What did you rehang today?

Wow thank you guys! I really appreciate the responses! I felt that the two paired up so well I just had to make it happen. Even though it's a smaller axe the diamond eye is just over 3" on the bottom and hair over 3-1/8" on the top. So finding a smaller helve with that size eye just wasn't going to happen. It was either make one or make do.

Very nice of you to say man thank you. Fillers aside it is a rock solid hang. Thanks for noticing! :thumbsup::)

Always there with a kind word. Thanks Andy. I wish you could swing this thing. It feels so sweet!!:D:thumbsup:

I agree completely. They used to file one bit Keen and the other stunt. And I generally do that. But this one kept its factory finish all these years and I couldn't bring myself to do more than just a small radial grind on either bit. Both are 25° so plenty safe for use! And i appreciate what you said. If you are gonna do something you might as well do it right! Thanks man! :D:D

Thank you! Yes sexy indeed! And rare to find one that isn't all worn out! I was tickled pink to find this one over a year ago. Been waiting to hang it! ;):):)

Thank you as well! I don't believe so. It was more scratched off than ground off. I can tell someone used the tip of a file and deliberately kept going till no vestige of the mark was left. Perhaps it was stolen? I don't know. It's aggravating though! Otherwise this would be a really prized axe in my collection. I mean it is anyway but you know what I mean.
View attachment 1337679
That's right where Snow and Neally stamped their axes too. Grrr. But it's all good. A little mystery kind of adds to its charm. Somebody still deserves a good kick in the ass for not leaving even one letter! Haha
Oh wow those are some deep gouges! Still a great looking axe. No idea why someone would do that.

Normally I'm a stickler for having the eye completely full on every hang. It's crucial really. However I've had this diamond eye for awhile now awaiting the right haft. I'm 95% sure is just a really old and beautifully finished Snow and Neally.
dd0eQLF.jpg

And I acquired a very sweet and thin 27" white oak helve that I felt was perfect for the axe. There wasn't enough shoulder so I carefully shaped fillers for the bottom. Diamond eye hangs are particularly strong anyhow and this helve feels welded to the head. While it's not ideal I'm confident it'll last a long time!
4PzzoCI.jpg

EbHhgv7.jpg

rPhrRoY.jpg

7dWT4j9.jpg

xkVjXXQ.jpg

f4ojrsV.jpg

As you can see there's tons of carbon steel left. And after re-profiling I matched both bits very closely.

d9KpRG3.jpg

LHHnBOP.jpg

This one feels so good in your hands!. It's just under 3lbs and the fillers notwithstanding I am very pleased with it. Someone, whom I'd like to kick square in the nuts, purposely and completely obliterated the makers mark on this axe. I cannot imagine why someone would do that but they did a very good job at ruining the mark:confused::mad:. That 3 for the weight stamp is very unique with the two dots at both points of the 3. And I have some other very old S&N's that have that same 3. So I'm all but certain that's what it is. It is finished to a higher degree than they usually are but that 3 is a perfect a match. Anyhow hope you are all doing fantastic! Gotta love the ol diamond eyes!
dd0eQLF.jpg
Yankee Josh Yankee Josh

Last edited:
Wow thank you guys! I really appreciate the responses! I felt that the two paired up so well I just had to make it happen. Even though it's a smaller axe the diamond eye is just over 3" on the bottom and hair over 3-1/8" on the top. So finding a smaller helve with that size eye just wasn't going to happen. It was either make one or make do.

Very nice of you to say man thank you. Fillers aside it is a rock solid hang. Thanks for noticing! :thumbsup::)

Always there with a kind word. Thanks Andy. I wish you could swing this thing. It feels so sweet!!:D:thumbsup:

I agree completely. They used to file one bit Keen and the other stunt. And I generally do that. But this one kept its factory finish all these years and I couldn't bring myself to do more than just a small radial grind on either bit. Both are 25° so plenty safe for use! And i appreciate what you said. If you are gonna do something you might as well do it right! Thanks man! :D:D

Thank you! Yes sexy indeed! And rare to find one that isn't all worn out! I was tickled pink to find this one over a year ago. Been waiting to hang it! ;):):)

Thank you as well! I don't believe so. It was more scratched off than ground off. I can tell someone used the tip of a file and deliberately kept going till no vestige of the mark was left. Perhaps it was stolen? I don't know. It's aggravating though! Otherwise this would be a really prized axe in my collection. I mean it is anyway but you know what I mean.
View attachment 1337679
That's right where Snow and Neally stamped their axes too. Grrr. But it's all good. A little mystery kind of adds to its charm. Somebody still deserves a good kick in the ass for not leaving even one letter! Haha
I know the frustration Josh I have that keen kutter axe I’ve posted on here in the past that someone filed the mark off of it as well. I never understood why. At least they left the r at the end lol. But like their slogan the recollection of quality remains long after the logo is ground off.

Funny you mention that. A chopping comparison!
RXh5rnF.jpg

This is the second quaking Aspen I've taken this year just for some bucking fun. The underhand chop has been my preferred springtime activity! I've used many, many different axes. And honestly I've found the most meaningful difference to be the grind instead of the pattern. That wasn't news to me anyhow. I've long since discovered that. Wedges are generally thinner than other axes in consequence of their shape. And because of that I've found they penetrate more but get stuck more and in fact don't throw chips as well as axes with a good grind and a high center line. My nicest cutting single bit axes are a three way tie.
My NWTCO new england pattern;
zPHqCKW.jpg

fppmAJu.jpg

My 3-3/4lb Collins legitimus connie;
20200508_132726.jpg
ESlpgbQ.jpg

And that really nice 3-1/2lb Kelly Perfect Jersey with the crisp poll. I'll have to load a couple photos of it in another post though because I've already had to rewrite this twice and I can't do it again. But I'll post it in a more appropriate thread. Like "let's use these axes for what they were meant for". It is an interesting subject though and I know I've got more to add!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Got my third registered!
VnvFlpi.jpg

And man am I happy with it! It's rare that you buy an axe off the 'bay and it exceeds your expectations. But this one did! Measures 7" long and the bit is, get this, 5-7/16"!!! Damn near a 5-1/2" wide connie! Loving it. Hung on the vintage 29" helve it came with. Could be original but I can't prove it. I custom made a yellow birch wedge for it as there was a ton of room at the front of the eye. It's a full 3/8" you are seeing at the front of the eye.
aOUqdLM.jpg

arSSQKE.jpg

5M1NE54.jpg

aXJ5uV2.jpg

RhBHXeY.jpg

uMLts1e.jpg

No 78123
4juFNoc.jpg

It weighs 3lbs 5.5oz.
Couldn't be happier with it! I think the satin finish looks good on it too. It came like that but I did file it to a good working edge. 22.5°. Thanks for looking guys!!
v5ztUsG.jpg

xqrNNcy.jpg

Man
Got my third registered!
VnvFlpi.jpg

And man am I happy with it! It's rare that you buy an axe off the 'bay and it exceeds your expectations. But this one did! Measures 7" long and the bit is, get this, 5-7/16"!!! Damn near a 5-1/2" wide connie! Loving it. Hung on the vintage 29" helve it came with. Could be original but I can't prove it. I custom made a yellow birch wedge for it as there was a ton of room at the front of the eye. It's a full 3/8" you are seeing at the front of the eye.
aOUqdLM.jpg

arSSQKE.jpg

5M1NE54.jpg

aXJ5uV2.jpg

RhBHXeY.jpg

uMLts1e.jpg

No 78123
4juFNoc.jpg

It weighs 3lbs 5.5oz.
Couldn't be happier with it! I think the satin finish looks good on it too. It came like that but I did file it to a good working edge. 22.5°. Thanks for looking guys!!
v5ztUsG.jpg

xqrNNcy.jpg
man that is a fantastic find! You say this is your third? Well challenge accepted sir! Jk, that is one sweet looking registered! Congrats on your new addition!!! She will fit in wonderfully to the family!

Got my third registered!
VnvFlpi.jpg

aOUqdLM.jpg

arSSQKE.jpg

5M1NE54.jpg

aXJ5uV2.jpg

RhBHXeY.jpg

uMLts1e.jpg

No 78123
4juFNoc.jpg

It weighs 3lbs 5.5oz.
v5ztUsG.jpg

xqrNNcy.jpg

Very nice Josh!

Very nice Josh!
Thank you both! I really like Kelly registered axes. I hear there's no real rhyme nor reason to the numbering. I was disappointed to learn that. But these were their top 'o the line product. And they are fun to look at!
I know I just stated that I think the numbers are meaningless but i find it interesting that the numbers of the ones I own are fairly close to each other. Especially the latter two. They are No 61618, No 78123 and No 80109. Hopefully I can fill in all the ones in between someday. ;);):D:D:D

sy69htl.jpg

I can't be the only guy hanging axes...! But I am the only one sharing them recently I guess. I've been waiting for someone else to post. But want to share my Spiller.
It has a larger than typical eye even for a Maine axe. And being that I'm out of ash blanks I hung it on a 30" nos S&N helve. Has a huge tongue but not much of a palm swell. Still easy to hang on to though while chopping. I filed it to 20°.
VISKAgV.jpg

rczec9d.jpg

0kX55E7.jpg

QC7BTvn.jpg

iwTtWKG.jpg

Jen3LjV.jpg

yUujsKb.jpg

The 3 is hard to see but it's a '34.
82T2KFZ.jpg

This was 3lbs 8.5oz when i got it. And I filed off exactly .5oz of steel! So it's now right on weight at 3-1/2lb.
I know I've gushed plenty about what a great axe this is so I won't go off on another tangent. But seriously guys, get one if you can. You will not regret it! This steel and temper sets the bar.
5Qr8NQQ.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you all are hanging! I've got another 3 or 4 hung to share but I'm not posting another till something else posts! Have a good one all! :):):thumbsup:

sy69htl.jpg

I can't be the only guy hanging axes...! But I am the only one sharing them recently I guess. I've been waiting for someone else to post. But want to share my Spiller.
It has a larger than typical eye even for a Maine axe. And being that I'm out of ash blanks I hung it on a 30" nos S&N helve. Has a huge tongue but not much of a palm swell. Still easy to hang on to though while chopping. I filed it to 20°.
VISKAgV.jpg

rczec9d.jpg

0kX55E7.jpg

QC7BTvn.jpg

iwTtWKG.jpg

Jen3LjV.jpg

yUujsKb.jpg

The 3 is hard to see but it's a '34.
82T2KFZ.jpg

This was 3lbs 8.5oz when i got it. And I filed off exactly .5oz of steel! So it's now right on weight at 3-1/2lb.
I know I've gushed plenty about what a great axe this is so I won't go off on another tangent. But seriously guys, get one if you can. You will not regret it! This steel and temper sets the bar.
5Qr8NQQ.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you all are hanging! I've got another 3 or 4 hung to share but I'm not posting another till something else posts! Have a good one all! :):):thumbsup:
Man, I love that axe. But I'm pretty sure you got the last one. She is a beauty!! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the reminder, I gotta get busy!

I was out in the garage last night going thru my buckets of axe heads making sure they were oiled up and not rusting. I have a bunch of nice heads and not enough time to do anything with them right now. I was hoping that with the current state of affairs, I could get some slack time and hang a few but my work as a salesman in the concrete accessories business has really picked up and time has been hard to come by. I will get a Imgur acct set up and get some pics taken when things loosen up and I can get some hung. I always love looking at everybody's work - we have some real craftsmen in this group - you all do a wonderful job.

I’m in the same boat. Heads in the garage patiently waiting for me but I’ve been so busy the past few months I haven’t had time to hang any let alone spend much time on the forum. Winter seems to be when I have most time for my hangs. Glad to see your still at it josh.

I’m new to posting in this forum, but many of you have pretty much taught me everything I know about axe restoration (and axes in general). I had some time this evening and hung a Plumb I won on the bay in 2019 with a handle I won in 2018. Still needs to be cleaned up a bit and oiled, but Josh seemed lonely.
83BFECE3-8C31-4DE0-9385-13712B750D9C.jpeg

I can't be the only guy hanging axes...! But I am the only one sharing them recently I guess. I've been waiting for someone else to post... Looking forward to seeing what you all are hanging! I've got another 3 or 4 hung to share but I'm not posting another till something else posts! Have a good one all! :):):thumbsup:
I haven’t hung anything for +/- 6 months as I was hospitalized from mid January of this year till early April and I’ve just gotten mobile enough and strong enough to swing a 2-3lb sledge/axe. I’ve got a lot of axe heads to catch up on, though. I’m hoping in the next month or two I’ll be able to contribute to this thread again.

I haven’t hung anything for +/- 6 months as I was hospitalized from mid January of this year till early April and I’ve just gotten mobile enough and strong enough to swing a 2-3lb sledge/axe. I’ve got a lot of axe heads to catch up on, though. I’m hoping in the next month or two I’ll be able to contribute to this thread again.
I spent some time away myself. But I noticed your absence. Now I feel badly I didn't reach out to you.
I understand if you don't want to divulge what happened. But at the same time I'm interested in why a young guy like you would find himself in such a quandary!
I'm glad you are on the mend! And at least you are back to swinging things again! ;):D

Last edited:
I won’t delve into things too deeply, but due to a self-caused accident while torching off a burn pile I suffered 3rd degree burns to 45-50% of my body, specifically my torso/arms/hands. I ultimately ended up in the burn dept of the nearest Shriners as I was (barely) under 18. I’ve undergone 4 surgeries and will probably undergo several more in the next 2-3 years but, I’ve retained all my digits/limbs. So, that’s how a young guy ends up in such a lousy situation.

Back