What Did You Sharpen Today?

And so it can be a can of worms...

....and without meaning to open that can,i'll mention that it may technically qualify as a "slick".The difference is that the slick is ever so slightly curved, convex, along it's sole(best told sighting down the sole).Firmer,or most other chisels,are strictly Flat-soled.
(Slicks are for somewhat rougher/preliminary work,built to ride up and down the unevenness a bit).

....and without meaning to open that can,i'll mention that it may technically qualify as a "slick".The difference is that the slick is ever so slightly curved, convex, along it's sole(best told sighting down the sole).Firmer,or most other chisels,are strictly Flat-soled.
(Slicks are for somewhat rougher/preliminary work,built to ride up and down the unevenness a bit).
Ooohh you done it now!:confused:
Just kidding Jake, and I believe you are correct.

Firmer chisel. That is what most folks would call it. But different manufactures at different times may have tagged it by another name. And so it can be a can of worms...
Now that I'm thoroughly confused at what point does something like this qualify as a 'bark spud'? Which is probably what I'd be using it for.

Now that I'm thoroughly confused at what point does something like this qualify as a 'bark spud'? Which is probably what I'd be using it for.

Oh,NO,Sir,they've no relationship whatsoever.
A slick is a fine,precisely manufactured and edged woodworking tool,for removing largish volume of wood,often with the help of an extra-long handle.
Bark-spud is completely different in shape,the blade is short,it is often on a narrow shank(between blade and socket),and is used for bark only.Depending on the species and other particulars it's often handier if the edge of the spud is dull and rounded,to slide along the wood without digging in.

"Can of worms"!:)

(the handled one at least is cranked-up a bit at the socket:).

I'd still call these slicks,from the common usage of the term,vs technical distinction.And,not having experience using anything but the slightly-curved ones,i'd say that these are for more precise work,for running some truly flat surfaces.

Just to go ahead and rip the lid right off of this can. These tools, and I would say starting @ ±3" we can speak of a slick which is no longer a tool that gets struck for any reason, are distinctly American, (sticking - none too strictly - with the 3" defining measure and so not including the similar Japanese tool, though they serve the same function while never attaining the force dimensions), but once I discovered the obscure tool of the Dutch millwright called the snik, a broad, chisel-like tool used only with a pushing action or stout pairing, (somewhere there is a picture of a pair of nice sniks in one of these entries) it got me thinking, hey the Dutch were in on this America thing right from the start, maybe they had something to do with them coming up with these slicks. Snik, slick... Of course, being here in Holland myself I have a very low credibility rating for making the claim.

Brian, I can see you stropped your hatchet on the green rogue. What did you sharpen it with? A file. DM

Thanks for that,A17!:)

I think that i'm even in compliance:
Use[edit]
A slick is always pushed; never struck (thus the slender handle). Using a combination of the tool's weight and bracing the handle against the shoulder or upper arm, fine paring cuts are made. Slicks are used mostly by shipwrights and timber framers.

(except my handle is not exactly slender...).

Here it is,9" blade x 2" wide,(almost 3/4" thick at the socket!:),36" overall.Love this thing.
https://imgur.com/a/7XuoR
https://imgur.com/a/Azbmn

1aT6Nsrr.jpg

vSN50qg.jpg

Back