What did you rehang today?

Anyway, I’m not sure what you think I plan to do with it but again this thing is in retirement as a drink holder.
That wood is so heavy and hard as a rock, it’s not going to split under the weight of my beer or even if I put it to hard use like the occasional light tapping on a rivet with a cobblers hammer. ;)

For thar purpose it's perfect. It really is a beautiful piece of art.

And I like your casting idea. I've been toying with a similar idea to make a model of the inside of the eye of a kirve. But I'm thinking of using something more like Play-doh because I'm afraid anything that fully hardens would be difficult to remove.

Did you take any steps to help your cast remove easily?

For thar purpose it's perfect. It really is a beautiful piece of art.

And I like your casting idea. I've been toying with a similar idea to make a model of the inside of the eye of a kirve. But I'm thinking of using something more like Play-doh because I'm afraid anything that fully hardens would be difficult to remove.

Did you take any steps to help your cast remove easily?
Well, I was molding the outside of something not the inside. I just put a couple layers of plastic wrap one it and the cast material popped right off the conical like spike.
I don’t really know about the inside of one of those crazy eyes.

Yeah, I thought about plastic wrap too. But I didn't think it would do much good inside a kirve. Couldn't keep it in place.

I just had a crude thought about another way to do it but I won't even mention it here.

Just banged this out last night. I know they’re kinda a novelty but I wanted a representative model in my collection.
It’s just a Tennessee Hickory handle I sanded down from the mules leg that it was and flame treated.
F63-A1-B16-F397-445-E-80-C4-9-F75-FC4-E683-F.jpg

52-A36-A21-A268-4-DA6-B486-DD9-EC14-B2647.jpg

86-C42883-41-F4-44-A9-8240-1953-A12-BB058.jpg

967-B7280-B16-C-4-E66-B5-BC-9234014-EBFDD.jpg

928-BBC4-F-1293-4348-8651-718645442-F8-D.jpg

It’s funny, in the NYT article they said something about “axes with ombre handles”. LoL :D

Yesterday I found my great grandfathers M tooth saw and St.Catherines Kelly Tasmanian pattern which he used to build the family house over a hundred years ago. Ground a steep convex and rehung on the old handle so it still puts in work when splitting.
XyzKQKw.jpg
That's a beautiful bow saw! Nice to see one with the original (presumeably) blade. Nice find on the axe too! Are the details about the axe stamped in it somewhere? Would you post some better photos of the axe? I'd love to see a little more of it! :)

Yeah all good I will take a photo for you, when it was passed down to my Grandpa he hung it and painted the head with his trademark gray. He was in the army but not into axes that much so it wasnt in great condition when I got it.

z3q3rVj.jpg

It's hard to read but it because of the paint but it says
KELLY AXE AND TOOL CO
ST.CATHERINES ONT
MADE IN CANADA

HAZPtkC.jpg

I tried my first cross wedge and although not the prettiest its very tight
Q19FwtC.jpg

Unfortunately my grandfather didn't hang the handle too well when it was given to him, I tried my best to rehang it on the same one but since alot of the top was ruined I had to make it much lower leaving space at the bottom.

vQshD7B.jpg

I made a wedge which looked like a cut in half cone and tried to fill the bottom which seems to have worked surprisingly well but only time will tell
That's a beautiful bow saw! Nice to see one with the original (presumeably) blade. Nice find on the axe too! Are the details about the axe stamped in it somewhere? Would you post some better photos of the axe? I'd love to see a little more of it! :)

Yeah all good I will take a photo for you, when it was passed down to my Grandpa he hung it and painted the head with his trademark gray. He was in the army but not into axes that much so it wasnt in great condition when I got it.

z3q3rVj.jpg

It's hard to read but it because of the paint but it says
KELLY AXE AND TOOL CO
ST.CATHERINES ONT
MADE IN CANADA

HAZPtkC.jpg

I tried my first cross wedge and although not the prettiest its very tight
Q19FwtC.jpg

Unfortunately my grandfather didn't hang the handle too well when it was given to him, I tried my best to rehang it on the same one but since alot of the top was ruined I had to make it much lower leaving space at the bottom.

vQshD7B.jpg

I made a wedge which looked like a cut in half cone and tried to fill the bottom which seems to have worked surprisingly well but only time will tell
Cool man. Nice axe and even better story. What I would give to have one of my grandfathers axes! He used to make them!! But my uncles pillaged his old shop long before I was even born so anything of value has long since been taken away.
I don't blame you for reusing that helve. I probably would have too. Thanks for the extra pics!

Yeah wow that would be amazing having someone in the family who used to make them. Btw any idea if the saw is broken? I know nothing about them but one handle seems cut off?
Cool man. Nice axe and even better story. What I would give to have one of my grandfathers axes! He used to make them!! But my uncles pillaged his old shop long before I was even born so anything of value has long since been taken away.
I don't blame you for reusing that helve. I probably would have too. Thanks for the extra pics!

Yeah wow that would be amazing having someone in the family who used to make them. Btw any idea if the saw is broken? I know nothing about them but one handle seems cut off?
No that's how they come. One is almost always longer. They used to make a whole bunch of different styles but that is by far the most common.
15795585945752323436175003375031.jpg
1579558615015463727019256235010.jpg
Just a couple pages from one catalogue. My Bigelow and Dowse catalogue has quite a few more.

No that's how they come. One is almost always longer. They used to make a whole bunch of different styles but that is by far the most common.
View attachment 1269180
View attachment 1269181
Just a couple pages from one catalogue. My Bigelow and Dowse catalogue has quite a few more.
Oh right great so do you hold the long side closer to your body? Sorry If it's a dumb question but just don't know. The frame still seems solid so how would I go about restoring it so I can test it out?

Oh right great so do you hold the long side closer to your body? Sorry If it's a dumb question but just don't know. The frame still seems solid so how would I go about restoring it so I can test it out?
No need for a restore most likely! Just tighten the turnbuckle a little so the blade is taut and, holding the long handle, go to town!

Back