What did you use your SAK for today?

R1WHZP8.jpg

An early 80s SPARTAN today used to cut loose threads while sewing on my industrial sew machine

Last edited:
First time poster, but I was rather happy today to use the reamer on my new hiker to clean out the nozzle on our hand sanitizer at work (it was shooting out at a right angle, and wasting the precious liquid).
Today I used my new pioneer x to make a lanyard for itself!!
First, even though I may be late, let me say "Welcome to the forum" :) and then, "It sounds like you're getting some good use out of your SAKS, hope to hear more from you before long." :thumbsup::thumbsup:

qJ4HJHK.jpg

It's a bit late in the day (530pm) and we are trying to start a fire with the explorer. We will give it another go tomorrow, in the mid day Australian sun

Let us know how you make out. I bought an explorer to use it's mag-glass as a back up fire starter in a hiking pack. I've tried twice but so far it's only made smoke. :confused::)

First, even though I may be late, let me say "Welcome to the forum" :) and then, "It sounds like you're getting some good use out of your SAKS, hope to hear more from you before long." :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Let us know how you make out. I bought an explorer to use it's mag-glass as a back up fire starter in a hiking pack. I've tried twice but so far it's only made smoke. :confused::)
Same mate just smoke. But I'm determined to get it right. I just need to find the best tinder. Char cloth is my next step after our bad weather this week I will definitely let you know how we go

But I'm determined to get it right. I just need to find the best tinder. Char cloth is my next step after our bad weather this week I will definitely let you know how we go

I have been trying for decades to start a fire using my Swisschamp magnifier with the exact same result. Only after last summer's attempt, I got some helpful advice on how to do it. This coming summer I'll try it out and let everyone know if it was successful (I hope, fingers crossed).

At first I thought it was just me :confused: or it was because I had the lower power new style mag-glass. Years later I tried an old style (higher magnification) and it too was unable to start a fire.:mad: With the right starter medium it should be possible but I wanted to use only natural material that could be found on the ground around here. Today I'm going to try the old style, a new style and a desk glass for comparison with different kindlings, I'll post the results. I'd be grateful to hear of your findings. :)

I have been trying for decades to start a fire using my Swisschamp magnifier with the exact same result. Only after last summer's attempt, I got some helpful advice on how to do it. This coming summer I'll try it out and let everyone know if it was successful (I hope, fingers crossed).

At first I thought it was just me :confused: or it was because I had the lower power new style mag-glass. Years later I tried an old style (higher magnification) and it too was unable to start a fire.:mad: With the right starter medium it should be possible but I wanted to use only natural material that could be found on the ground around here. Today I'm going to try the old style, a new style and a desk glass for comparison with different kindlings, I'll post the results. I'd be grateful to hear of your findings. :)

Eager to hear results as well, I have never even attempted before:oops:

Fire Making Attempt - Vic Explorers or What Else Ya Gonna Do During Quarantine?

season; early spring
time; noon
location; southern MI.
conditions; in direct bright sunlight, under a clear sky
the medium; dried leaves, drier lint, note paper
the culprits; old style explorer, hand held mag-glass, new style explorer

results;
-no combination of glass and medium produced fire
-desk glass showed most promise by producing smoke from all three materials as soon as focus was achieved
-both explorers were much slower to produce smoke then the desk glass and neither made smoke in the drier lint

Supposition;
-the diameter of the glass makes a substantial difference, with the larger glass concentrating more sunlight
-with a greater need and a lot more patience the desk glass may have produced fire
-the greatest possibility of producing fire was with the desk glass and drier lint combo
-under these conditions the explorers most likely could never make fire

photo taken at approximately the mid point of efforts
ZotfuTG.jpg

Fire Making Attempt - Vic Explorers or What Else Ya Gonna Do During Quarantine?

season; early spring
time; noon
location; southern MI.
conditions; in direct bright sunlight, under a clear sky
the medium; dried leaves, drier lint, note paper
the culprits; old style explorer, hand held mag-glass, new style explorer

results;
-no combination of glass and medium produced fire
-desk glass showed most promise by producing smoke from all three materials as soon as focus was achieved
-both explorers were much slower to produce smoke then the desk glass and neither made smoke in the drier lint

Supposition;
-the diameter of the glass makes a substantial difference, with the larger glass concentrating more sunlight
-with a greater need and a lot more patience the desk glass may have produced fire
-the greatest possibility of producing fire was with the desk glass and drier lint combo
-under these conditions the explorers most likely could never make fire

photo taken at approximately the mid point of efforts
ZotfuTG.jpg
Interesting James, like I mentioned above, I've never tried this with a SAK. With a glass magnifying glass I have but it was so long ago I can't remember the results, but am pretty sure if I had success I'd recall? what puzzles me though is MacGyver never had this problem:D;)

Today was an eye opener for me. I was under the impression that starting a fire with a magnifying glass would be fairly easy and I'm betting it is for MacGyver. ;)
I'm going to reconfigure my emergency pack to include a SAK with pliers and a couple .22 cartridges for their powder. :cool::)

Last edited:
Today was an eye opener for me. I was under the impression that starting a fire with a magnifying glass would be fairly easy and I'm betting it is for MacGyver. ;)
I'm going to reconfigure my emergency pack to include a SAK with pliers and a couple .22 cartridges for their powder. :cool::)
James, I really like those firefly ferro inserts, they spark very well. I just ordered another 8 pack:thumbsup:

Stay safe James:)

cCXOJkT.jpg

Another partly cloudy day here 430pm. I did get a promising result with a leaf folded around a natural ball of cotton. I got a small ignition but with the surprise of something actually happening I didn't get it into my tinder bundle in time. I do promise to have another go in the midday sun when the conditions are right. Sadly I think the sak magnifying glass is not a reliable fire starter. :(

James, I really like those firefly ferro inserts, they spark very well. I just ordered another 8 pack:thumbsup:

Stay safe James:)
Good suggestion Paul. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'd forgotten about the fireflys.:confused:
We're being as cautious as reasonably possible and pray often. You stay safe as well my friend.

cCXOJkT.jpg

Another partly cloudy day here 430pm. I did get a promising result with a leaf folded around a natural ball of cotton. I got a small ignition but with the surprise of something actually happening I didn't get it into my tinder bundle in time. I do promise to have another go in the midday sun when the conditions are right. Sadly I think the sak magnifying glass is not a reliable fire starter. :(
That sounds promising. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Maybe it's just going to take some practice. Still... it's probably best keeping a Bic handy. o_O Good luck mate, keep us posted. :)

Good suggestion Paul. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'd forgotten about the fireflys.:confused:
We're being as cautious as reasonably possible and pray often. You stay safe as well my friend.

That sounds promising. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Maybe it's just going to take some practice. Still... it's probably best keeping a Bic handy. o_O Good luck mate, keep us posted. :)
Caution is the norm here of late also James and nothing as powerful as prayer:thumbsup:

Back