What Did You Sharpen Today?

I spent a couple hours working on this ol 'slasher today. Filed a full banana on it. This thing was FAT! I removed a lot of steel. Previously i had a plain chisel grind on it.
eWVoEms.jpg

npppl9m.jpg

Hard to get photos of the angles and such but I tried. It's a little too keen but with care regarding knots it'll be alright.
R4B9adI.jpg

qZTGgta.jpg
7QHkwb3.jpg

I'm looking forward to using this for falling. It weighs near 4# and i know it'll bite deep. Have a great evening fellow axeheads.

Last edited:
It sure does take awhile. Roughly two hours per axe for me. How long does it take you for a thick axe? I keep thinking the more i do it the faster I'll get at it but that's just not the case. It takes the time it takes! I do roll the edge. I did it a little less this time but it is there. I know the companies warned against thinning them out too much but like you said they cut so much better that way. I leave em thick at the toe and heel. I really think they were just covering their butts. It's such a joy to use them when they're tuned right. My problem is I've already felled all the hardwoods on my 4 acres that I'm willing to harvest. I have to find someone who has some acreage and won't mind/ or sell me rights to cut a couple oaks per season. I really enjoy falling with an axe and i would do i would do it much more often if i only had the trees. I do have a few more i can take plus some poplar and some cedar and a big white pine.

Takes me about 30 minutes per side if I have a good file. Cleaning off the oxidation layer with a flap disc will speed things up and prolong the life of the file. Just stay away from the last 1/8" of the bit which heats up so quickly. You've seen how fast the filings come up with my files. I've posted videos.

Takes me about 30 minutes per side if I have a good file. Cleaning off the oxidation layer with a flap disc will speed things up and prolong the life of the file. Just stay away from the last 1/8" of the bit which heats up so quickly. You've seen how fast the filings come up with my files. I've posted videos.
I meant two hours for the whole process. So i guess it takes me about a half hour each side for filing and then another half hour per side for honing. I am really thorough with the medium diamond and then the finer side goes pretty quick. That is a good suggestion about the flap wheel to get through the rust if it's present. I'm using a 10" nu-cut followed by an 8" Nicholson mill bastard. I really want to get a few of those grobet yellow tangs. 72hrc! It'll take awhile to wear that baby out!

I switched to Grobet files at Christmas and I'm very, very happy with them. Some people say Mexican Nicholson's are better than they used to be, but I never experienced that. The Grobets are feeling like fresh files longer than anything I've used in a looong time.

I switched to Grobet files at Christmas and I'm very, very happy with them. Some people say Mexican Nicholson's are better than they used to be, but I never experienced that. The Grobets are feeling like fresh files longer than anything I've used in a looong time.
May i ask who your vendor is? Also i know i want American(not swiss pattern) but i am not proficient in "file speak" so I'm a little apprehensive about buying online without being able to look at it to make sure I'm buying the right thing. I "think" i want a 10" 00 mill bastard for rough removal. Also a 10" (with a higher cut#) 02 maybe?
Would you be willing to tell me the specifics of the ones you ordered if they sound similar to the ones I want? I'd really appreciate it!!

I don't tend to use larger than 10". A 10" mill bastard is good but I go to it after a 10" double cut bastard that seems to really cut fast. The mill bastard knocks the tops off the double cut and starts smoothing. Then a 10" smooth cut is really all I need out of a file and then some. I have 8" and 6" files but don't really use them on axes.

It's the Swiss patterns that have the sizes. American is just the type, shape, and length; smaller being finer. An 8" bastard is finer than a 10", and so on.

I think what your looking for is a 10" or 12" mill bastard (or a case of them :D) and certainly no harm in getting a 10" smooth cut. I just skip second cut files with axes. That's a safe way to start, just add more as you like.

I don't tend to use larger than 10". A 10" mill bastard is good but I go to it after a 10" double cut bastard that seems to really cut fast. The mill bastard knocks the tops off the double cut and starts smoothing. Then a 10" smooth cut is really all I need out of a file and then some. I have 8" and 6" files but don't really use them on axes.

It's the Swiss patterns that have the sizes. American is just the type, shape, and length; smaller being finer. An 8" bastard is finer than a 10", and so on.

I think what your looking for is a 10" or 12" mill bastard (or a case of them :D) and certainly no harm in getting a 10" smooth cut. I just skip second cut files with axes. That's a safe way to start, just add more as you like.
Great! That is super helpful and exactly what i needed to know. Thank you! My old files still cut pretty well except on the hardest of axes. Still i can't wait to try a file that hard. Seems to me it must be difficult to get them that frigging hard. Where did you buy your files from?

I like a double cut second cut file for axes, the bigger the better. Simonds Multi-kut pattern cuts fastest for me. On the hard steel of an axe I sometimes have difficulty with the coarser basard files. 10" is a minimum, 12" is great and 14" is even better. And spread the work out - use the whole file. They last longer. And keep them clean.

It's a little mundane posting what I file and sharpen here. But i haven't made any new purchases or hung anything in a little while so I'm relegated here. These are both Snow and Neallys. The Jersey pattern is hung on a new 28" S&N haft that i ordered from the new amish owners. The 3-1/2# yankee pattern i initially sharpened very convex;
Cw50bcA.jpg

And now;
qj9yXs9.jpg
yBctOY9.jpg

And i had the 3-1/4# Jersey sharpened much the same way but flat.
c2fgVnY.jpg

Now;
KSU3A7K.jpg
vLKu0Vo.jpg
RJbbLeg.jpg
15491609527556904110130072064262.jpgI purchased the s&n Jersey before i joined the forum so i haven't posted it before. I've got a bunch i still need to get on here. After all this time i still haven't seen another Snow & Neally Jersey pattern either in a photo or available anywhere. Have any of you seen one before?? Thanks for looking!

It's amazing how dramatically the chopping ability of an axe increases when you switch from a radial grind to a banana grind. And I like how you keep a little roll in your grind to help with the release.

This Commander had a bad day somewhere back down the line. Not sure where or how, but it's better now.
I used a belt grinder, watched my heat and cooled it as needed, then knocked the wire edge off with the fine side of a puck.
Back to a perfectly good working edge in less than 15 min.

Wont be much use until I handle it though!

GWkutS6.jpg

bpCxgyW.jpg

nWoSYaJ.jpg

guiHRqW.jpg

RiAY9vn.jpg

yM8yWB5.jpg

sJCR0Q7.jpg

fMeyAjF.jpg

This Commander had a bad day somewhere back down the line. Not sure where or how, but it's better now.
I used a belt grinder, watched my heat and cooled it as needed, then knocked the wire edge off with the fine side of a puck.
Back to a perfectly good working edge in less than 15 min.

Wont be much use until I handle it though!

GWkutS6.jpg

bpCxgyW.jpg

nWoSYaJ.jpg

guiHRqW.jpg

RiAY9vn.jpg

yM8yWB5.jpg

sJCR0Q7.jpg

fMeyAjF.jpg
That looks frigging perfect! What a ding to start with! Looks like it was a "sound break". 15500321752033930522188855218646.jpg
I find filing/ honing has become my favorite part of the process. Nicely done man!

Back