What did you rehang today?

after a failed first attempt, I was able to finally hang my 4lb Flint Edge double bit head. I had to scrap the first handle that I had for it, and shape a new one today. Another 30" house handle. This one I shaped almost exclusively with my 4-in-hand wood rasp. The handle was pretty fat with zero swell at the bottom, so I thinned it out some and tried to get a little swell.

I really like the color of the wood on this one, especially once I oiled it.

I'm pretty sure this head was never used - or at least was never sharpened, as it still has the factory bevels, and some of the original black paint.

I'm happy with the way it turned out. My first double bit hang. Definitely harder than a single bit hang.

after a failed first attempt, I was able to finally hang my 4lb Flint Edge double bit head. I had to scrap the first handle that I had for it, and shape a new one today. Another 30" house handle. This one I shaped almost exclusively with my 4-in-hand wood rasp. The handle was pretty fat with zero swell at the bottom, so I thinned it out some and tried to get a little swell.

I'm pretty sure this head was never used - or at least was never sharpened, as it still has the factory bevels, and some of the original black paint.

I'm happy with the way it turned out. My first double bit hang. Definitely harder than a single bit hang.
Glad you won the battle! Great looking DB!

Yeah, that's mint! Super nice axe.

What a looker! Definitely a super nice axe. The grain is popping on that handle and the swell looks great.

Very nice clean looking flint edge! What a gorgeous axe! You must feel pretty good finally getting that one hung. :D:thumbsup:. What a looker!
I forget, do you do your own leather work? If so you going to make some masks for it?

Very nice clean looking flint edge! What a gorgeous axe! You must feel pretty good finally getting that one hung. :D:thumbsup:. What a looker!
I forget, do you do your own leather work? If so you going to make some masks for it?

Thanks!
yes, I can and have made things with leather. I have a couple speedy stitcher awls and a ton of thread but no leather right now.

I was wanting to hang another axe, but only had two 36" double bit handles to work with. I kept thinking about trying to sell them and buy shorter handles but that sounded like a hassle so I thought I'd try to work with what I had.
I decided to use this handle that I found at my parents house last year. It had been sitting in a shed at least 20 years and looked like a nice link handle but had quite a bow in it.

Yesterday, I scraped the varnish off and heated up the middle of the handle quite a bit with a heat gun and then rested one end of a big octagonal 70lb dumbbell on it and then put a 50lb grain scale weight on top of the dumbbell and let it sit for several hours. I was surprised how straight it ended up - must of got lucky with the heat/weight/time combination.
Then this morning I got brave and cut the bottom 2" off the handle to preserve the swell. And then cut the next 8" off the handle. I found a 4" piece of 7/16" dowel and cut 8 shallow grooves along the length of it all the way around. Then drilled a 7/16" hole 1 1/2" deep into the bottom piece with the drill press so it was nice and straight, but had to drill the hole in the handle by eye with the cordless drill because I couldn't get it under the press. I actually got it pretty darn close to straight and was able to do some minor file/sanding to mate the two pieces up pretty good. Glued everything up with the dowel holding the two pieces together with gorilla glue and clamped it down tight with a pipe clamp, and let it set for most of the day. Then this afternoon I figured that was enough and started rasping/sanding/shaping/thinning the handle down and then worked on hanging the head on it. That's when I noticed that the tongue of the handle was actually tilted to one side so I rasped the other side to get the head as straight as possible - and that's when I realized that the eye of the axe was also not straight and the bits of the axe also aren't straight with each other - so this was my most difficult hang BY FAR and took A LOT of fitting. I'm actually pretty pleased that I was able to the the bits reasonably in line with the handle splitting the difference between the two bits as they are both at slightly different angles.
So here it is.

Before I oiled it you could barely see the glue line where the two pieces of handle meet, but once I put the oil on it really jumped out. oh well. on and I'm pretty sure the glue is going to hold just fine because I smacked the bottom of it quite smartly and quite a few times with a heavy ball pein hammer while I was fitting and hanging the head and it didn't break the glue loose at all. I should have waited the full 24 hours before I smacked on it so hard, but I get impatient with projects. Also, being that close to the end of the handle, it shouldn't get a ton of torque on it, so I think it will hold - plus, I probably won't use this axe a ton anyways. or maybe I will. who knows.

I'm not sure how to do this post... I have 27 photos! :confused:. I'll post a few and try to link the imgur album. Haven't done that before so hopefully that works.
So the first vintage axe I purchased around 4 years ago when I started my hobby was a nice Snow and Neally. Great shape really! (Beginners luck lol).
OeZQ9yV.jpg

And it was my fist hang on a store bought Ames TT helve from HD. Even though it wasn't a good hang it still lasted through at least a dozen trees felled and a lot of bucking too.
VLSwR7K.jpg

In the interest of brevity here's the axe with the new helve next to it;
E9oQFcT.jpg

It's a 35" Truper with excellent grain but a thin palm swell. So I wanted to incorporate the old palm swell into the new hang as a throw back to my very first hang. So that's what I did. :D
akz7HNE.jpg

3YRCxwe.jpg

VzUKMqm.jpg

4WGg0pP.jpg

XhgVkkf.jpg

My joints weren't perfect so I made some glue/sawdust paste and filled the voids 3 separate times.
Tcr1r81.jpg

UYtatyt.jpg

Anyway here she is!
bjGluUz.jpg

Ds12cI4.jpg

9AG4vDu.jpg

YnH52Iz.jpg

6plsrX5.jpg

jeKAji0.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!
x9Txkdw.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good idea! I hadn't thought about adding material to the sides of the swell to get the right shape.
Thanks! The two pointers I can share is first off start with dimensional lumber! It's really quite difficult to get an oval haft perfectly flat. Especially keeping both sides square thi each other. And of course you've already hung the axe by then so that complicates things. And then secondly I think it much easier to glue on like 3" x 4" pieces and cut with a band saw or jig saw. As opposed to what I did which I believe is the hardest way possible. Of course it was! Haha.
I have to admit it came out better than I thought but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

I'm not sure how to do this post... I have 27 photos! :confused:. I'll post a few and try to link the imgur album. Haven't done that before so hopefully that works.
So the first vintage axe I purchased around 4 years ago when I started my hobby was a nice Snow and Neally. Great shape really! (Beginners luck lol).
OeZQ9yV.jpg

And it was my fist hang on a store bought Ames TT helve from HD. Even though it wasn't a good hang it still lasted through at least a dozen trees felled and a lot of bucking too.
VLSwR7K.jpg

In the interest of brevity here's the axe with the new helve next to it;
E9oQFcT.jpg

It's a 35" Truper with excellent grain but a thin palm swell. So I wanted to incorporate the old palm swell into the new hang as a throw back to my very first hang. So that's what I did. :D
akz7HNE.jpg

3YRCxwe.jpg

VzUKMqm.jpg

4WGg0pP.jpg

XhgVkkf.jpg

My joints weren't perfect so I made some glue/sawdust paste and filled the voids 3 separate times.
Tcr1r81.jpg

UYtatyt.jpg

Anyway here she is!
bjGluUz.jpg

Ds12cI4.jpg

9AG4vDu.jpg

YnH52Iz.jpg

6plsrX5.jpg

jeKAji0.jpg

I hope all the pics weren't annoying. :confused:. Thanks for checking it out!
x9Txkdw.jpg
Damn that turned out good! I can't wait to give that a try. Thanks for all the pics! I personally enjoy a step by step tutorial.

Damn that turned out good! I can't wait to give that a try. Thanks for all the pics! I personally enjoy a step by step tutorial.
Thank you! I skipped showing a bunch of steps believe me! This took me the better part of my Saturday. From around noon till dark so 6 six hours and then another hour and a half after dark. Totally worth it though! I appreciate the kind words. :D

I just can't believe that I've been into axes so long and just now realized that there is a place to share my love.
Her is one for today. It was actually hung a week ago and I've been applying lots of linseed oil in thin coats.
I think it's time to take it out next! Today, it is officially on the user list.

cshu6S5h.jpg
07JvZ4xh.jpg

POhXFKNh.jpg

xtgM8v6h.jpg

wlvGJuEh.jpg

Back