What Did You Sharpen Today?

I have heard so many versions of just how the rights to the invention or pat for the auger bit was sold it's hard to say just exactly how it went. It does seem to be over an unpaid tab for spirits at the local drug store though.
http://www.irwin.com/about-us/irwin-history
Far out! Vice-Grips in their current configuration came out 60 years ago! And here I had figured Irwin had bought out Peterson not too long ago but actually it was the other way around.

Far out! Vice-Grips in their current configuration came out 60 years ago! And here I had figured Irwin had bought out Peterson not too long ago but actually it was the other way around.

Yeah, but they still moved production of Vise-Grips (now branded Irwin) out of Nebraska and over to China.

Thankfully many Nebraska pairs are still available at yard sales and estate sales. They last forever. I grab them when I see them.

Yeah, but they still moved production of Vise-Grips (now branded Irwin) out of Nebraska and over to China.
Thankfully many Nebraska pairs are still available at yard sales and estate sales. They last forever. I grab them when I see them.
I've done the same thing over the years. Because I managed to gather up lots of them, I've been seeding my welder/automotive buddy because he does actually manage to ruin Vice Grips regularly. Usually via having to torch or heat up Vice-Gripped stubborn parts. Plus he's not adverse to smacking Grips with a big hammer either.
So you're saying Irwin-stamped Grips are made offshore? I haven't come across any of those yet and don't buy new so I'd be curious to know how these hold up compared to the USA versions.

I just watched a video the other day showing a professional sharpening service sharpening a forstener bit. This was an old established service that has been in business for many years. Just about everything thing they did was wrong. And it was all done with power equipment. I wouldn't let those guys sharpen my lawn mower blade. Just didn't understand how the bit worked and where not to remove material.
Somthing to be said for learning to sharpen your own tools.

So you're saying Irwin-stamped Grips are made offshore? I haven't come across any of those yet and don't buy new so I'd be curious to know how these hold up compared to the USA versions.

The Chinese made ones are of softer steel, have poorer fit and finish and have chrome that flakes off.

The story....

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26531610/...t/workers-sorry-vise-grip-plant-moving-china/

And some good news.....

http://journalstar.com/business/loc...cle_abdc7b84-4712-577e-8d0f-a4af3b802307.html

Last edited:
. This was an old established service that has been in business for many years. Just about everything thing they did was wrong.Just didn't understand how the bit worked.

How does someone not know how a forstner bit works. How. I am genuinely confused by the apparent lack of intelligence. It's one of the simplest tools in a shop

The Chinese made ones are of softer steel, have poorer fit and finish and have chrome that flakes off.
The story....
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26531610/...t/workers-sorry-vise-grip-plant-moving-china/
l
That's wild! No wonder Trump got himself elected via promises to keep jobs in America. I've never baulked at buying known-quality tools because of the price, especially those with a well earned and long established reputation. In effect rugged and reliable pliers that once were made in America for $5 are now of lesser quality and produced for 50 cents but very little of this saving is being passed on to the consumer.

PicsArt_09-15-11-308715.JPG

euKKYm1.jpg

wvPfNvu.jpg

UerkDV7.jpg

Just some reprofiling today. 6 3/4 Kentucky wedge, 2 1/4 plumb boys axe and a 3.2 plumb michigan.

What I really want to talk about is this grinder. The guy who invented this, also invented the abrasive disk. Oscar Albertson, I think his name was, invented the special sander (or angle grinder as we call it) in 1936 after the pnuematic boom went bust. This one is a second model, designed in 1941. Predating the first "modern" angle grinder by 13 years.

This one's a 7" I found for 15 bucks. Has plenty of power and a good long cord, unlike most angle grinders. It runs very silent compared to other grinders. Probly because instead of grease, someone used motor oil.

Last edited:
UerkDV7.jpg

What I really want to talk about is this grinder. The guy who invented this, also invented the abrasive disk. Oscar Albertson, I think his name was, invented the special sander (or angle grinder as we call it) in 1936 after the pnuematic boom went bust. This one is a second model, designed in 1941. Predating the first "modern" angle grinder by 13 years.

This one's a 7" I found for 15 bucks. Has plenty of power and a good long cord, unlike most angle grinders. It runs very silent compared to other grinders. Probly because instead of grease, someone used motor oil.

Today you can't afford replacement batteries for cordless tools and/or they've been rendered obsolete after 5-10 years. So you pretty much have to go out a buy a new one!
Tell me: can you still obtain commutator brushes for an oldie such as this? I'm still using and maintaining corded electric tools that are 30-40 years old but those makers (Milwaukee and Makita are still in business). None of the Black & Decker commercial/industrial stuff I bought over the years ever 'stayed together' long enough (due to broken innards such as gears) to ever need new brushes.

i have no idea. i guess just take some calipers and measure the brush holder and go from there. maybe grab some oversized brushes and sand them to size. gotta be careful doing that though

I have an old Black & Decker Industrial 7-1/4" angle grinder in a full metal case like that. It is an absolute beast! It will kick your ass if you're not very careful.

Back