What do you carry on hikes?

Kbar swabbie and some random folder or otf. My pack stays around 35-40 lbs and I'm good with that cuz I need vape gear, mainly 18650 batteries but they power my light and charge my phone if need be. Don't really camp but just tie a hammock, fire up a pocket rocket, grub, sleep, coffee and go.

Sometimes I find a spot so awesome I stay a couple days or more so I try digging Dakota holes. Getting pretty good at those. They're a pain to dig with the little plastic gardening trowl I carry...sometimes takes an hour or so but then I recall any of the primitive technology channel vids and realize what a wuss I am lol that dude is caf.

I will almost always carry whatever’s newest. Haha. If it’s a hike with a lot of mileage I will also add a do-all knife like a Spyderco Military. If I’m hiking within a few miles from the truck or if my hike is overnight I’ll have something fun like my Survive 4.7 with me as well.

14711282317_0e6103f055_h.jpg

This DFK (Daniel Fairly Knives) Ti Backpacker has gone on many of hikes and backpacking trips. I usually pair it up with a SAK Farmer.

I only day hike 5 miles or less. I have been carrying a Spyderco Sprig or Manix 2 lightweight mostly.
If I’m testing gear, who knows what I might be toting around. It’s only 5 miles.
qzZ9k6J.jpg

yTOfjIP.jpg
That Sprig looks like a fun knife!

That said, there are plenty of things I carry that I've never used, like an emergency bivy.
Then you are doing it wrong!!!! :p:p

No, seriously. If you never had to use it, it is a good sign that you didn't do anything stupid and you have been somewhat lucky. I had slept (or say, soldier it through the night) about three times. And none of them were mayor screw ups from our side, but a mixture of bad luck, change in the weather forecast, etc. They are nice to have, but don't buy the flimsy one use only space blankets. There are more robust models that actually work. The flimsy ones do not stand the wind, at all, and rip appart easily.

Mikel

Then you are doing it wrong!!!! :p:p

No, seriously. If you never had to use it, it is a good sign that you didn't do anything stupid and you have been somewhat lucky. I had slept (or say, soldier it through the night) about three times. And none of them were mayor screw ups from our side, but a mixture of bad luck, change in the weather forecast, etc. They are nice to have, but don't buy the flimsy one use only space blankets. There are more robust models that actually work. The flimsy ones do not stand the wind, at all, and rip appart easily.

Mikel

Which one do you carry?

Which one do you carry?
I don't know if it even has a brand but there seem to be two kinds of space blankets. the ones that cost less than $1 and are extremely lightweight, and the thicker, heavier built, aluminized plastic based ones. I referr to the latest. I was trying to find some references online but most of Google links are from Ebay or Amazon.

Mikel

I don't know if it even has a brand but there seem to be two kinds of space blankets. the ones that cost less than $1 and are extremely lightweight, and the thicker, heavier built, aluminized plastic based ones. I referr to the latest. I was trying to find some references online but most of Google links are from Ebay or Amazon.
You could substitute the heavy duty space blanket for a small tarp and it certainly has a duel purpose. I asked about the thin (cheap ones) and they are essentially a one-use type affair and very thin. Think of it like you might a garbage bag; one use. The heavy duty ones are more expensive and I believe are the original "space blanket".

You could substitute the heavy duty space blanket for a small tarp and it certainly has a duel purpose. I asked about the thin (cheap ones) and they are essentially a one-use type affair and very thin. Think of it like you might a garbage bag; one use. The heavy duty ones are more expensive and I believe are the original "space blanket".
Which kind of tarp are you suggesting? Curious to know... My space blanket is permanently installed at the bottom of my climbing pack, maybe it is time for retirement! And what you heard about the thin/cheap ones are absolutely true. They don't last a single use. I was forced to use one when my climbing pal and I got stranded at the top of a climb, at night, below freezing, windy, no extra clothes or sleeping bags. Trust me, the most miserable night of my life. And I have never hugged a guy so much or for so long in my whole life... XD XD. I pulled out my space blanket and it lasted.... 15 seconds? It shredded itself to pieces. We ended up picking the bits and putting them inside our clothes. We kept moving some rocks to create some kind of shelter just as means of staying warm.

From then on, I found a heavier space blanket that even allowed to be punctured without ripping apart. It saved our bacon (with that very same guy) when we screwed up big time in the Mont Blanc (unexpected storm) and had to dig a snow cave. We used the blanket for the door. It was comfy, we had sleeping pads and sleeping bags.

The Survive Outdoors Longer (SOL) branded ones get frequent mention on some of the boards I follow.
https://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/shelters/heat-reflective-bivvy-s.html

They look good. However I think that in a blanket form they give you more options. You can wrap yourself in it or use it as a tarp. If you go the sleeping bag route... well... there isn't much difference between those bags and real Gore-Tex (or similar fabric) bivy bag.

Mikel

ALways have my folder in my pocket - varies day to day (currently Benchmade 319 proper in micarta).

If I plan ahead, I grab my OKC RAT-5.
If I don't plan ahead, I grab the becker-necker from my truck's console.

My hiking backpack contains, a small hatchet, a Silky saw :thumbsup:, a folding shovel, a 12 inch D2 Bowie :thumbsup: , 8x10 camo tarp, HD poncho, 4x6 HD survival blanket, lots of paracord, a GI canteen, a billy pot, a spork, folding grill, cooking plate, couple wooden kitchen tools, an hydration system, a complete fire starting kit - ferro + striker + starter, Lensatic compass + maps, slingshot + ammo, a big can of triple action mace, sharpening kit, maintenance kit, hygiene kit, trauma kit, first aid kit, repair kit, fishing kit, sleeping bag, a sawyer mini filtration system, head light, mini lantern, batteries, twine rope, steel wire, humid swipes, TP, whistle, mirror, a SAK ranger :thumbsup:, Zip lock bags, garbage bag, duck tape... And I also have a small fixed blade, a folder and a couple Bic lighters on me...

Which kind of tarp are you suggesting? Curious to know... My space blanket is permanently installed at the bottom of my climbing pack, maybe it is time for retirement! And what you heard about the thin/cheap ones are absolutely true. They don't last a single use. I was forced to use one when my climbing pal and I got stranded at the top of a climb, at night, below freezing, windy, no extra clothes or sleeping bags. Trust me, the most miserable night of my life. And I have never hugged a guy so much or for so long in my whole life... XD XD. I pulled out my space blanket and it lasted.... 15 seconds? It shredded itself to pieces. We ended up picking the bits and putting them inside our clothes. We kept moving some rocks to create some kind of shelter just as means of staying warm.

From then on, I found a heavier space blanket that even allowed to be punctured without ripping apart. It saved our bacon (with that very same guy) when we screwed up big time in the Mont Blanc (unexpected storm) and had to dig a snow cave. We used the blanket for the door. It was comfy, we had sleeping pads and sleeping bags.

They look good. However I think that in a blanket form they give you more options. You can wrap yourself in it or use it as a tarp. If you go the sleeping bag route... well... there isn't much difference between those bags and real Gore-Tex (or similar fabric) bivy bag.

Mikel
I think you have more experience than I do and I defer to your judgement on this issue.

Back