What did you rehang today?

keCsMxY.jpg

lRegaBV.jpg

TagOrDe.jpg

M2s7Xhs.jpg

DXH4njQ.jpg

So here awhile back I broke the handle out of my dad’s old hatchet. The hatchet isn't paticularly a good one, but it has a great deal of sentimental value to me. So I went online and ordered one and I waited for over a month for it to arrive.. it never did. So I canceled the order and was just aggravated enough to try making my own. Although I have been a woodworker for over 25 yrs. I have never attempted to do something like this before, but I made up my mind that I was gonna try whether it be right or wrong! I went out into the woods and found me a nice White Ash limb and cut and dried it. This was just after fitting the eye. The following pic is a finished handle. It doesn’t have any play so I guess it was a success
☺️

Are you sure that's what it is? I looked all over but could never find any indicator of who made it.
The 2 step wedges that came in the handle are a real giveaway, but I can pretty much spot a Vaughan 9 series from a mile away anyways.
I am positive that this is the milled face long handle #999ML.

Vaughan is no stranger to contract production, so it could have came with just a sticker from say True value or Ace hardware...ect.
It could have also just been one of their unmarked tools with a cosmetic flaw.
Today they powdercoat the whole head blue and slap a Grayvik label on the handle if it comes out a little rough, but I'm not sure what they used to do.

Last edited:

Not hanging an axe yet but it is related, I am experimenting with some exotic wood for wedges. These are 110 year old cypress, zebra wood and ash. I have another one that glue is not set it’s cedar and cypress. I will trim them up and post pictures of the finished product and once they’re hung.

This is likely a vintage Kelly jersey head with phantom bevels (see before pic of stamp), marked 6 under the poll. Cleaned up with a brass wheel, some sand paper and green scrub pads.. The head weighs 5 pounds (must have gone on a filing diet), and it is hung on a 36 inch hickory handle from a local store with raw linseed oil finish . I left it thick because of the weight of the head. The wedge and end protruding is kind of crappy due to me learning on this one about hanging jerseys (first), and I had to use a hickory dowel/shim. Put pine tar in the eye for rust control (read it somewhere and had the stuff). Soaked the top in dipropylene glycol. Sharpened with second cut and smooth files and an Arctic fox stone from Baronyx. It's a powerful cutter (throws good big chips) and splitter. Tested today on hickory. I'm happy, cept for the above.
SwedeFP

gIC79iC.jpeg

o2qiEJN.jpeg

Hung my first hatchet head from the mixed bag of old axe heads I bought at an auction. Styled it into a small forest axe since the head was 1 3/4 lbs. Had to reshape a store bough Garrett 20" axe handle as that's all I can currently source for hickory handles

Small Forest Axe

435-D9-DDC-F674-4479-B8-D7-3-C33-F92-D856-A.jpg

Been busy the last few months, a worthwhile learning experince. Everything was hung on a House Handle haft, with varying finishes as I was expermenting on what i like and do not like. Ive found that a darker burn + watco makes them look amazing. Only things missing from this is a Sager double on a 36 which i didnt handle myself and the Tazzi that is on the way (so happy i got my hands on one).

61-FD7216-07-A7-48-F5-8435-D463-A3045405.jpg

C8-BA95-A2-7-EE6-4-A87-A842-BAA5-F753-BDD1.jpg

Wards Lakeside Special as ID'd by this fourms.
03-A3-B3-BB-B639-420-B-AED2-58-F97-A072087.jpg

Collins Hartford Warranted Legitimus

435-D9-DDC-F674-4479-B8-D7-3-C33-F92-D856-A.jpg

Been busy the last few months, a worthwhile learning experince. Everything was hung on a House Handle haft, with varying finishes as I was expermenting on what i like and do not like. Ive found that a darker burn + watco makes them look amazing. Only things missing from this is a Sager double on a 36 which i didnt handle myself and the Tazzi that is on the way (so happy i got my hands on one).

61-FD7216-07-A7-48-F5-8435-D463-A3045405.jpg

C8-BA95-A2-7-EE6-4-A87-A842-BAA5-F753-BDD1.jpg

Wards Lakeside Special as ID'd by this fourms.
03-A3-B3-BB-B639-420-B-AED2-58-F97-A072087.jpg

Collins Hartford Warranted Legitimus
Are you doing anything to give the axe heads that patina?
Nice collection!

h7YMRw6.jpg

this could take a while.
i was rasping, shaving and chopping for about 2 hours today and it's almost ready to shape. i'm gonna octagonalise it.

tennessee hickory, please make them a bit thinner, i used a hatchet on this
Did you have any problems fitting the lugs to the handle while hafting? I have a Jersey pattern axe head and YouTube isn't very helpful in pointing out any challenges -- maybe because there are none! But I thought I'd ask you. Thanks for any guidance you could provide.

Back