1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    both good ideas - Thanks guys.

once my shoulder calms down, I'll get back to work on it. I have a bad shoulder, and occasionally I do something that flares it back up again - everything was fine, but I guess I pounded on the drift at a funny angle or something, and I tweaked it a little. I know most of you guys know, but when you've been hard on your body, you really start to feel it - especially after 40. if I could go back to when I was 20-25 and tell myself that I'm not actually indestructible, and to not do certain stupid things. oh well.

2. Whiskey_Jim

Whiskey_Jim

Feb 21, 2017
    Apply some heat to the head

Square_peg likes this.
  3. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019
    4lb Kelly Woodslasher miner's axe on (original) 20" handle [rehang]:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. npace

npace

Oct 24, 2019
    Went into town today went to the big blue store to get some things and went over to look at the Fiskars x27 a little more closely. Luckily they didn’t have any so I wasn’t tempted. I then checked a couple feed stores for a sledge handle and couldn’t find one of those either. How’s a guy supposed to split any wood. I decided I would remove the handle from my 10lb sledge that I never use and swap it over to my maul that had the cracked handle. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It’s a Warrenteed 112 I’ve had forever and is the best splitting profile I own. I was in a rush to get it hung and like an idiot put it on upside down and did not glue the wedge in. Luckily the wedge backed out after splitting several rounds so I was able to take it out and flip the head over and glue the wedge in this time. Hopefully this one will last several years.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. npace

npace

Oct 24, 2019
    Nice job.

Yankee Josh and JoeP01 like this.
  6. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Hung this 4lb yankee pattern today. Thought I'd share one as it's been awhile! I don't know the maker but the steel felt excellent under my files. M.H.co 08 cast steel 4lb. Also has a Z stamped low midpoint onto the cheek. Anybody recognize that?
    I found a decent Ames TT haft from HD to hang it on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Weighs 4lb .9oz after filing and honing.
    [​IMG]
    Paper (white) birch wedge. I didn't prep the tongue well enough so it slid forward on me a bit but it's all good.
    [​IMG]
    Even though I don't know who made it I can vouch for the quality. It's a damn fine and old axe. Construction is consistent with the (19)'08 stamp next to the makers mark. Thanks for checking it out guys!
    [​IMG]

7. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    That's a good looking axe! I can't believe that's an HD handle. You must have worked some magic on it. They look good together. Great hang as always!

8. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Why wouldn't you octagonalize the grip? That's how an octagon registers its position.

Trailsawyer and FLINT77 like this.
  9. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    @Square_peg ,

All of the original vintage octagonal handles I've seen have been this way. My McKinnon rockaway has an original octagonal handle and it is definitely this way - strong octagon down to the grip and then it transitions to oval. Here are some quotes form a thread of others verifying this.

The grip is still oval, so you index the way would with a regular oval handle, and like the person said in the last quote, its probably more comfortable for your stationary hand to be on the oval, as that hand takes the majority of the impact. your other hand feels the octagonal all the way through the swing which probably helps with the indexing. Just a guess, but I definitely like the handle oval at the grip better.

New handles like House do the octagonals all the way down through the swell, probably because its easier to just rip the handle all the way down on whatever machine they have that does this - otherwise its a lot more work. I bought a few of the octagonal house handles and didn't like them.

10. Pdr206

Pdr206

Feb 11, 2020
    Champion Kelly Works boys axe for my son. Made a sheath as well, first one since I was in the Boy Scouts 25 years ago.

[​IMG]

Hairy Clipper, JoeP01 and Meek1 like this.
  11. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a little hatchet my neighbor brought me and asked if I would make an Osage Orange Handle for it. It was limb wood so I did the best I could with it. It still turned out pretty good though. Put a walnut wedge in it. This stuff is amazingly tough. Thanks for looking!

12. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Looks great man! Lucky neighbor getting a handmade hedge handle! That will last a lifetime! He should probably mow your lawn all next year. Thanks for sharing!

Hairy Clipper and JoeP01 like this.
  13. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Heck yeah! Hope he enjoys that! What a great gift!

Hairy Clipper, JoeP01 and Pdr206 like this.
  14. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He actually gave me this for making it for him!! I’m not complaining haha

15. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019

Whoa a TT Tomahawk. Haven't yet seen one of those. That's cool AF.

Brian Rust, Hairy Clipper and Meek1 like this.
  16. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Damn, my neighbors suck.

JoeP01, Brian Rust and Hairy Clipper like this.
  17. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the prototype handle. I used white oak. I’m thinking it’s a little long. I couldn’t find many examples of axes exactly like this one. None actually with what seemed to be close to an original handle. And the base of the eye is shaped like a rectangle then it tapers up to a triangle type of shape lol. It was a hard hang for sure.
    [​IMG]
    here is a comparison to a full size hatchet.

Please let me know what you think. Shorter? Curved? Stick with a straight handle? Thanks!

18. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I think a straight helve looks really good on it! I bet it would look really awesome if it were straight right down until where your lower hand grips it but have it turn slightly forward. Same direction as the bit.(obviously). It's a really neat looking little axe. Very, very cool!

Hairy Clipper, TJLyon711 and Meek1 like this.
  19. npace

npace

Oct 24, 2019
    I agree it looks good as is. If it feels good I’d leave it.

Hairy Clipper and Meek1 like this.
  20. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think that every day. :(

Hairy Clipper likes this.