What did you rehang today?

Pics or it didn’t happen.
still needs a little more sanding and a few coats of BLO
evZYkcQ.jpg

That looks awesome, man. That's a sweet hang.

lol is that a piece of flashing on the bed? It looks like a table card for a wedding or something lol. "Your axe is served." :D
Piece of metal for a project had it and the axe in my hand . I laid it down to take the picture. The axe is sweet. I traded a military pocket knife for it with batman over on bushcraft forums He graciously sent me the handle too. It is a true temper flint edge boys axe hung on a 24 inch handle

Fmont Fmont , perma-bond won't pop, it'll just work loose. I had a Plumb boy's axe that was perma-bonded that had the bond stop bonding as well and the head just started getting loose. A lot of drilling, a little rasping and a little sawing later, it has a Brian Rust black walnut wedge and isn't going anywhere fast. The full process is shown here: What did you rehang today? | Page 263 | BladeForums.com

That is my forth vintage axe my 2 dbl bits, the full size axe has been in my family for 80 years I have rehung it several times. It is the first axe I ever rehung. The cruiser is unmarked but has eye ridges and Kelly red paint in the eye it was on a POS handle when I got it I rehung it on a 28 in. house handle . The single bit Michigan is a Collins my wife got me for Christmas I hung it on a 36 in. house handle
fjQIPKj.jpg

XBQQZaH.jpg

I'm not done with this one yet. But I did hang it today! I've since steamed and bent the helve and it's currently drying and cooling. I was pretty disappointed that the back end of the shoulder didn't fill out the back of the eye. I thought I had enough material to do that otherwise I wouldn't have used this haft. But I'll shim it and make it work.
7WkZZnG.jpg
MwhOCJm.jpg
roxEIL2.jpg

Now for the dreaded gap... It's a real tight hang everywhere else so it'll be alright. It's just a bummer
BYToaby.jpg
7YJN2Dd.jpg

I sandwiched the tongue in a couple pine blocks to keep it straight while steaming/ bending.
ApS5HU9.jpg

Here it is all set for steaming. Clamped and ready to go!
xQSyp46.jpg

Gentle pressure applied and steam has begun.
mhmu7vD.jpg

And an hour later I cranked the piss out of it!
kCoOksn.jpg

0TvhBEm.jpg

Should be dry and fully set here in another hour or so. I'll finish hanging it tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out!

I'm not done with this one yet. But I did hang it today! I've since steamed and bent the helve and it's currently drying and cooling. I was pretty disappointed that the back end of the shoulder didn't fill out the back of the eye. I thought I had enough material to do that otherwise I wouldn't have used this haft. But I'll shim it and make it work.
7WkZZnG.jpg
MwhOCJm.jpg
roxEIL2.jpg

Now for the dreaded gap... It's a real tight hang everywhere else so it'll be alright. It's just a bummer
BYToaby.jpg
7YJN2Dd.jpg

I sandwiched the tongue in a couple pine blocks to keep it straight while steaming/ bending.
ApS5HU9.jpg

xQSyp46.jpg

mhmu7vD.jpg

kCoOksn.jpg

0TvhBEm.jpg

Should be dry and fully set here in another hour or so. I'll finish hanging it tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out!
Wow! Great ingenuity!

7WkZZnG.jpg
MwhOCJm.jpg
roxEIL2.jpg

BYToaby.jpg
7YJN2Dd.jpg

ApS5HU9.jpg

xQSyp46.jpg

mhmu7vD.jpg

kCoOksn.jpg

0TvhBEm.jpg

I am impressed with the number of ATV's you have taking up all that premiere axe, saw, hammer - tool space lol!!
Making the tongue a pine block box to secure to the Honda 4wheeler rack, and using a ratchet strap(thay really must allow you complete control over tension), i love seeing this YJ. Thanks!
Are you up near Turner or Lewiston? I swear i have been in that garage before lol!!

Fmont Fmont , perma-bond won't pop, it'll just work loose. I had a Plumb boy's axe that was perma-bonded that had the bond stop bonding as well and the head just started getting loose. A lot of drilling, a little rasping and a little sawing later, it has a Brian Rust black walnut wedge and isn't going anywhere fast. The full process is shown here: What did you rehang today? | Page 263 | BladeForums.com

That's good to know. But also part of the reason I don't want to use it when there's no replacement around. I got no way to drill out permabond if it gets loose when I'm in the woods. I'm glad you can rehang them on the same haft! I've never taken one apart before.

Wow! Great ingenuity!
I am impressed with the number of ATV's you have taking up all that premiere axe, saw, hammer - tool space lol!!
Making the tongue a pine block box to secure to the Honda 4wheeler rack, and using a ratchet strap(thay really must allow you complete control over tension), i love seeing this YJ. Thanks!
Are you up near Turner or Lewiston? I swear i have been in that garage before lol!!
Are you hoarding scooters too?Real nice I like that a lot.The plumb is sweet fmont,like 3 lb heads.

Thanks! Not my first time using that Honda rack.
wvjsC48.jpg

:cool:. As you can see I made some improvements this time though. I suppose I'll need to build a steam box if I ever decide I want an s bend in a handle. But for now... Lewiston is about an hour and a half away. And yes I "collect" wheelers too. And spare parts! Lol. That is my most prized one there. That's an 87 foreman(first year foreman) it's literally only missing one original screw! And those are the original tires too. It has every sticker, there's not one crack in the plastic either. Lol. Here's a better shot of it; 20170916_162845.jpg

That's nothing. I wouldn't give it another thought. Great looking axe!
Thank you! I am so pleased to have such a quality old tool from Canada. I can't wait to use it!
Thank you for the vote of confidence but I can't see it lasting as long with any gaps on the bottom. I'm really not happy unless there's 100%(or close to it) contact on the bottom. Even if I have to cheat once in awhile to attain it. :rolleyes:.
Normally I do pretty good choosing appropriate hafts but this hang turned out a little different that I thought it would.
I'll post up my progress later! Thanks for your kind words everyone!

I hate hogging the thread but here goes anyway. Two posts in a row as I hung two edged tools today. Up first is the old W. CAMPBELL broad axe. Here's the shim or wedge I made to fill out the back of the eye. Didn't glue it just drove it home.
0Xu6egg.jpg

I ended up with a 2-7/8" offset on a 24" handle. It's hard to get good shots of an axe with an offset haft! Probably would've been easier on a bench.
18g1q0f.jpg

f7Jf79a.jpg

Bzu2p7j.jpg

The lugs have total contact.
4DJS3pJ.jpg

o3K4dQ0.jpg

nKApEZc.jpg

1S6Jy40.jpg
C0xn9hr.jpg

Not sure when I'll get a chance to use it but you can bet I'll share the results. I'm looking forward to it because it's lighter and I think it'll help me learn technique before moving on to my 6 or 7 lber. See you in the next post! Thanks!
EVo3xDL.jpg

I hate hogging the thread but here goes anyway. Two posts in a row as I hung two edged tools today. Up first is the old W. CAMPBELL broad axe. Here's the shim or wedge I made to fill out the back of the eye. Didn't glue it just drove it home.
0Xu6egg.jpg

I ended up with a 2-7/8" offset on a 24" handle. It's hard to get good shots of an axe with an offset haft! Probably would've been easier on a bench.
18g1q0f.jpg

f7Jf79a.jpg

Bzu2p7j.jpg

The lugs have total contact.
4DJS3pJ.jpg

o3K4dQ0.jpg

nKApEZc.jpg

1S6Jy40.jpg
C0xn9hr.jpg

Not sure when I'll get a chance to use it but you can bet I'll share the results. I'm looking forward to it because it's lighter and I think it'll help me learn technique before moving on to my 6 or 7 lber. See you in the next post! Thanks!
EVo3xDL.jpg

Great work on the handle, shim, and the whole package!

Back