What did you rehang today?

Very well done, it's obvious you put a lot of time and thought into each step. Thank you for sharing and putting yourself out there. Look forward to see your next project. The hand made strike guard is a nice touch. Makes it just that much more personal.

Thanks Meek1! You're right, I have spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted to proceed with this one. My next project is already under way, so hopefully I'll have some things to share in the next couple of weeks! One other consideration about the strike guard, that I didn't even realize would be a factor when I first conceptualized it, is how rare they seem to be. So it's just another way or personalizing my axes!

Great job Aaron! Particularly for a first ever hang!
Looks well fitted, I’d be surprised if you needed that metal wedge. You may consider foregoing that in the future, if you think it detracts from the look or compromises the grain. I tend to only use them on hammers but I’m sure others have their own opinions.

Thank you ithinkverydeeply ithinkverydeeply ! I suspect you're right about the metal wedge being unnecessary. I installed it because I just had the idea in my head, at the time, that it was a required step. Now, after all the time I've spent reading the posts here, I realize that it isn't. I will probably forego them in the future.

Just finishing up this hang with a mask. Still playing with the design of my last one. Despite a couple rivet locations that I am less than thrilled with, it’ll get the job done and now I can put it on the rack safely.
B00-A7-E08-7761-44-EA-9-BCC-A9-E1961130-DA.jpg

E18-F7766-8-B9-C-4719-8-E9-F-C4-A9-BCF866-F0.jpg

CE547-ADB-3156-434-D-9-CA5-ECE3-A05680-A7.jpg

BAA21-AFD-9823-4-D4-D-8-CA5-AF9197165738.jpg

I didn’t have a gun metal button stud to match the rivets but I’ll get that later.

Gorgeous work! You've given me something to aspire to.

I received a new [eBay] head in the mail today, opened it, and found that a piece of the heal had been broken off in the packaging (yes, the packaging was pretty damaged when it arrived). :mad: I'm a little irritated about this, even though it isn't the worst damage it could have suffered.

broken_tooth.jpg

I received a new [eBay] head in the mail today, opened it, and found that a piece of the heal had been broken off in the packaging (yes, the packaging was pretty damaged when it arrived). :mad: I'm a little irritated about this, even though it isn't the worst damage it could have suffered.

broken_tooth.jpg
Ugh. Awful. Was it packed poorly? I’d seek a refund.

broken_tooth.jpg
Sorry to see that happen Aaron. Always disappointing. The packaged was likely abused or dropped?

Ugh. Awful. Was it packed poorly? I’d seek a refund.

Sorry to see that happen Aaron. Always disappointing. The packaged was likely abused or dropped?

It wasn't packaged to the standard that I would have done (if you want to talk about awe inspiring packaging order from Goulet Pens), but I wouldn't say that it was poorly packaged either. Mediocre packaging would be the best word for it. I've already been in touch with the seller, sent him photos, and he's going to be seeking redress with the shipper. He's already offered to refund my money and let me keep the axe head in that circumstance.

It wasn't packaged to the standard that I would have done (if you want to talk about awe inspiring packaging order from Goulet Pens), but I wouldn't say that it was poorly packaged either. Mediocre packaging would be the best word for it. I've already been in touch with the seller, sent him photos, and he's going to be seeking redress with the shipper. He's already offered to refund my money and let me keep the axe head in that circumstance.

That is a seller that goes in your “favorites”. Not because you got a free axe necessarily but because he made it clear through his actions that it was important to him that you were OK with the deal.

Can you post a picture of the whole axe/head?

It’s got some nice bevels... (I want to see the overall impact of the chip).

If it’s a double bit then you could work around it but if the toe is as nice as the heel was and it’s a single bit, maybe one could file some off, strategically, to meet the new edge the chip created?

Thank you for the compliment!
I’ve done some other projects you might want to check out that were more involved. Like the custom sling for Agent_H Agent_H or the modular bushcraft sling that I did earlier this year.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/custom-axe-sling-build.1654736/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ent-system-photo-heavy.1647819/#post-18847106

Holy crap… :eek: I just sent these links to a friend of mine who is a professional leather worker.

Last edited:
I bought a Kelly Perfect with phantom bevels off the bay. It was rough with lots of pitting but the stamping was legible. I dropped it on my concrete shop floor and broke an exact chip as the one above. I was concerned about the temper because I have dropped lots of axes on that floor without any damage. I filed the chip out, reprofiled, hung it and put it in my rotation. Not the same situation, just wanted to mention that it is “repairable”.

That is a seller that goes in your “favorites”. Not because you got a free axe necessarily but because he made it clear through his actions that it was important to him that you were OK with the deal.

Can you post a picture of the whole axe/head?

It’s got some nice bevels... (I want to see the overall impact of the chip).

If it’s a double bit then you could work around it but if the toe is as nice as the heel was and it’s a single bit, maybe one could file some off, strategically, to meet the new edge the chip created?

Here you go.

tt_kp_db.jpg

I have one coming to rehang I picked up a U.S. marked camillus military pocket knife in good shape dated 1971 at a yard sale. I bought it mainly because I didn't want someone who doesn't appreciate the history of the knife destroying it . I posted pics over on bushcraft usa. Batman said he had been looking for one like it. I asked for something of similar value for it in trade he is sending me a Dayton pattern boys axe head true temper flint edge . I like true temper/Kelly axes they were made near my family's home area . I sent the knife with my address in the package so he would have the knife to inspect before he sent my part of the trade out . I had asked about where to find a 24 inch handle for a boys axe on that forum. Batman sent me a PM today saying he will ship the axe to me tomorrow and he was sending a 24 inch handle too so I will be hanging an axe soon:)

I hung something new this time! It was a fun little project.
tdvnvJy.jpg

I used 3 different types of twine. Inner layers are cotton and 48lb hemp on last layer. I used half hitches the whole time for each layer.
gi4gEFm.jpg
UXy66EH.jpg
o5KJtad.jpg

It's really very strong and should be able to hold kerosene easily. I may carve a wooden cork for it or at least drill this this cork and put string through it as a tether. I'd make the hole barely larger than the string so it can vent.
This pic is right after I finished the first layer and had cut and shaped the hook.
N6tXCsj.jpg

(I really just wanted to show off my anvil again). :cool::thumbsup: Thanks for checking it out!

I hung something new this time! It was a fun little project.
tdvnvJy.jpg

I used 3 different types of twine. Inner layers are cotton and 48lb hemp on last layer. I used half hitches the whole time for each layer.
gi4gEFm.jpg
UXy66EH.jpg
o5KJtad.jpg

It's really very strong and should be able to hold kerosene easily. I may carve a wooden cork for it or at least drill this this cork and put string through it as a tether. I'd make the hole barely larger than the string so it can vent.
This pic is right after I finished the first layer and had cut and shaped the hook.
N6tXCsj.jpg

(I really just wanted to show off my anvil again). :cool::thumbsup: Thanks for checking it out!

You have some nice looking anvil brother!

Great work man! That is an out of the box project for sure and makes me want one for myself.
Thanks for that and sharing!

Back