What did you use your SAK for today?

Dan, what’s planted in the field?
Walnut trees mate. 145,000 of them now.
s5nhbgK.jpg

This photo is from the oldest Grove last Christmas. 4 years old.

Used the Swisschamp again today. The chisel made short work of scraping some pretty stubborn decals that I had to remove from equipment at work. Its funny that when I first got into SAKs my method of thinking was that I wouldn't need anything more than a 3 layer with scissors. Now, I can't leave home without the Swisschamp in my pocket. Heck, I can't even leave the bedroom without it! I use every tool on it.

I believe nuts are becoming increasingly important crops. Given conditions seem to be getting drier for longer in Aus, how drought tolerant are walnut trees?
The normal crop we would grow rice uses 14 megalitres a hectare. And walnuts on average use 7 megs a hectare. So they use half the water to our normal water usage. All our water is from bores, underground water so we don't need rain as such to survive. The price of water in drought times is astronomical and growing rice is not economical. Rice pays on average $4500 aud per hectare and walnut trees return a minimum $30,000 aud a hectare so water prices are insignificant. The underground water is reliable in our area and is said to be safe for the foreseeable future in our increasing dry times. Water is a very hot topic in our area and it's fast becoming an "only the rich will survive situation" which is sad for family owned farms.

Back