What Did You Sharpen Today?

Today you can't afford replacement batteries for cordless tools and/or they've been rendered obsolete after 5-10 years. So you pretty much have to go out a buy a new one!

That's what I thought until Dewalt came out with lithium ion replacements for their old 18v tool sets. I have a drill, sawzall and circular saw that used the same 18v batteries. Decent replacement batteries were getting hard to find. Then Dewalt came out with this coversion kit so that all 3 of my tools can be run off the same new 20v LI batteries. New life for 3 old tools which are now stronger than ever.

I'm very grateful to Dewalt. Really classy thing to do.

That's what I thought until Dewalt came out with lithium ion replacements for their old 18v tool sets. I have a drill, sawzall and circular saw that used the same 18v batteries. Decent replacement batteries were getting hard to find. Then Dewalt came out with this coversion kit so that all 3 of my tools can be run off the same new 20v LI batteries. New life for 3 old tools which are now stronger than ever.

I'm very grateful to Dewalt. Really classy thing to do.
Finally a sensible solution coming from makers. Most Li-ion products (even those of same voltage) are purposely incompatible with older Ni-Cad gear. In 1994 I bought a $200 12V Milwaukee drill that was state of the art at the time. The electronic variable speed control was smooth as silk and it had as much power as I needed. I started off with 2 batteries and replaced them 6-7 years later at a cost that wasn't much lower than the original purchase price. Same happened again about 10 years ago but by then batteries had become $125 each. At the same time Can Tire happened to be offering brand new Makita 14.4s for $135, including 2 batteries. I was quite disappointed not to carry on with the Milwaukee but money talks and Makita thankfully continues to offer replacement batteries that are not priced at a King's ransom.

My new Condor... got to looking at it and was too stout around the edge. Filed the shoulders down and polished it up.

zkJ0p5z.jpg

SkqSvrq.jpg

i signed up for a secret santa thing, the person mentioned they love the outdoors and like knives.

i havent touched this hatchet in about 18 months so if it can go to make someone else happy, thats fine by me. gave it a quick regrind and filed it, reshaped the handle and smothered it with some old english oil

SkqSvrq.jpg

i signed up for a secret santa thing, the person mentioned they love the outdoors and like knives.

i havent touched this hatchet in about 18 months so if it can go to make someone else happy, thats fine by me. gave it a quick regrind and filed it, reshaped the handle and smothered it with some old english oil

That's one mean looking RRspike :D:thumbsup:

what i did is i have a really sharp nicholson 12" double cut with really aggressive teeth. i was done in just a few minutes. i have a PEXTO drawknife that looks exactly like that

Any suggestions on the best way to sharpen these? Diamond stones?
Lots of people have put up their way to sharpen drawknives on the internet. My two cents is that if you get the results you want then you have done it the right way.

Here is a man I much admire showing how he sharpens a drawknife:
edit one of the knives on his bench is a New Haven.

Here he is using a drawknife. Note that some of the cuts are "finish cuts" (i.e. he is not going to go back with sandpaper).

Bob

Last edited:
Lots of people have put up their way to sharpen drawknives on the internet. My two cents is that if you get the results you want then you have done it the right way.

Here is a man I much admire showing how he sharpens a drawknife:
edit one of the knives on his bench is a New Haven.

Here he is using a drawknife. Note that some of the cuts are "finish cuts" (i.e. he is not going to go back with sandpaper).

Bob
Thanks! The videos were helpful especially the work he did on the flat side of the blade.

It's probably too late to organize a Secret Santa here for this year, but I would definitely be in for such a thing in the future.

https://imgur.com/a/G3S6W

New Haven edge tool draw knife. It’s hard. Couldn’t really file it. Went at it with stones and got it useable but it was slow going. Any suggestions on the best way to sharpen these? Diamond stones?

I haven't ever sharpened one with a file, but if it works. People have lots of different effective methods. Personally, I only use stones. My method os to hold one handle in my hand and prop the other handle into my elbow or upper arm depending on how long it is. Then I just bring the stone to the tool.

NhucDic.jpg
zCc1S6a.jpg
fi06pz3.jpg

Getting ready for a regrind on the knockoff kelly. There's a ton of bit left on the cutting bit (first picture) but not much on the splitting bit.

What I did was draw a straight line straight down, from there I measured the center and marked that as well, I then drew a diagonal line from the bottom corner to the center line and then rounded.it out

Back