What did you rehang today?

both good ideas - Thanks guys.

once my shoulder calms down, I'll get back to work on it. I have a bad shoulder, and occasionally I do something that flares it back up again - everything was fine, but I guess I pounded on the drift at a funny angle or something, and I tweaked it a little. I know most of you guys know, but when you've been hard on your body, you really start to feel it - especially after 40. if I could go back to when I was 20-25 and tell myself that I'm not actually indestructible, and to not do certain stupid things. oh well.

4lb Kelly Woodslasher miner's axe on (original) 20" handle [rehang]:

SbSJp0y.jpg

QXPfs4y.jpg

4mZuCAZ.jpg

uq15KjI.jpg

Went into town today went to the big blue store to get some things and went over to look at the Fiskars x27 a little more closely. Luckily they didn’t have any so I wasn’t tempted. I then checked a couple feed stores for a sledge handle and couldn’t find one of those either. How’s a guy supposed to split any wood. I decided I would remove the handle from my 10lb sledge that I never use and swap it over to my maul that had the cracked handle.
76-AB7540-4465-4-A35-A959-15673-EB86-DB9.jpg
8-A187971-AD55-4-EDE-B6-A7-E7663-EF0046-B.jpg
EDF38307-C093-4-DBD-AD7-E-57-D849-A1-DDF4.jpg
940-D6-CFC-211-E-407-E-94-AD-51-CE2-C6-C9515.jpg

It’s a Warrenteed 112 I’ve had forever and is the best splitting profile I own. I was in a rush to get it hung and like an idiot put it on upside down and did not glue the wedge in. Luckily the wedge backed out after splitting several rounds so I was able to take it out and flip the head over and glue the wedge in this time. Hopefully this one will last several years.

Last edited:
Hung this 4lb yankee pattern today. Thought I'd share one as it's been awhile! I don't know the maker but the steel felt excellent under my files. M.H.co 08 cast steel 4lb. Also has a Z stamped low midpoint onto the cheek. Anybody recognize that?
I found a decent Ames TT haft from HD to hang it on.
m8H3jQL.jpg

PCBzSl3.jpg

BjuIJDR.jpg

JveG06V.jpg

W8UmmVR.jpg

pIb0asG.jpg

Weighs 4lb .9oz after filing and honing.
LgQxqzD.jpg

Paper (white) birch wedge. I didn't prep the tongue well enough so it slid forward on me a bit but it's all good.
JDZhFDD.jpg

Even though I don't know who made it I can vouch for the quality. It's a damn fine and old axe. Construction is consistent with the (19)'08 stamp next to the makers mark. Thanks for checking it out guys!
MQR28Fj.jpg

Hung this 4lb yankee pattern today. Thought I'd share one as it's been awhile! I don't know the maker but the steel felt excellent under my files. M.H.co 08 cast steel 4lb. Also has a Z stamped low midpoint onto the cheek. Anybody recognize that?
I found a decent Ames TT haft from HD to hang it on.
m8H3jQL.jpg

PCBzSl3.jpg

BjuIJDR.jpg

JveG06V.jpg

W8UmmVR.jpg

pIb0asG.jpg

Weighs 4lb .9oz after filing and honing.
LgQxqzD.jpg

Paper (white) birch wedge. I didn't prep the tongue well enough so it slid forward on me a bit but it's all good.
JDZhFDD.jpg

Even though I don't know who made it I can vouch for the quality. It's a damn fine and old axe. Construction is consistent with the (19)'08 stamp next to the makers mark. Thanks for checking it out guys!
MQR28Fj.jpg
That's a good looking axe! I can't believe that's an HD handle. You must have worked some magic on it. They look good together. Great hang as always!

S Square_peg ,

All of the original vintage octagonal handles I've seen have been this way. My McKinnon rockaway has an original octagonal handle and it is definitely this way - strong octagon down to the grip and then it transitions to oval. Here are some quotes form a thread of others verifying this.

I really like the old handles that are octagon at the top but transition to an oval cross section at the bottom where the hands are.

Right on.
An older Plumb hammer I came across had octagonalizing but it was still not completely round. I've seen 36" sledge handles with octagonalization but they were done so just under the head and transitioned to oval shaped closer to the grip/swell end.

I saw a catalog page that had the Falls City line pictured with the same hybrid haft. I'm pretty sure Steve Tall posted it awhile back. I'm positive it's original.

All of the vintage octagon hafts I have had are like that. Even some octagon hammer handles turn to oval near the swell. It’s probably a more comfortable grip for most folks. Personally I just don’t care one way or the other and see no difference in their use.

The grip is still oval, so you index the way would with a regular oval handle, and like the person said in the last quote, its probably more comfortable for your stationary hand to be on the oval, as that hand takes the majority of the impact. your other hand feels the octagonal all the way through the swing which probably helps with the indexing. Just a guess, but I definitely like the handle oval at the grip better.

New handles like House do the octagonals all the way down through the swell, probably because its easier to just rip the handle all the way down on whatever machine they have that does this - otherwise its a lot more work. I bought a few of the octagonal house handles and didn't like them.

Here is a little hatchet my neighbor brought me and asked if I would make an Osage Orange Handle for it. It was limb wood so I did the best I could with it. It still turned out pretty good though. Put a walnut wedge in it. This stuff is amazingly tough. Thanks for looking!
Looks great man! Lucky neighbor getting a handmade hedge handle! That will last a lifetime! He should probably mow your lawn all next year. Thanks for sharing!

This is the prototype handle. I used white oak. I’m thinking it’s a little long. I couldn’t find many examples of axes exactly like this one. None actually with what seemed to be close to an original handle. And the base of the eye is shaped like a rectangle then it tapers up to a triangle type of shape lol. It was a hard hang for sure.

here is a comparison to a full size hatchet.

Please let me know what you think. Shorter? Curved? Stick with a straight handle? Thanks!

This is the prototype handle. I used white oak. I’m thinking it’s a little long. I couldn’t find many examples of axes exactly like this one. None actually with what seemed to be close to an original handle. And the base of the eye is shaped like a rectangle then it tapers up to a triangle type of shape lol. It was a hard hang for sure.

here is a comparison to a full size hatchet.

Please let me know what you think. Shorter? Curved? Stick with a straight handle? Thanks!
I think a straight helve looks really good on it! I bet it would look really awesome if it were straight right down until where your lower hand grips it but have it turn slightly forward. Same direction as the bit.(obviously). It's a really neat looking little axe. Very, very cool!

I know most of you guys know, but when you've been hard on your body, you really start to feel it - especially after 40. if I could go back to when I was 20-25 and tell myself that I'm not actually indestructible, and to not do certain stupid things. oh well.

I think that every day. :(

Back