What did you rehang today?

Josh, The Van Camp looks more massive with the haft in place. I really looks wonderful! You know every time you use that axe you are going to want some pork & beans ... right?
Thank you! Yes pork n' beans. Lol.

That thing looks fantastic, what a great grind! Who made them? I'll have to look it up. That's a really beautiful axe.
And thank you as well! Kelly made this one. I'm not sure if VC always used Kelly but this one is. Overlaid bit and a clear temper line as well. That's what made my mind up about whether or not to blue it. I so enjoy seeing the different steels that I decided to leave it alone. Even though it's stamped 3 2 it weighs #3-12.1oz now. Measures 7-1/4" x 5-1/4".

Last edited:
Hung the L & I J White adze. Took more fitting than I expected! But holy crap it's a magic tool. I'm finding the foot technique much easier than the pendulum. I get a more consistent entry angle, it just seems to work very much smoother. The cuts are finishing coming right out under the ball of my foot. I'd say the angle of the bit is about parallel with the sole of my boot at the finish of a cut. And leaving a very smooth finish. High spots it shaved the whole thing off as in the photo, lower spots leaving thin curly plane like shavings. I don't know why I waited so long to invest in such a magnificent tool.

20190914_131443-907x1209.jpg

I haven't actually finished the handle yet, I need to clean up the rasping and apply finish. I'll take some actual finished photos later, I just had to share because I'm super jazzed on this thing. Wow.

I have been watching and taking notes on this thread and your adze ... I have one, too, and it needs similar work done to it. I need to get a haft ordered for it and get some file work started. It may turn into an over the winter project with everything I have on my plate that needs to be done before the snow flies arrive.

Last edited:
The steel in this was very hard. Like Yankee Josh's C Hammond hatchet it took a premium Inox file to cut it. I actually ruined a bigger oberg on it, I should have known better than to use such a large file when I realized how hard the bit is.

eta: ruined it for hard steel, seems to cut annealed and mild okay still

The steel in this was very hard. Like Yankee Josh's C Hammond hatchet it took a premium Inox file to cut it. I actually ruined a bigger oberg on it, I should have known better than to use such a large file when I realized how hard the bit is.

eta: ruined it for hard steel, seems to cut annealed and mild okay still

That is good to know before starting. I have been toying with using an adjustable belt sander or a small WEN bench mounted grinder that runs in a water bath that belonged to my father that I have used to sharpen wood chisels. It has amazed me in how sharp it makes them without overheating the edges and very little effort on the operator's part.

These two axes came from Mr. Meek, who saw my interest in them and generously sent them to me! You can see the before in his “It followed me home” post. He will be receiving a surprise very soon! The craftsman did not have a handle so I used some black walnut to make one. It is not ideal handle material at all but it will be fine for this little guy! Then I wedged it with some white oak. The other small hatchet had a very nice oak handle already so I scraped it oiled it and waxed it after hanging! I love these little guys and they will have a permanent place in my collection! Thank you so much Meek1. I hope you enjoy yours when it comes in!! Thanks for looking!!

Hung the L & I J White adze. Took more fitting than I expected! But holy crap it's a magic tool. I'm finding the foot technique much easier than the pendulum. I get a more consistent entry angle, it just seems to work very much smoother. The cuts are finishing coming right out under the ball of my foot. I'd say the angle of the bit is about parallel with the sole of my boot at the finish of a cut. And leaving a very smooth finish. High spots it shaved the whole thing off as in the photo, lower spots leaving thin curly plane like shavings. I don't know why I waited so long to invest in such a magnificent tool.

View attachment 1196308

I haven't actually finished the handle yet, I need to clean up the rasping and apply finish. I'll take some actual finished photos later, I just had to share because I'm super jazzed on this thing. Wow.
Perhaps you already told us in a different thread but where did you get your adze?
It's a really fine example! I have 3 but have yet to make a handle for one yet. I imagine, like you said, I'll be kicking myself for delaying once I get it done and see how useful they are for flattening stock.
Great job man! Hopefully you'll give us an update and better photos of the helve once you finish it?

These two axes came from Mr. Meek, who saw my interest in them and generously sent them to me! You can see the before in his “It followed me home” post. He will be receiving a surprise very soon! The craftsman did not have a handle so I used some black walnut to make one. It is not ideal handle material at all but it will be fine for this little guy! Then I wedged it with some white oak. The other small hatchet had a very nice oak handle already so I scraped it oiled it and waxed it after hanging! I love these little guys and they will have a permanent place in my collection! Thank you so much Meek1. I hope you enjoy yours when it comes in!! Thanks for looking!!

Outstanding! You did well by them! They sure cleaned up nice. I love that handle you made for the craftsman!

Perhaps you already told us in a different thread but where did you get your adze?
It's a really fine example! I have 3 but have yet to make a handle for one yet. I imagine, like you said, I'll be kicking myself for delaying once I get it done and see how useful they are for flattening stock.
Great job man! Hopefully you'll give us an update and better photos of the helve once you finish it?

eBay!! It was a no brainer when I was looking. I really like L e I J Blanco stuff, and I loved the angular forging. It really is a thing of beauty.

I'm way behind on photos. I've gotten some *great* stuff from JB and itvd as well as the bay. I'll make a concerted effort to show you guys ASAP!

I always end up with tons of pictures. Do some of you find that annoying? I'm curious. Some of you just post A picture!
Anyway here's some of the Mann-Knot Klipper hung on a 28" "empire" haft I've been saving for several years awaiting the right head.
4uNuAOV.jpg

3/4" + of contact on the bottom of the eye.
g3ZYSS5.jpg
Pg2GJqF.jpg

Between the depth I got with the wedge and the contact on the bottom of the eye there is very little inside that eye that doesn't have pressure and contact on the inside. Good stuff! 20190916_170559.jpg
EVJbqhA.jpg

And the normal pics;
gGEQ6Ls.jpg
QhwgFho.jpg
KhTKuqA.jpg
i0pO4na.jpg
tX1ikT6.jpg
uAUGyn2.jpg
4uNuAOV.jpg

The swell on this helve is large for being on a small handle. It's so easy to hang on to.
WC7ASV2.jpg

It measures 6-1/2" x 5-1/8" and weighs #2-15.4oz. Thanks for looking!
JUH3wKy.jpg

Last edited:
I always end up with tons of pictures. Do some of you find that annoying? I'm curious. A lot of you guys just post a photo!
Anyway here's a bunch of the Mann-Knot Klipper hung on a 28" "empire" haft I've been saving for several years waiting the right head.
VUBWuDc.jpg

Gn47sn7.jpg
DYsXLvE.jpg

Between the depth I got with the wedge and the contact on the bottom of the eye there is very little inside that eye that doesn't have pressure and contact on the inside. Good stuff!
JO52twv.jpg
DZ4uk8y.jpg

And the normal pics;
gGEQ6Ls.jpg
QhwgFho.jpg
KhTKuqA.jpg
i0pO4na.jpg
tX1ikT6.jpg
uAUGyn2.jpg
4uNuAOV.jpg

The swell on this helve is large for being on a small handle. It's so easy to hang on to.
WC7ASV2.jpg

JUH3wKy.jpg
Heck no, I like all the pictures. It lets me know how it is suppose to look. Once again you have done an excellent job! Thank you for sharing!

I always end up with tons of pictures. Do some of you find that annoying? I'm curious. Some of you just post A picture!
Anyway here's some of the Mann-Knot Klipper hung on a 28" "empire" haft I've been saving for several years awaiting the right head.
4uNuAOV.jpg

g3ZYSS5.jpg
Pg2GJqF.jpg

Between the depth I got with the wedge and the contact on the bottom of the eye there is very little inside that eye that doesn't have pressure and contact on the inside. Good stuff! View attachment 1198950
EVJbqhA.jpg

And the normal pics;
gGEQ6Ls.jpg
QhwgFho.jpg
KhTKuqA.jpg
i0pO4na.jpg
tX1ikT6.jpg
uAUGyn2.jpg
4uNuAOV.jpg

WC7ASV2.jpg

JUH3wKy.jpg

To answer your question, when it comes to photographs ... the more the merrier! I am impressed with your photographs Josh, amazing depth of field even on your close up shots! Which causes me to wonder what camera you are using? As for the axe handle work, I would say you have the the hang of it. Pun intended. You can't go wrong with a name like Knot Clipper ... ooops ... Knot Klipper!

Last edited:
Finally found time to reuniting some heads and hafts that were sitting around the shop.

This Collins-Bonded was painted black when I got it. But there were no surprises underneath the paint and it cleaned up great. I didn’t do anything to the original stick.
E0-C273-F7-7383-4-BD3-8-FCD-719-D35-F6-E70-C.jpg

C9-CA0-D9-B-9519-48-B2-B852-3-A8-DA4-C28588.jpg

F71-B367-E-A0-C3-4-F6-E-BC64-B3337-A4-F6587.jpg

Didn’t want to wipe out the 3 stamp cleaning up the poll too much.
BFDD3711-23-DD-4936-96-C5-96197-C15-AC48.jpg

D4-EE5-C42-585-E-45-C4-A172-AC1-E3-E5-C8-E29.jpg

6-D6-F0888-F1-C1-44-F8-9-F0-D-A99624-ED663-A.jpg

Back