What did you rehang today?

That is a cool file! I wanted to buy a metal file there too but was overwhelmed by the selection and did not know which one to get..?
0268636-D-DC9-F-4-E67-9-DE3-E7-E16549-A9-B1.jpg

A536-BAFC-8-E66-48-E6-BDA5-143878-E78549.jpg

4359-AC24-D44-E-4-A09-8-F8-A-65-AAD8-F510-F0.jpg

465-E695-E-E094-4488-8988-A7222-D0992-A7.jpg

Still
Not sure which one to get.. where did he pull the $55 file from? These all seem cheap, lots of Simond’s...

..oh. I didn’t even look at the lower shelves in that file case?!?
07-D5-F8-B5-FDC0-41-E5-BD60-E19-A395-F0-A81.jpg

The one I got came from a box on the top shelf in your fourth picture. I just looked through things until I found something with a pretty aggressive tooth pattern. The expensive ones are in the locked case, lower shelf (your fifth picture).

The one I got came from a box on the top shelf in your fourth picture. I just looked through things until I found something with a pretty aggressive tooth pattern. The expensive ones are in the locked case, lower shelf (your fifth picture).

Do they have rooms for hire at Hardwick's? I want to take a vacation inside the store.

That blue/black handled file hanging is a Pferd utility file, so the $55 one might've been one of their corinox line.

Ahh it was Corinox. Down with the rasps.
D23666-FE-4849-4-D64-BE6-D-CE0-DE3-C40-CB2.jpg

3-D927-F12-BF3-D-42-CC-BAA3-7-B99-FA2-BD2-C5.jpg

CF2-F2648-B77-A-4-BF5-901-E-99297826-E52-D.jpg

So which should I get?...

Oh my ithinkverydeeply ithinkverydeeply , and to be able to inspect each of them before buying!

Since we are talking files, I think you need to try the Simonds Nu-Kut – they are amazing but get a look at the file itself. From all outward appearances they look the same but you will want the ones made in the USA. The two on the right are USA made (deeply stamped brand/origin/pattern on the heel) and those seem to last a long time while the two on the left are made in Honduras (lightly stamped brand/pattern on the heel, origin stamped on the tang) seem to wear out faster and skate over the area just worked with the American-made ones.
C9-C1-A489-1-C67-4-B08-8-AC7-E9-CF29-C88-E25.jpg

You want this one:
E571-B531-CD9-F-41-AD-BEDC-7-AD51-FAD6449.jpg

Also, if someone can id this 14” half-round Pferd pattern, I want another one ;)as it takes off mushrooming-sets and chows out new profiles on worn axes quickly:
6244-AD15-80-A6-444-B-A51-B-ADC51033-C417.jpg

An 8" 2nd cut would indeed be pretty slow going, putting a lot of wear on a really nice file.

For shape look for a mill or flat. For length 10" or 12"+. If you go with bigger than 12 don't get a bastard. You could start with a single cut bastard or second cut if they have a bigger second cut. I'm reading that and it all sounds very confusing, but I promise you it makes sense lol. I'd just pick up a Simonds or Bahco for the first one until you're sure you're not drawing back on the file accidentally during use and what not.

Oh my ithinkverydeeply ithinkverydeeply , and to be able to inspect each of them before buying!

Since we are talking files, I think you need to try the Simonds Nu-Kut – they are amazing but get a look at the file itself. From all outward appearances they look the same but you will want the ones made in the USA. The two on the right are USA made (deeply stamped brand/origin/pattern on the heel) and those seem to last a long time while the two on the left are made in Honduras (lightly stamped brand/pattern on the heel, origin stamped on the tang) seem to wear out faster and skate over the area just worked with the American-made ones.
C9-C1-A489-1-C67-4-B08-8-AC7-E9-CF29-C88-E25.jpg

You want this one:
E571-B531-CD9-F-41-AD-BEDC-7-AD51-FAD6449.jpg

Also, if someone can id this 14” half-round Pferd pattern, I want another one ;)as it takes off mushrooming-sets and chows out new profiles on worn axes quickly:
6244-AD15-80-A6-444-B-A51-B-ADC51033-C417.jpg

I need to try those out! Tell me, it looks like the part numbers are the same? Is the only way to make sure you're getting a USA made to actually have it in hand?

I can not tell you guys how happy it makes me that files and stones are forefront on sharpening now on this forum. I first started here to protest all the misinformation about sharpening an axe with power tools. When you talk about using power tools (I only use them to profile an axe, never to sharpen) You MUST stress the dangers to the axe. Many good axes are trashed by readers who dont have complete information. Thanks!

I can not tell you guys how happy it makes me that files and stones are forefront on sharpening now on this forum. I first started here to protest all the misinformation about sharpening an axe with power tools. When you talk about using power tools (I only use them to profile an axe, never to sharpen) You MUST stress the dangers to the axe. Many good axes are trashed by readers who dont have complete information. Thanks!

If you’re not going to do it right, why bother doing it at all? I am continually inspired by the older folks I volunteer with—their knowledge, skills, and experience—and while learning from them strive to be the bridge bringing it to the people younger than me.

Where did you find that particular Tennessee Hickory haft, if I may ask?

It was part of a custom order I placed with TH and mentioned recently. It came oval and I octagonalized it. It's actually 10-sided not 8-sided. I gifted that axe to a forum member who gifted me a fine axe. I really liked the shape of the bevels in that Craftsman and hated to part with it. But his gift warranted something that I hated to part with.

Any suggestions on what kind of file I should be looking for, Agent_H? Types of teeth?

I'm very fond of Simonds Multi-Kut pattern.
http://www.simondssaw.com/handfiles/Pages/Items/73244000.aspx

The current stuff is made in China but it's not too bad. If you can find NOS American made Multi-Kut files then you'll really have something! Heller made the pattern first and a NOS Heller is the cream of the crop. Heller was bought out by Simonds decades ago. Sandvik offered this pattern in a line made in Portugal. Those are pretty darn good! I don't think they're still made.

I had no idea what make the file was before I bought it since the hand-written price tag was taped over that bit. The gentleman who was helping me, upon hearing what I needed for, first showed me a $55 file that he was recommending based on it being really hard. I knew that what I was looking for was something with more aggressive teeth and so we found that one. I'll definitely let folks know how well it holds up over time.

I think you'll find that pattern to be ideal for axes. Schmidt is a German name. I'd be they're a reseller/rebrander for Sandvik files made in Portugal.

That is a cool file! I wanted to buy a metal file there too but was overwhelmed by the selection and did not know which one to get..?

Those Simonds Maxi-Sharp black oxide files are pretty damn good.

In general you want a double cut second cut file for profiling axes. Any vintage American or European double cut second cut file will do a good job. I'm especially fond of the Multi-Kut pattern. A Simonds Multi-Kut Maxi-Sharp black oxide file is a good file even if it is made in China.

Here's a filing primer.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-did-you-rehang-today.1064461/page-64#post-15193745

Those Simonds Maxi-Sharp black oxide files are pretty damn good.

In general you want a double cut second cut file for profiling axes. Any vintage American or European double cut second cut file will do a good job. I'm especially fond of the Multi-Kut pattern. A Simonds Multi-Kut Maxi-Sharp black oxide file is a good file even if it is made in China.

Here's a filing primer.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-did-you-rehang-today.1064461/page-64#post-15193745
Perfect. Thanks for your time!

It was part of a custom order I placed with TH and mentioned recently. It came oval and I octagonalized it. It's actually 10-sided not 8-sided. I gifted that axe to a forum member who gifted me a fine axe. I really liked the shape of the bevels in that Craftsman and hated to part with it. But his gift warranted something that I hated to part with.

I didn't realize you could order directly from them. Their web site doesn't make that at all clear.

Back