What Did You Sharpen Today?

A couple after i had the profile where i wanted it;
WU2wfkX.jpg
lT1Tn9O.jpg

That's exactly right! I frequently end up with an edge that looks just like that after I've shaped the bit the way it should be shaped. Then I file it back sharp. That is the way to put an axe back into prime shape.

Sometimes I'll take the extra step of fitting the handle at that point but not wedging it. That way I can tweak the file work to better match the orientation of the eye.

Thinned out the bevel some more on this one today. I was snowed in without much to do so I may have gone a little overboard polishing with the strop. I noticed while I was filing what must be the hardened part of the bit, not too easy to get in a picture though.

9xHGX8u.jpg

PBxhIqJ.jpg

OftMBQ2.jpg
Beautiful job! That will cut very nicely. Looks really nice too!

Thinned out the bevel some more on this one today. I was snowed in without much to do so I may have gone a little overboard polishing with the strop. I noticed while I was filing what must be the hardened part of the bit, not too easy to get in a picture though.

9xHGX8u.jpg

PBxhIqJ.jpg

OftMBQ2.jpg
Daaamn dude

I re-profiled, filed and honed the Hartwell bros. Grey Gorge(Kelly i think) Michigan pattern last night. How i bought it;
CliAjue.jpg

New profile;
1UXglYK.jpg
gwT9lBi.jpg

Filed a 40°ish to find center to keep the edge straight when filing.
fkv6g37.jpg

Filed;
2SSpJ0t.jpg
fPxLFvX.jpg

And finally honed.
nXVKaQv.jpg
5s1LLGj.jpg

This one took my about 2 hours all told. I hung it today and I'l post it up later. Have a good one!

These pitted up old timers still have a lot of character, but they're useable again :)

Pp09Ovb.jpg

sgyJyho.jpg

F3Vbtx9.jpg

en3a9Ng.jpg

Those look great muleman! I’ve realized I get excited about finding mint condition NOS tools but I derive the most satisfaction out of doing what you did there to old and forgotten ones.

Your last picture especially makes me think you tapped into the whole “Soul of an old machine” idea.

That old axe is smiling now :thumbsup:

I'm truly impressed with amount of elbow grease you guys are putting into the flanks. My mouth is open, my head is shaking. If I wore a hat, it would be off to you. WOW

After I finish my morning coffee I 'll continue with the Beaver Tradesman 3#?? Canadian pattern, I think it's a Garant. I've shaped it, filing out the nicks. I'm at the stone on the bevel, not willing to spend unlimited amounts of elbow grease, I'm just using a round combination oilstone. Then it's a 1000 grit waterstone. Here I'll use a Norton waterstone. It cuts fast and leaves a finish almost as nice as my Hard Arkansas with a lot less work. But I don't recommend the stone for chisels or plane irons, it's just too soft, requiring large amounts of flattening. Since this likely the first sharpening for a 30 or 40 year old axe, it's not that much metal. I finish with a power strop with Lee Valley's compound.

I had a 35° flat radial grind on this one to be on the "safe" side. I really like the axe and didn't want to risk breaking it someday. But i was thinking yesterday; "what's the point in having such a nice Maine axe with a grind I won't use? ". So I went at it! Now it cuts so well I'm going to use it way more often! This is how I had it before;
AP1iD9Z.jpg

And now; 20190509_190900.jpg 20190509_190914.jpg 20190509_190934.jpg
It's a Peavey manufacturing co. Weighs just under its stated #3-3/4. Have a great evening!

Attachments

• 20190509_190907.jpg
    20190509_190907.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 3
Happy memorial day all! I'm in the process of sharpening another today but I finished this one last evening. It came with a decent edge but it needed a lot of work to get rid of the pits on the back. Also a bit steeper angle too.
The next two photos I think are super cool! This is after filing. You can see the bottom half is carbon steel and the upper is not. Runs in a pretty much perfect line right down the bit.
ZdZxOEy.jpg
RYErma1.jpg

This one is curved from heel to toe but flat from poll to bit. Too bad the heel and toe were rounded off so much.
vkMzc18.jpg
uvOVL7l.jpg

And the back. Gotta tell you guys that $42 i spent on that inox grobet file was well worth it... it just won't stop cutting! And furthermore the 00 cut that i got makes filings so small that just rapping it on the bench clears it out. Couldn't be happier because this steel is damn hard. The lower half anyway...;).
gLrrHab.jpg
wtSJcNp.jpg

9EE8JeF.jpg
I wanted to keep it an authentic single bevel so i spent a long time tying to keep the back flat. Isn't that called lapping? Anyway I'll have another post later! Wait till you see the size of the one I'm working on...

Back