What do I have here?

Gentlemen, can you give me some insight as to what I have here? Thanks in advance for your time!

rVBrYvy.jpg

DSw6BPs.jpg

juBmvHa.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/TMoCGbD

Last edited:
Thanks! That got me a little further down the rabbit hole. How can I safely remove the grip without damaging it? Thx

Okay here is the scoop. My dad got this some years ago from an older friend who was an army LT in the pacific theater. He had picked up a nice sword on the battlefield to keep as a souvenir. He was later wounded (bullet entered his wrist and exited his elbow). My dad says he thinks it was the battle of Okinawa. His men packed up him and his stuff and he was taken to a hospital. While he was in the hospital someone stole the sword (he blamed the hospital crew but who knows). When he was released from the hospital and was set to return to the states, there was a stack of captured Japenese arms on the beach. The men let him take a sword and and an Arisaka from the stack. He had no children. He died of cancer some years ago. He knew my dad was interested in this kind of stuff and gave him the sword, rifle and some other stuff shortly before he died. My dad just gave me the sword for Father’s Day. I do not know the first thing about swords. Thanks for your insights!

In retrospect I should have said the first sword went missing while the young man was recovering in the hospital. Thx

To remove the grip you will need to find the pin or pins on the handle. They should be made of wood. Tap them out carefully using a mallet and dowel or similar. The handle should then slide off. Or it could be that someone will be along shortly to let us know that it is not worth the effort...

Gentlemen, can you give me some insight as to what I have here? Thanks in advance for your time!

rVBrYvy.jpg

DSw6BPs.jpg

juBmvHa.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/TMoCGbD

It’s a wakizashi. The only way to identify much beyond that is to remove the handle as has been recommended. I would recommend against doing that. Even if you remove the handle you will need an expert to read the japanese underneath and then determine if it is created by a rare or valued maker.

I would leave it to whoever is the expert that is going to appraise it to remove the handle.

It will never be for sale in my lifetime so I do not care the value. In fact, when dad gave it to me he said, verbatim “I'm most happy that I was able to give it to you at a point in your life when it would have meaning.” I am only interested in what it is and how to care for it. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Edit: I myself would be extremely uncomfortable driving out a pin in this sword (I am good at what I do but I dont work in a shop). That said, I would have it looked at by an expert if you deem it advisable and have a recommendation.

Last edited:
That would be the best of all worlds. What city do you live in or near?

Those pins will be slightly tapered -like a wedge- and come out easier one way than the other. Look for which side looks a little smaller and tap that side, much better than forcing the "big" side through.

For care of it not much at this point but you could maybe clean it up some and since this would be a carbon steel keeping a light coat of oil on the blade will help inhibit formation of rust. I would say it might be worth having an expert inspect it and might find you also have a treasure on your hands. Not suggesting you sell the treasure but maybe insure it if that is what it turns out to be.

Back