What Did You Sharpen Today?

Wait till you see the size of the one I'm working on...
Haha I was only kidding about the size. Here's some before pics;
hkbs2gs.jpg
Ag04Y8X.jpg
alJTrvh.jpg

I obviously couldn't get a good edge with all that pitting on back. So i spent some time with my simmons nu-cut, a black diamond mill bastard and that 00 cut inox file. Here's a couple during; 20190527_163025.jpg 20190527_163057.jpg
And finally after honing front and back;
cWXFz2J.jpg
OwttknG.jpg
HiX1vMB.jpg
PEQgzRz.jpg
4WeF44N.jpg

It now weighs #1-13.6oz. Last night i steam bent a riggers haft for it. I'll cut it to length after it's set. I wanted the extra leverage. Here it is with some tension while the steam was being applied; 20190527_224708.jpg
And after I'd steamed it for 40 minutes I really cranked down on it! 20190527_230247.jpg
I'll leave it clamped there for another 24 hours. I already fitted the head so it'll be a quick job once it's dry and set. Thanks for checking it out guys!

Gotta tell you guys that $42 i spent on that inox grobet file was well worth it... it just won't stop cutting! And furthermore the 00 cut that i got makes filings so small that just rapping it on the bench clears it out. Couldn't be happier because this steel is damn hard.

There are few things more pleasurable than using a really good file.

I actually sharpened this a few days ago, but now that it is sharp it needed some protection.

My leather stamping skills are horrible, but at least the sheath is functional.
Would look better had i not stamped it, but practice makes perfect and this had a good deal of real estate to practice on so I went for it

Didn't get pics but a Disston 410. It's got a little life in it yet, about half gone. Never had seen the stamp before but took my ez lap to it and was surprised. Says something about cedar, Google says "Cedar Savage." Been using it off and on for a few years, only ever touched it up before today because the geometry it came filed with is typical of an old saw not particularly cared for. Not much info on the 410 with a cursory glance. Nice to know what you have though!

Didn't get pics but a Disston 410. It's got a little life in it yet, about half gone. Never had seen the stamp before but took my ez lap to it and was surprised. Says something about cedar, Google says "Cedar Savage." Been using it off and on for a few years, only ever touched it up before today because the geometry it came filed with is typical of an old saw not particularly cared for. Not much info on the 410 with a cursory glance. Nice to know what you have though!

I for one really want to see your Cedar Savage.
:D:cool:

garry3- It makes me sad that I had to sell my treadle grind stone 7 yrs ago when we left Montana. But, I hope the Forest Service still has the one I used in "An Ax To Grind" at the Nine Mile Ranger Station. Yours looks like a nice one, even still has the correct drip cup and splash guard.

garry3- It makes me sad that I had to sell my treadle grind stone 7 yrs ago when we left Montana. But, I hope the Forest Service still has the one I used in "An Ax To Grind" at the Nine Mile Ranger Station. Yours looks like a nice one, even still has the correct drip cup and splash guard.
My hope is at some point replacement parts well become available, particularly the axle assembly's because I have not come across one yet that isn't rusted tight beyond ever being unscrewed to change a wheel. I have a few in various states of disrepair.

I recieved my KP Jersey pattern yesterday. I filed high spots of the poll and touched up a few problem areas as well as sharpening it. It's heavier than I thought it would be which is great!
YUKFsjT.jpg
It's polished by hand and lightly blued once. I then buffed off most of the bluing to achieve more grey than dark blue. Here's some photos in succession.
VlhqNU8.jpg
PrkxpFN.jpg
dwRVjZf.jpg
CD5jyNa.jpg
AubMw38.jpg
lFhIGWL.jpg

I'm pleased with how it turned out. It's hung but that's a post for tomorrow! Have a great night all!

Back