3wy.jpg

nmpBlw7.jpg

ZPVDAw4.jpg

UrR2lKV.jpg

SYWCarr.jpg

qWtPDJG.jpg

jtfJoo3.jpg

oFAy9d9.jpg

1I6uK5o.jpg

Cheers!

Wonderful work! I've been documenting every step of the work I'm doing on a Kelly Perfect single bit, hopefully to share before too long.

I have never purchased on of these off brand ones myself but from what I have read and seen on videos they are not very good at all. Paul sellers put out a brand on his blog that he says is the best bang for your buck. I would try to find a decent vintage one to be honest. You can find them on eBay fairly cheap.

This set of spokeshaves seems like a pretty good deal, but what do you folks think?
Same is true for those as for axes. You can get much better quality plus have the added joy of a project if you keep an eye out. I don't personally know of a reputable company making new spoke shaves. I'm sure someone is making them but if they are good quality they'll necessarily be expensive. Check out fleabay and you'll find a good one. Just look for one that has a lot of iron left.

Back