What did you rehang today?

That's a great looking Hudson Bay pattern!
Is that a forge welded bit or oodles of temper seen there?
And he strikes again with another beautiful dark oak haft! Red or white oak?
And is that resin I see? To help fill in the missing wood!
I've used a two part epoxy resin a couple times. It works really well for filling in broken pieces of tongue. I haven't had to take any of those apart yet and I'm not really looking forward to it. NOT gonna be easy to get apart...

Hey man and thanks! I am in love with these old oak handles and i WISH i knew if either were red or white. I just dont know how i can differentiate now...i need bark and leaves lol!
No, i didnt use resin, just left the gap and crevace open lol!. Those pics are still a little damp from the that mornings spa soak in BLO.
The patina on this axe after just a little clean and wipe was great. I hit with a wheel lightly and hit the shroomed pole. Thats a temper line that goes for miles doesnt it? Lol!

Not sure when, but hopefully next week...I have one more 28" oak haft that I want to marry to this Old Timer Legitimus Connecticut resting in my connie box :cool:

Hey man and thanks! I am in love with these old oak handles and i WISH i knew if either were red or white. I just dont know how i can differentiate now...i need bark and leaves lol!
No, i didnt use resin, just left the gap and crevace open lol!. Those pics are still a little damp from the that mornings spa soak in BLO.
The patina on this axe after just a little clean and wipe was great. I hit with a wheel lightly and hit the shroomed pole. Thats a temper line that goes for miles doesnt it? Lol!

Not sure when, but hopefully next week...I have one more 28" oak haft that I want to marry to this Old Timer Legitimus Connecticut resting in my connie box :cool:
Awesome man. I like how you get so excited about the axes and helves. I do too! Just love this hobby!
You can differentiate red from white pretty easily. When looking at the end grain the cells of red oak are open. So you can see the tiny holes and they soak up the blo really fast. And white oak cells are closed.
Then the other way is to look at the side grain. Red oak has short rays while white has long. I think you can see this in this photo. The haft closest (the darker one) is white oak;
15739453574043568963938249494492.jpg
This pic is actually a little better. You can see the little dark streaks are longer(and slightly thicker) on the lower one. 15739453917252821703402629797591.jpg
Can you take a close up of the end of the swell of yours? I can probably tell the difference. I think yours is red but I can't quite tell from the angle of your photo.

Awesome man. I like how you get so excited about the axes and helves. I do too! Just love this hobby!
You can differentiate red from white pretty easily. When looking at the end grain the cells of red oak are open. So you can see the tiny holes and they soak up the blo really fast. And white oak cells are closed.
Then the other way is to look at the side grain. Red oak has short rays while white has long. I think you can see this in this photo. The haft closest (the darker one) is white oak;
View attachment 1233461
This pic is actually a little better. You can see the little dark streaks are longer(and slightly thicker) on the lower one. View attachment 1233462
Can you take a close up of the end of the swell of yours? I can probably tell the difference. I think yours is red but I can't quite tell from the angle of your photo.

Great examples and comparison pics.
I will try to get some end swell pics for you.

I finally got around to hanging these two;
LgWCRzl.jpg

The boy scout hatchet was made between '29-37' evidently. It has the clipped fawns foot and at one time the poll was square.

Screenshot_20191117-145439_Drive.jpg

I tried to capture the well made eye on the scout hatchet. It flares out considerably about an inch down from the top of the eye. Have any of you seen this on scout hatches before?
100DjwV.jpg

Easier to see it's mirror image on the tongue;
s5euVns.jpg

ZDusOiv.jpg

VT6orcS.jpg

They both have 100% contact for about 1/4" up from the bottom.
VmVMs3a.jpg
plg2LmP.jpg

The TT had, from the factory, two steel step wedges. So I replaced them. Here's a pic with just one in;
pnwlDli.jpg

I used Poplar wedges instead of yellow birch because I figured that's originally what they had.
gWAzG0q.jpg

The "take up screw" was easy to put back in. I just used progressively larger drill bits at decreasing depths until I had roughly the correct size tapered hole and then used my impact gun to drive it home.
U9Hjz0j.jpg

UoBpvdk.jpg

bc3w9uF.jpg

The TT will get used. Steel is the typical hatchet hardness for both. The Plumb is a tad harder. Thanks for checking em out and have a great night!
yAD6RpK.jpg

Last edited:
Very competent,sharp,job.
The bottom of the eye appears to've recieved very careful/thoughtful treatment in regards to cleaning up any sharp edges(by manufacturer or owner?);very important,that,to compress the wood fibers vs indent/sever them by sharp facets.

I don't think i've ever seen an American axe with such full/square langettes(ears).No idea what it does in actual practice,but intuitively i like it a lot,seems like it'd help to compress the fibers of the upper part of the haft,improving load distribution and thus longevity et c.

Nice job,right on!

View attachment 1233461
This pic is actually a little better. You can see the little dark streaks are longer(and slightly thicker) on the lower one. View attachment 1233462

Hi Josh,

Sorry for the delay, but here is a nice end of the swell pic for you.

Scout hatchets! I just cleaned up and hung this Scout Leader or Senior Scout Axe by Vaughan. I always liked how the hammer is molded into the poll.
D8-C6-B8-ED-7-A14-4-D78-B0-AA-4-ED269-EC33-AC.jpg

BA9994-FD-D441-4696-80-CA-08-B14-ADA88-A3.jpg

45555882-5-C82-4-C8-F-AC36-5-D0-EE381-E5-AC.jpg

31391-C50-72-A5-469-A-88-F3-18575-A3-C5939.jpg

039744-D6-51-F0-4300-B2-D6-7-F13-EFB25-B67.jpg

16-F22-CE8-5497-4407-97-AB-D72-DC54-C2-F88.jpg

DD30-AFA5-ABC8-4022-9-BB0-F7-FE2216-A3-B5.jpg

866-E6-E50-B16-E-45-EF-B110-8-DE6-CF1-D855-C.jpg

37-F6479-B-B5-BE-4251-B3-A2-F7-FBFF50-B7-EA.jpg

A24-DBFDF-2-B4-C-4-DCD-83-E6-44-A4260-FC32-C.jpg

13405-B88-47-F6-47-CC-811-E-243076-AAA1-BF.jpg

Sizzling Hot Man!

I know Vaughan and i have a couple, the super steel cruiser is awesome but this Scout Axe of yours...just epitomizes greatness of the golden era. KUDOS to you on that score and hang :thumbsup::cool::)

Oh man :D:D
Doesnt pay to rush around...had to go grab one of my boys :thumbsup:

Here is that long anticipated picture :D

20190616-111900.jpg

:)
I think it's red. It is hard to tell due to the sheen of the coating, and the overall darkness, but I'd bet a hundred bucks on it being red oak. I've never seen such dark oak before! Awesome!
One thing I've noticed that seems to make hafts turn a pretty color is letting them get wet and then alternately cooked in the sun for a few years!. Not that that's recommended but some of my prettiest helves have come from neglected axes. Or lots of age.

I think it's red. It is hard to tell due to the sheen of the coating, and the overall darkness, but I'd bet a hundred bucks on it being red oak. I've never seen such dark oak before! Awesome!
One thing I've noticed that seems to make hafts turn a pretty color is letting them get wet and then alternately cooked in the sun for a few years!. Not that that's recommended but some of my prettiest helves have come from neglected axes. Or lots of age.

Thanks Josh, i was leaning toward the red oak as well.

Same here, my best looking, rich and full of colore hafts are the oldest and driest ones i have aquired.

Love the rusty axe and dried out haft:cool::thumbsup:

Everything about that axe is massively cool! :cool:
The lugs and the poll blow me away. And you've done a fabulous job of hanging it.
Thanks a lot! I regret not getting one a while back that was real minty. I still look at the photos of it occasionally with sorrowful despair. Ever since then I’ve wanted one and still do want a better representation in my collection...

Sizzling Hot Man!

I know Vaughan and i have a couple, the super steel cruiser is awesome but this Scout Axe of yours...just epitomizes greatness of the golden era. KUDOS to you on that score and hang :thumbsup::cool::)
you’re all very kind to proffer such generous compliments. Thank You!

Last edited:
Back