What did you rehang today?

I've been thinking about how to hang my giant export Collins for awhile now. It's 10" long and the bit is 7". Weighs over 5-1/2lbs . 7lbs with the helve.
juifPuV.jpg

I went with a slip fit helve and added some black walnut for a swell. I forgot to take pics before I started rasping and sanding so it picks up into the process. Here's a few of those pics;
JMpmJ3M.jpg

wTZDOjM.jpg

I wanted a thin wedge that started to taper back up again through the swell for looks so that's why there's a gap there.
hjRmwsA.jpg

cB1ObFW.jpg

Eventually I'll add two or three 3/8" white birch dowels through the walnut for strength plus I think it'll look good. But in the meantime here it is! Something a little different. :thumbsup:
ww8DKRI.jpg

17zPS35.jpg

FMLGfr6.jpg

KiXVczz.jpg

82q8nQY.jpg

FJsZS2Z.jpg

CABQWpK.jpg

It was hard to figure out what to do to make it look good. :confused:. But I gave it a shot! I put a 25° micro bevel on it and considering how huge the bit is it cuts pretty well!
Anyone know what species these were intended to cut?
Thanks for looking guys! :D:D:thumbsup:
MRVMaPm.jpg

I've been thinking about how to hang my giant export Collins for awhile now. It's 10" long and the bit is 7". Weighs over 5-1/2lbs . 7lbs with the helve.
juifPuV.jpg

I went with a slip fit helve and added some black walnut for a swell. I forgot to take pics before I started rasping and sanding so it picks up into the process. Here's a few of those pics;
JMpmJ3M.jpg

wTZDOjM.jpg

I wanted a thin wedge that started to taper back up again through the swell for looks so that's why there's a gap there.
hjRmwsA.jpg

cB1ObFW.jpg

Eventually I'll add two or three 3/8" white birch dowels through the walnut for strength plus I think it'll look good. But in the meantime here it is! Something a little different. :thumbsup:
ww8DKRI.jpg

17zPS35.jpg

FMLGfr6.jpg

KiXVczz.jpg

82q8nQY.jpg

FJsZS2Z.jpg

CABQWpK.jpg

It was hard to figure out what to do to make it look good. :confused:. But I gave it a shot! I put a 25° micro bevel on it and considering how huge the bit is it cuts pretty well!
MRVMaPm.jpg
Walnut wood is like salt. Makes everything taste better. That eye is huge; has anybody in US ever produced replacement handles for that axe?

Walnut wood is like salt. Makes everything taste better. That eye is huge; has anybody in US ever produced replacement handles for that axe?
It's the same as the top of a pick axe handle. That's what I used. It measures 3"x1-5/16" at the very top. The eye is very close to that on the top as well. And there is enough flair remaining to seat it further should it shrink someday. I had considered back wedging it but decided this was better. And indeed it's an incredibly strong hang!!

It's the same as the top of a pick axe handle. That's what I used. It measures 3"x1-5/16" at the very top. The eye is very close to that on the top as well. And there is enough flair remaining to seat it further should it shrink someday. I had considered back wedging it but decided this was better. And indeed it's an incredibly strong hang!!

I had in my hand its lighter cousin Legitimus #219
https://bladeforums.com/threads/col...976-bicentennial.1385584/page-3#post-18249705
Impressive beast. When I close my eyes I still remember the weight and feel... Maybe one day :)

Last edited:
juifPuV.jpg

JMpmJ3M.jpg

wTZDOjM.jpg

hjRmwsA.jpg

cB1ObFW.jpg

ww8DKRI.jpg

17zPS35.jpg

FMLGfr6.jpg

KiXVczz.jpg

82q8nQY.jpg

FJsZS2Z.jpg

CABQWpK.jpg

MRVMaPm.jpg
Man you took that palm swell and went 180 degrees the other direction! That is crazy precise work! Awesome job man! Your eye for detail is awe inspiring man! Cool axe too. What did it look like again? The whole build is phenomenal!!!

Primary reason: the price wasn't right. Two month later it ended up on auction site and sold for much lower price.
Secondary reason was the size of the eye: I was sure I would have problem finding curved handle for that axe head.
I see. I considered that myself too when purchasing this one. But it was in almost new condition and though expensive I thought it was pretty cool. You'd just have to make a curved helve for one. I'm sure you'll find another!
Man you took that palm swell and went 180 degrees the other direction! That is crazy precise work! Awesome job man! Your eye for detail is awe inspiring man! Cool axe too. What did it look like again? The whole build is phenomenal!!!
Thanks man. :). Very nice things to say. I was hoping for more contrast between the woods so I'm glad to hear you think it looks nice anyway. I appreciate it bro! :thumbsup::D

Craftsman boys axe back on the original handle.View attachment 1335616
That's a nice looking boys axe! I've found those double ovals to be such good quality. Each one I have, whether vanadium or not, have excellent steel, are proportioned well and are finished to a high standard. Whoever was making axes for them at that time had a lot of requirements to meet! Great axe man!
Well managed to mess up the picture anyway.Real nice stuff yankeejosh your axes keep getting sweeter
Thank you! I appreciate that very much.
I kind of got burnt out posting so often. I've acquired and hung a ton I haven't shared here. But I've got some other real nice ones I'll have to post up!! :thumbsup::D:D

Normally I'm a stickler for having the eye completely full on every hang. It's crucial really. However I've had this diamond eye for awhile now awaiting the right haft. I'm 95% sure is just a really old and beautifully finished Snow and Neally.
dd0eQLF.jpg

And I acquired a very sweet and thin 27" white oak helve that I felt was perfect for the axe. There wasn't enough shoulder so I carefully shaped fillers for the bottom. Diamond eye hangs are particularly strong anyhow and this helve feels welded to the head. While it's not ideal I'm confident it'll last a long time!
4PzzoCI.jpg

EbHhgv7.jpg

rPhrRoY.jpg

7dWT4j9.jpg

xkVjXXQ.jpg

f4ojrsV.jpg

As you can see there's tons of carbon steel left. And after re-profiling I matched both bits very closely.

d9KpRG3.jpg

LHHnBOP.jpg

This one feels so good in your hands!. It's just under 3lbs and the fillers notwithstanding I am very pleased with it. Someone, whom I'd like to kick square in the nuts, purposely and completely obliterated the makers mark on this axe. I cannot imagine why someone would do that but they did a very good job at ruining the mark:confused::mad:. That 3 for the weight stamp is very unique with the two dots at both points of the 3. And I have some other very old S&N's that have that same 3. So I'm all but certain that's what it is. It is finished to a higher degree than they usually are but that 3 is a perfect a match. Anyhow hope you are all doing fantastic! Gotta love the ol diamond eyes!
dd0eQLF.jpg

Normally I'm a stickler for having the eye completely full on every hang. It's crucial really. However I've had this diamond eye for awhile now awaiting the right haft. I'm 95% sure is just a really old and beautifully finished Snow and Neally.
dd0eQLF.jpg

And I acquired a very sweet and thin 27" white oak helve that I felt was perfect for the axe. There wasn't enough shoulder so I carefully shaped fillers for the bottom. Diamond eye hangs are particularly strong anyhow and this helve feels welded to the head. While it's not ideal I'm confident it'll last a long time!
4PzzoCI.jpg

EbHhgv7.jpg

rPhrRoY.jpg

7dWT4j9.jpg

xkVjXXQ.jpg

f4ojrsV.jpg

As you can see there's tons of carbon steel left. And after re-profiling I matched both bits very closely.

d9KpRG3.jpg

LHHnBOP.jpg

This one feels so good in your hands!. It's just under 3lbs and the fillers notwithstanding I am very pleased with it. Someone, whom I'd like to kick square in the nuts, purposely and completely obliterated the makers mark on this axe. I cannot imagine why someone would do that but they did a very good job at ruining the mark:confused::mad:. That 3 for the weight stamp is very unique with the two dots at both points of the 3. And I have some other very old S&N's that have that same 3. So I'm all but certain that's what it is. It is finished to a higher degree than they usually are but that 3 is a perfect a match. Anyhow hope you are all doing fantastic! Gotta love the ol diamond eyes!
dd0eQLF.jpg
I think it looks perfect! Those diamond eyes are fantastic! Love that slim handle!

Josh-It might be that I like double bit axes more because it is what I grew up using. I always had one side that I used if I feared grounding the blade and dulling it and the other side was used for less damaging work possibilities. I really like this axe and the fit and finish is what you have trained us all to expect when you put a new stick to the steel!

dd0eQLF.jpg

4PzzoCI.jpg

EbHhgv7.jpg

rPhrRoY.jpg

7dWT4j9.jpg

xkVjXXQ.jpg

f4ojrsV.jpg

d9KpRG3.jpg

LHHnBOP.jpg

dd0eQLF.jpg
Wonderful! What a great looking axe! Do you think possibly the maker Mark was ground off to be rebranded? It looks to me I see grind marks straight across the one side, I could be wrong though.

Wow thank you guys! I really appreciate the responses! I felt that the two paired up so well I just had to make it happen. Even though it's a smaller axe the diamond eye is just over 3" on the bottom and hair over 3-1/8" on the top. So finding a smaller helve with that size eye just wasn't going to happen. It was either make one or make do.
VERY nice job! beautiful head and hang as always!
Very nice of you to say man thank you. Fillers aside it is a rock solid hang. Thanks for noticing! :thumbsup::)
I think it looks perfect! Those diamond eyes are fantastic! Love that slim handle!
Always there with a kind word. Thanks Andy. I wish you could swing this thing. It feels so sweet!!:D:thumbsup:
Josh-It might be that I like double bit axes more because it is what I grew up using. I always had one side that I used if I feared grounding the blade and dulling it and the other side was used for less damaging work possibilities. I really like this axe and the fit and finish is what you have trained us all to expect when you put a new stick to the steel!
I agree completely. They used to file one bit Keen and the other stunt. And I generally do that. But this one kept its factory finish all these years and I couldn't bring myself to do more than just a small radial grind on either bit. Both are 25° so plenty safe for use! And i appreciate what you said. If you are gonna do something you might as well do it right! Thanks man! :D:D
God those diamond eyes are sexy. Great hang and pictures as usual YJ!
Thank you! Yes sexy indeed! And rare to find one that isn't all worn out! I was tickled pink to find this one over a year ago. Been waiting to hang it! ;):):)
Wonderful! What a great looking axe! Do you think possibly the maker Mark was ground off to be rebranded? It looks to me I see grind marks straight across the one side, I could be wrong though.
Thank you as well! I don't believe so. It was more scratched off than ground off. I can tell someone used the tip of a file and deliberately kept going till no vestige of the mark was left. Perhaps it was stolen? I don't know. It's aggravating though! Otherwise this would be a really prized axe in my collection. I mean it is anyway but you know what I mean.
20200510_102402.jpg
That's right where Snow and Neally stamped their axes too. Grrr. But it's all good. A little mystery kind of adds to its charm. Somebody still deserves a good kick in the ass for not leaving even one letter! Haha

Back