What Did You Sharpen Today?

Those couple of chips in the bit of that diamond eye were bugging me to no end. So I tackled it last night. I meant to rotate the pictures prior to uploading but forgot. Initially It measured 8-1/2" and both bits were 4-1/8" and weight was #2-14.4oz. How it started;
IYM1kne.jpg
JwdzTxs.jpg

After re-profiling so that both bits matched closely and I got rid of all nicks and dings;
Iz4OW3V.jpg

This bit just had to match the other one. It was painful filing away perfectly good steel!
kgaiBiW.jpg

New profiles;
91x79KJ.jpg

I'll just skip to the end now. :confused: Here it is temporarily stuck back on the stick it came with honed and ready for a new life!
8KTlycC.jpg
uLdgUAM.jpg

It's a little lighter but not too bad;
tUkF1z5.jpg

It now measures 8-1/4" and both bits are 4". Still plenty of steel left for a nice ol diamond eye. Thanks for checking out my little project!
QN9seUs.jpg

Last edited:
This bit just had to match the other one. It was painful filing away perfectly good steel!

I think you did the right thing. If you want to make it a user you need to give it a shape that you'll want to use.

I imagine you'll finish it with one of those beautiful full banana grinds you've been doing lately.

This is the little plumb flooring hatchet that followed me home from the flea market. Last night I spent a couple hours sharpening it and it is razor sharp!! Used a NOS Nicholson file then a couple of stones and then finished with the strop. The bevel is right at a little under 30 degrees and has a slight convex to it just for a little more strength. I honestly think this is one of my favorites now!! Thanks for looking!

This is the little plumb flooring hatchet that followed me home from the flea market. Last night I spent a couple hours sharpening it and it is razor sharp!! Used a NOS Nicholson file then a couple of stones and then finished with the strop. The bevel is right at a little under 30 degrees and has a slight convex to it just for a little more strength. I honestly think this is one of my favorites now!! Thanks for looking!

I love those things! That's a real beauty, too.

I have a couple here from when I first got it. Have not taken any progressive pics yet. Can't really make out the name in the pictures. But with a lot of light and my readers I can see true temper Kelly works
Friday.
So... got a question. On this kelly double bit. Still pretty rusty. Is vinegar good to clean that up? I tried mustard because I read that somewhere. I failed. Do I soak it in vinegar? I'd like to be able to read the name a little better. And from everything I've read on here power tools bad. So I'm trying to learn the right way. I already botched removing the haft.

I would use a wire wheel. Either on a bench grinder, hand drill, or even an angle grinder with a cup brush. You can get a coarse medium or fine brush. I personally do not use vinegar but I have use the WD40 rush dissolver. It worked great!! And it will not etch the metal or eat away anything. It’s not an acid which is much better to use!!

I would use a wire wheel. Either on a bench grinder, hand drill, or even an angle grinder with a cup brush. You can get a coarse medium or fine brush. I personally do not use vinegar but I have use the WD40 rush dissolver. It worked great!! And it will not etch the metal or eat away anything. It’s not an acid which is much better to use!!
Ok, thank you!

I did a doh! today. Casually putting a KP into a stump next to my Wermlands pattern, I donked the back of the Wermie. Only put a smallish ding in it, but I decided heck why not just sharpen them both.

Then I saw how good Kelly steel is. Cut the poll of the (presumably) HB pretty deep. Would've never guessed for how little damage was done.

Files then Ez lap thing, then Spyderco "double stuff" on to the fine side, get a pretty good mirror. I wish that @Sal Glesser would make a med/fine puck for us axe people. The double stuff is good, but a bit dainty.

20190831_200500-1048x1480.jpg 20190831_195218-1209x1612.jpg 20190831_195827-1209x1234.jpg 20190831_195609-586x882.jpg

Can see my fence and red canoe : )

that's a sharp axe to put that kind of notch in steel, i really should grind one out thin as a cutter instead of being scared of chips
You'll never go back once you do! They are so much more pleasurable to use when filed and honed keen. And if you are careful you can still keep the heel and toe safe by leaving a little extra there. +/- 20° is effective but still safe.
I did a doh! today. Casually putting a KP into a stump next to my Wermlands pattern, I donked the back of the Wermie. Only put a smallish ding in it, but I decided heck why not just sharpen them both.

Then I saw how good Kelly steel is. Cut the poll of the (presumably) HB pretty deep. Would've never guessed for how little damage was done.

Files then Ez lap thing, then Spyderco "double stuff" on to the fine side, get a pretty good mirror. I wish that @Sal Glesser would make a med/fine puck for us axe people. The double stuff is good, but a bit dainty.

View attachment 1188758 View attachment 1188759 View attachment 1188760 View attachment 1188761

Can see my fence and red canoe : )
Fmont, what angle do you have that Kelly filed to? That is pretty impressive to cut into the poll like that. I bet you were pretty pissed for a few moments!

It's a convex ~20°, probably more like 21-22. I do the same thing and keep the toe and heel more like 25. Honestly I never had the time to be pissed, it was "oh shnitzle!" and when I looked it was clear: nbd. Never had time to be pissed! I didn't realize it cut the Wermie until I picked it up to sharpen it and it caught on my trousers, lol

L & I J White carpenter's adze. Really nice, beefy piece. Lots of thickkkkk steal. It's pretty dang hard, too. It took an Inox file to cut the steel. Ruined a big oberg for hard steel henceforth. I went with 25° hopefully as a happy medium, I had to take out a pretty substantial convex.

Files, stones, a dollop of 1500 at the end before the final edge.

20190906_102557-1209x1611.jpg 20190906_042947-1209x1612.jpg 20190906_102841-1375x865.jpg

Back