What did your SAK do today?

Today was my first day off after a 7 day work week. I pretty much just hung out around the house with my daughter and the only knife I touched today was my Vic Tinker. Not to say it didn't do much...

-Unscrewed a battery hatch on a toy to replace some AA's in one of my daughters toys (philips driver).
-Did some quick pruning on one of my rose bushes that was sprouting from the roots (pen blade).
-Cut up a set of those plastic rings that go around sodas before throwing away (large blade).
-Opened a can of beans to go with BBQ chicken I made for dinner (can opener, admittedly could have used my real can opener but that's no fun :)).
-Popped open a few beers while I caught up on the newest episode of Breaking Bad (bottle opener).

All in all not a bad day off and not a bad day's work for my Tinker.

So, what did your SAK do today?

So far today my super tinker has cut some errant strings on my shorts and opened a package. Not gonna lie, I wanted to test the can opener so I used it to halfway open a can of tuna fish -it works. :)

I just got back from two weeks in the field with my National Guard unit. I brought my fieldmaster, one of my oldest SAKs. I used it multiple times every day.

I used the hook for pulling up tent stakes every time we moved postions (very good at that). I used the flathead screwdriver to declinate compasses. I used the can opener to open cans. I used the saw to remove branches. I used the main blade to open MREs for every meal, and to stir my MRE coffee in my canteen cup. Also used it to whittle when I was bored to tears. Used small flathead to adjust optics on my rifle...and the list just goes on and on. You can't beat a SAK in the field.

Vic Tinker:

Cut some cord, couple rubber bands, and some leather thong. Sharpened pencil x 2. Used driver tip to open pistachios. Tightened screws on flag pole bracket with Philips driver. Opened a box for my wife and a pack of gum for myself. Hey, also used the tooth pick to clean teeth--apple skin stuck between two teeth and tooth pick relieved that little irritation, should have used knife to cut up the apple and would have avoid the problem in the first place..

Now that I look at the list, I'm kind of amazed at how often I use a SAK. Just a day in the life of a SAK and it's getting used constantly.

Tightened up a bunch of pulls on kitchen cabinets and trimmed some loose threads on some underwear.

Slow day...

This morning I made packages of the old paper pile; a local music collects the old paper monthly. My Cadet cut the pieces of cord that holds the packages together. I use my SAK so often that I quit carrying a single blade folder as an EDC item.

Recruit
Stripped wire, took apart/fixed several things, cut the packaging to a new knife, scraped some metal so solder would stick better.

Yesterday my Tinker cut up an orange to share with my little one, opened a letter, and did the best task you can put any knife up to: opening a new knife!!

Swung by Target on the way to work and picked up a Hiker:

IMG_8451.jpg

There's wood residue on the saw cause I've already taken it to some small branches to test it out (A+). It came with the 'Gardener' as a set, which is a single blade model with textured handles that only includes a pruning blade. I gave the Gardener away to a busboy at work who is always asking for a knife. He seemed stoked and I saw him use it an hour later to open a box, hopefully he is a convert now.

Rambler today.

Opened a box. Sharpened a pencil. Used the bottle opener thingy to fish my tea bag out of my hot tea. Slow day for the little SAK.

Swung by Target on the way to work and picked up a Hiker . . . It came with the 'Gardener' as a set, which is a single blade model with textured handles that only includes a pruning blade.

I bought the same combo pack back in January. My wife carries the Hiker in her purse, and I have the Gardener on my desk at home for slicing open those evil plastic blister packs.

I used the large blade of my 84mm tinker to cut a couple of pieces of moal-skin for the inside of my work boots. I used the bottle opener to pry open the covers of three floor drains. Nothing very exciting but it sure made my night at work easier.
Jim

Vic Rambler.

Didn't use it for anything today. That's an unusual day.

Vic Tinker:

Opened a letter (pen blade)
Cut off a hunk of chocolate cake to snack on after lunch :D (large blade)
Opened a box at work (large blade)
Scraped ice build up off of one of the freezers at work (large flat head on cap lifter)
Opened a beer...or two...or three after work (cap lifter)

Also used the scissors on the Vic Classic SD on my keys to snip a loose thread on my shirt.

Late last night past midnight (so that would be today), I used the pliers on my VSAK Craftsman to remove the plastic pull-tab/string(?) that was tightly wound around bottle cap on the Firestone Walker's Reserve Porter. That was its first task!

Late last night past midnight (so that would be today), I used the pliers on my VSAK Craftsman to remove the plastic pull-tab/string(?) that was tightly wound around bottle cap on the Firestone Walker's Reserve Porter. That was its first task!

Good choice on the Firestone, my favorite of their's is the Oatmeal Stout.

Used the awl, flathead screwdriver, hook and pliers on a Craftsman to remove a nail from a stud.

I went on a little field trip, the guys who packed lunch forgot to include cutlery. I used a cheap spork I keep in my backpack and my Climber to eat while making childish jokes about how sad it was to see a bunch of anthropologist forget that we're tool using animals.

I also sharpened a pencil, cut some twine and cardboard.

Back