What did you use your SAK for today?

I haven't been spending as much time here lately as I did in the past so, I have some catchin' up to do.

Thanks, now you've convinced me that I NEED another knife ;)
Your welcome Steve, always happy to assist a fellow knife nut. :)

Used the tweezers on my Tinker to pull a tick off my wifes leg... I'm not sure how I survived without a SAK for the first 50 years of my life.
I'm not sure how you survived all those years either JB but if your wife didn't see you as a hero before, she got to now! :cool:

...and the winner for "The Best SAK Use" (possibly ever) :D...
"All I did was open a package another knife came in with my Soldier." 315 315
A9-AA494-B-5047-455-E-BFCD-0-B0-E060-C0-CC0.jpg

I recently moved and packed up all my knives but one. A Victorinox EvoGrip 11 was elected to spend "move week" in my pocket.

IDvoELL.jpg

That handy SAK did everything that it was called upon to do and hardly complained at all. Cutting tape, starting holes, filing a broken nail, tightening screws, opening bottles and even peeling a carrot are just a small sampling of the jobs it enabled me to accomplished. All the while having to look no further than my RFP for a suitable tool. Each day brought several opportunities for the little VIC to show it's stuff. Only once near the end of the move as the knife dulled did it seem to be lacking. I was cutting some felt, the fabric stretched a bit while using the blade and frayed somewhat. A good sharpening may have prevent the fraying but scissors would have been a better tool. As much fun as moving is, I'm definitely not anticipating any future moves (except maybe the move where I need only one box and no knives o_O) but if I were to move again I'd opt for a SAK with scissors. SAKs Rule!!!:)

Last edited:
Cutting some Wisconsin cheese in the mountains today...

Three of my favorite things! Wisconsin cheese, mountains, and Victorinox! I need to get out that way to visit Carr Valley again.

Reactions: 315
Today I used my Recruit can opener to undo some Phillips head screws on a job site. Nothing very exciting but it worked in a pinch.
Much the same for me chap, used the small blade on my recruit to open a hole for some conduit in polythene floor covering on a chiller being built, cut off cable tie ends , open mandarin peel, cut a yoyo string to length for my six year old son , the large blade to cut 2 inch tape , open packages( one of which was my new recruit to replace my beat to hell old one) and even cut vegetables and meat for a stir fry dinner. The small screwdriver on the can opener also replaced a screw on a bathroom door knob. I'm glad my knife doesn't get tired !

Cut up some apples for my tuna salad and used the can opener on my Tinker to get 5 knots out of my dogs leash while waiting for him to be discharged from the emergency vet for eating some Aleve.

Hope your dog comes right after some vet attention
Thank you. He's back at home now and doing fine. We thought he ate some Aleve which is deadly to dogs even if they eat one pill. He got out of his crate and had a little party while we were gone.

Cut up some apples for my tuna salad and used the can opener on my Tinker to get 5 knots out of my dogs leash while waiting for him to be discharged from the emergency vet for eating some Aleve.
Yeah. You have to pay attention to potentially hazardous materials with pets as well as children.

Most recent uses for my Small Tinker was opening several packages, opening case of coke to provide easy access, cutting spent blooms off plants, cutting old leaves off plants outside, and cut some spent tomato vine off the plants. Tried to tighten a screw on my lawn mower but upon closer inspection with a flashlight I needed a torx bit to do the job.

Last edited:
Foolishly went out to eat this morning. The wait wasn’t long but it was so incredibly packed. The family still had a good time so it was worth it. Anyway, I just used my Swiss Champ to saw off a few branches from a wildly untamed tree at the only parking spot around. This one is free but I’m charging for the next pruning. :D

We are also in the process of moving, we're relocating to the UK for a couple of years. My accumulation of knives got shipped off in the container 3 weeks ago and all I've had to rely on is my Vic Spartan.

After cutting lots of cardboard and tape during the packaging operation it is now serving as my sole kitchen knife too. Peeled and sliced potatoes this evening.

It's now blunt as a blunt thing and of course all my sharpening equipment is also in the container. It will be another 2 months before I'm reunited with my stuff so what to do? Buy a cheap field sharpener or some wet/dry sand paper and sharpen it? Or buy another SAK? I'm leaning towards the latter. Something Alox..

I would also buy another especially if you had sort of planned on doing that anyway. Hopefully the new blade sharpness will last.

Otherwise, I might buy a small stone to sharpen it temporarily as I like the keep them reasonably sharp as sharpening SAKs isn't difficult. You can always use another sharpener, perhaps one you might pack with you on a camping trip.

Back