1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What Did You Sharpen Today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by marbat, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Those couple of chips in the bit of that diamond eye were bugging me to no end. So I tackled it last night. I meant to rotate the pictures prior to uploading but forgot. Initially It measured 8-1/2" and both bits were 4-1/8" and weight was #2-14.4oz. How it started; [​IMG] [​IMG]
    After re-profiling so that both bits matched closely and I got rid of all nicks and dings;
    [​IMG]
    This bit just had to match the other one. It was painful filing away perfectly good steel! [​IMG]
    New profiles; [​IMG]
    I'll just skip to the end now. :confused: Here it is temporarily stuck back on the stick it came with honed and ready for a new life! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's a little lighter but not too bad; [​IMG]
    It now measures 8-1/4" and both bits are 4". Still plenty of steel left for a nice ol diamond eye. Thanks for checking out my little project! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  2. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    That turned out great Josh! Edged tools aren't worth much in use without the sharp ends done right. Many of these styles of axes just didn't make it west in numbers.

Miller '72, A17, junkenstien and 5 others like this.
  3. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think you did the right thing. If you want to make it a user you need to give it a shape that you'll want to use.

I imagine you'll finish it with one of those beautiful full banana grinds you've been doing lately.

Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
  5. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these are the shears from it followed me home, they didnt take too long to fix at all, just a new pivot pin and a little sanding would have been good but i hit it with the stone a bit and it's great now, snips smooth as silk

6. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the little plumb flooring hatchet that followed me home from the flea market. Last night I spent a couple hours sharpening it and it is razor sharp!! Used a NOS Nicholson file then a couple of stones and then finished with the strop. The bevel is right at a little under 30 degrees and has a slight convex to it just for a little more strength. I honestly think this is one of my favorites now!! Thanks for looking!

7. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Very nice! I picked up a Kelly works true temper at the same time as that Vaughan a couple weeks ago. It does not look anything like that though. She is a beauty!!!

A17 and Fmont like this.
  8. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I love those things! That's a real beauty, too.

Brian Rust, Yankee Josh, A17 and 2 others like this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Thank you.
    Got a picture of your TT Double ?

10. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a couple here from when I first got it. Have not taken any progressive pics yet. Can't really make out the name in the pictures. But with a lot of light and my readers I can see true temper Kelly works

11. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    I do like to offer my support to this long-standing and on-going topic:
    Today at the sharpening station.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Friday.
    So... got a question. On this kelly double bit. Still pretty rusty. Is vinegar good to clean that up? I tried mustard because I read that somewhere. I failed. Do I soak it in vinegar? I'd like to be able to read the name a little better. And from everything I've read on here power tools bad. So I'm trying to learn the right way. I already botched removing the haft.

Yankee Josh, Miller '72 and Fmont like this.
  13. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    I would use a wire wheel. Either on a bench grinder, hand drill, or even an angle grinder with a cup brush. You can get a coarse medium or fine brush. I personally do not use vinegar but I have use the WD40 rush dissolver. It worked great!! And it will not etch the metal or eat away anything. It’s not an acid which is much better to use!!

14. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Ok, thank you!

15. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    I did a doh! today. Casually putting a KP into a stump next to my Wermlands pattern, I donked the back of the Wermie. Only put a smallish ding in it, but I decided heck why not just sharpen them both.

Then I saw how good Kelly steel is. Cut the poll of the (presumably) HB pretty deep. Would've never guessed for how little damage was done.

Files then Ez lap thing, then Spyderco "double stuff" on to the fine side, get a pretty good mirror. I wish that @Sal Glesser would make a med/fine puck for us axe people. The double stuff is good, but a bit dainty.

20190831_200500-1048x1480.jpg 20190831_195218-1209x1612.jpg 20190831_195827-1209x1234.jpg 20190831_195609-586x882.jpg

Can see my fence and red canoe : )

16. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    that's a sharp axe to put that kind of notch in steel, i really should grind one out thin as a cutter instead of being scared of chips

17. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    You'll never go back once you do! They are so much more pleasurable to use when filed and honed keen. And if you are careful you can still keep the heel and toe safe by leaving a little extra there. +/- 20° is effective but still safe.
    Fmont, what angle do you have that Kelly filed to? That is pretty impressive to cut into the poll like that. I bet you were pretty pissed for a few moments!

18. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    It's a convex ~20°, probably more like 21-22. I do the same thing and keep the toe and heel more like 25. Honestly I never had the time to be pissed, it was "oh shnitzle!" and when I looked it was clear: nbd. Never had time to be pissed! I didn't realize it cut the Wermie until I picked it up to sharpen it and it caught on my trousers, lol

19. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    L & I J White carpenter's adze. Really nice, beefy piece. Lots of thickkkkk steal. It's pretty dang hard, too. It took an Inox file to cut the steel. Ruined a big oberg for hard steel henceforth. I went with 25° hopefully as a happy medium, I had to take out a pretty substantial convex.

Files, stones, a dollop of 1500 at the end before the final edge.

20190906_102557-1209x1611.jpg 20190906_042947-1209x1612.jpg 20190906_102841-1375x865.jpg