What Did You Sharpen Today?

Fa2z1cL.jpg

gonna wait for the rain to stop then go re-profile it.

BTW my phone flipped the picture, the head was vertical and i took the picture on an angle so that's why it's funky

My single cut files tend to clog more rapidly than double cut files during profiling work. I've relegated them to finishing duty after the double cut files.

Agreed. I used one of my Simonds Multi-Kuts to do the heavy lifting. Then the single cut to take off some of the high spot.

Filing
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

This sharpening was another day but I'll work on the axe some more today.

Ernest, I had seen your video before (following the restore to action on your goosewing). I semi-recently flattened the back of one and wish I had taken that approach – taking the blade to the abrasive as opposed to taking the abrasive to the blade.

Next time I will set up a block like you do in the video. I used a smaller sanding block and it turned out pretty nice but I do think my results would have been more uniform and maybe even less work if it had contacted more of the blade at one time. :thumbsup:

I can lay it out in black and white if you want it? Oh what the hell, it's like this: I have this small beam with feet and a stop standing on the workbench which I always use as a rest for bench stones. To flatten I use a lapping plate which is hardened, but not to hard, and machined to a high degree of flatness, we can say it has been trued, because I don't trust glass or stone to be really flat since after all these are intended only to appear flat. Sometimes for flattening, where it is particularly critical such as for plane irons and chisels, this lapping plate gets used in combination with aluminum silicate powder. This is a very hard substance, harder even than the lapping plate (remember I mentioned it is hardened to a specific degree)? and it will embed itself in the lapping plate and grind your surface flat, even to a polish. Quicker, if less effective because of the inevitable rounding, is the 40 grit glued to linen that I clamp on top of the lapping plate. I found that the linen-backed grit will hold up longer used dry than wet. The format of the lapping plate is about that of a bench stone and I think it is not too small but spans enough surface to avoid creating dips. The advantage even over getting at a reasonable flatness is that in this way, taking the axe to the bench, I can use some force to bear down and grind away. If this is less work than how you are going about it AH then I feel very sorry for you because even the way I do it is a lot of elbow grease, hours and hours standing at the lapping plate but in the end a pleasing result
p6021138.jpg
p5280491.jpg

Took the Simonds single cut to it then followed up with stones. I think I thin out the cheek in the middle a little more. Does it look like it needs a full banana grind? Thanks for the input!
Edit:
You can somewhat see where the centerline lands on the bit where the grind somewhat “flares” out. It is a convex but not much. I stopped here and was happy but with having the ability to ask other with much more experience than me I would like to hear from y’all !

Last edited:
Never seen any of those type heads,looks pretty far up to me.How do you put pressure on the file clamped like that?Handle on that file is sweet.

The ax handle is clamped pretty tight in the vice and I have aluminum angle on the jaws to make sure the handle isn’t marred up. I do this with all my axes and have never had an issue. And yes that is the only handle like that I have found. It was in Chicago Illinois at a little shop.

Square peg, yes that is why I mentioned the centerline of the axe. I just wanted more input. I appreciate the comment.

The file handle is a wooden grip craftsman. My grandma has a wood grip one and a plastic grip one on their original craftsman files.

Thanks A17, it does not have a makers mark on it so that helps! It is a wonderful handle. I use it with all my files.

Back