What did you use your sebenza for today?

Finally got around to sharpening it (freehand) for the first time:

abmaltWh.jpg

jlMbA8ah.jpg

Dcdavis Dcdavis makes me wonder why people pick on knife steels. Most “edc” use would never approach how you use your knives so I don’t see what the nitpicking debate is always about when the threads arise (usually General Chat lol). I’m pretty confident in this S35VN. Then again, I carry A2 pocket knives and did just fine with one in my pocket for 2 years straight. :thumbsup:

Dcdavis Dcdavis makes me wonder why people pick on knife steels. Most “edc” use would never approach how you use your knives so I don’t see what the nitpicking debate is always about when the threads arise (usually General Chat lol). I’m pretty confident in this S35VN. Then again, I carry A2 pocket knives and did just fine with one in my pocket for 2 years straight. :thumbsup:
Man I have had that conversation with several people here. Sometimes it makes you wonder what people are doing with their knives. I have no problem with CRKs S35VN. There are other steels that will hold an edge longer. I can take a completely dull CRK and have it sharp in 20 minutes, and I’m not a professional sharpener by no means. I’ll get it sharp enough to do what I need it to. Personally I don’t sharpen that often and it’s not my favorite thing to do. In my uses a working edge is much better than a extremely high mirror polish. A lot will just strop them ever so often. There’s several tradesmen here who use CRKs daily and most will tell you the same.
Ajack60 Ajack60 , @Murphjd25 , sailfish sailfish , @kidcongo , @CHNeal , Steel_Addiction Steel_Addiction , @Sharp & Fiery

Last edited:

Ive learned that if you use your knife, it will get dull regardless of the steel. I’ve also noticed that blade geometry is a bigger factor than the steel. The hollow grind of a CRK makes for a good work knife. I like S35VN because of the toughness and ease of maintaining a good edge. The other day I cut part of a roofing shingle with my 25. Dulled the hell out of it. But it only took a ceramic rod and strop to get it back to shaving hair.
Don’t eat m wrong, I absolutely like me some M390, S110V and the likes, but I usually have to pull out the KME to get them as sharp as I like them.

Ive learned that if you use your knife, it will get dull regardless of the steel. I’ve also noticed that blade geometry is a bigger factor than the steel. The hollow grind of a CRK makes for a good work knife. I like S35VN because of the toughness and ease of maintaining a good edge. The other day I cut part of a roofing shingle with my 25. Dulled the hell out of it. But it only took a ceramic rod and strop to get it back to shaving hair.
Don’t eat m wrong, I absolutely like me some M390, S110V and the likes, but I usually have to pull out the KME to get them as sharp as I like them.

I completely agree. Blade geometry plays a much higher roll in edge retention for an edc use blade. That and sharpening angles and microbevel or not.

Ive found s35vn hold up with the best of them including s90v and cpm 110.

It is very strong and can hold a working edge for months and when its time to shave again a few passes on some decent stones or a brick laying in the driveway and its back to work again.

I opened three packs of fruit snacks for little man and me tonite with a large Inkosi. I’ll use a knife on random stuff that doesn’t require a knife all the time. Just a habit

Full disclosure - i walked into the kitchen looking for a beer snack while fidgeting with my new Sebenza absentmindedly, the only thing i found were the rice crackers, and i sort of reflexively just stabbed the packaging with the knife. What, don't judge me, it was there and already open ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've dulled razor sharp ZDP-189 in single tasks before. Getting that edge back though is hell and probably not something I'd be able to do right on the job in any short time. The S35VN on my Sebenza isn't hard to sharpen at all and I can usually bring it back from dull with just the coarse rod on my Sharpmaker and it's easy to maintain with just a leather strop or a pass or two on the fine rod. But the edge holds up for quite a while until I use on something exceptionally abrasive like fiberglass or drywall. I also don't have any problems with chipping or anything if I accidentally bang it on something metal. I don't know if I could ask for a better steel for my given use. I almost have to wonder why people who use S110 or M390 just to slice fruit and spread cheese ever have to sharpen their knife at all.

Back