What did you use your sebenza for today?

Took it out of the box for the first time :D
112Caxb.jpg

I hate those chicken sticks. I destroyed my favorite pair of diagonals once trusting one of those.
Yep, I’ve done the same. I have learned that they don’t read wet wire very well. I’ve grown to like that one. Used to use Sanstronic brand ones for a very long time. That Southwire one beeps and comes in handy. Gotta remember to turn it on first tho

When I started as an apprentice in San Francisco was working at a high end residential job. At the time the job was 90% roughed in. A new foreman for the general came on the job and saw we had all plastic outlet boxes installed. He told my boss to get that Home Depot crap outta here. Made us change every outlet box to metal. Still crack up to the day about it.

When I started as an apprentice in San Francisco was working at a high end residential job. At the time the job was 90% roughed in. A new foreman for the general came on the job and saw we had all plastic outlet boxes installed. He told my boss to get that Home Depot crap outta here. Made us change every outlet box to metal. Still crack up to the day about it.
Haha. On residential all plastic is pretty standard here. I still use metal octagons, fan boxes, and masonry boxes tho. There’s actually a supply house that still carries fiberglass boxes around here. I did have an owner one time want metal switch boxes. I put up bracketed four squares, he made me change those to gangable metal switch/outlet boxes. Metal is better if they want to pay for it. Had a guy one time we did an addition/remodel on his house that wanted everything we did new to be in emt

Haha. On residential all plastic is pretty standard here. I still use metal octagons, fan boxes, and masonry boxes tho. There’s actually a supply house that still carries fiberglass boxes around here. I did have an owner one time want metal switch boxes. I put up bracketed four squares, he made me change those to gangable metal switch/outlet boxes. Metal is better if they want to pay for it. Had a guy one time we did an addition/remodel on his house that wanted everything we did new to be in emt
Did some residential side work for a guy earlier this year who seemed to want half nice, half crap, like metal boxes but with romex stapled right to the face of the floor trusses instead of running through them. And he must've done most of the prior wiring himself so I had to work around all his DIY homeowner hacks; circuits picking up and sharing random neutrals, junction boxes with an inch of wire sticking out for me to work with, that kind of stuff. Then he was working on stuff when I wasn't there so when he effed up his bathroom and it kept tripping he blamed me. I should've just walked away.

Did some residential side work for a guy earlier this year who seemed to want half nice, half crap, like metal boxes but with romex stapled right to the face of the floor trusses instead of running through them. And he must've done most of the prior wiring himself so I had to work around all his DIY homeowner hacks; circuits picking up and sharing random neutrals, junction boxes with an inch of wire sticking out for me to work with, that kind of stuff. Then he was working on stuff when I wasn't there so when he effed up his bathroom and it kept tripping he blamed me. I should've just walked away.
Those situations usually don’t turn out good. We remodeled a local gas station/liquor store a while back. It had a dropped ceiling below a Sheetrock ceiling. We had ran all of our emt for lay ins. Come back later and the owner had hired some handyman who went ahead and ran romex through the conduit. He dropped out of the four squares to the light, then daisy chained back into the box and conduit and just kept going throughout the store. It all got ripped out.

Took over a new construction house last year. They had ran the first electrician off then had the carpenters finish it for them after it was roughed in. When I got there they had 15 arc fault breakers tripping. It cost them more to have us sort and fix everything than if they would’ve hired us from the beginning.

Those situations usually don’t turn out good. We remodeled a local gas station/liquor store a while back. It had a dropped ceiling below a Sheetrock ceiling. We had ran all of our emt for lay ins. Come back later and the owner had hired some handyman who went ahead and ran romex through the conduit. He dropped out of the four squares to the light, then daisy chained back into the box and conduit and just kept going throughout the store. It all got ripped out.

Took over a new construction house last year. They had ran the first electrician off then had the carpenters finish it for them after it was roughed in. When I got there they had 15 arc fault breakers tripping. It cost them more to have us sort and fix everything than if they would’ve hired us from the beginning.
If I came back and found something like that, I would've used my Sebenza that day to stab myself in the brain.

Back