What do you cheat on your Busse with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZT for folders, Busse for fixed and Vortex for optics. Best warranties in the business!

100% agree. A ZT 0561 lives in my pocket most days. Sometimes I reach for a plain small CRK Sebenza, but I bent the crap out of the original pocket clip jumping out of a van while working, bought a replacement and it just isn’t the same. The S35VN is a pain in the junk to sharpen, at least for me (I will fully admit I’m sharpening-impaired), but I can always get my Elmax ZT 0561 crazy sharp, and it’s just so beastly. I was working in a very hot, very humid, very rainy South American country and my hip juice (read: sweat) rusted up the IKBS to the point of seizing. I contacted Zero Tolerance/KAI USA about it and they sent new bearings, no questions or anything, just boom, new bearings.

I've purchased a few customs lately through the Exchange, so had to resurrect this thread.

Screen_Shot_2018-09-08_at_3.16.39_pm.jpg

1. TGLB for scale.

2. Brush Creek fillet knife in AEBL. 7.5" blade, 0.04" thick. It's super flexible, good for trout which is what I bought it for. I went for AEBL because it's a razor blade steel, with great edge stability at very thin geometry which is what a fillet knife needs.

3. Tony Mont camp knife in 80CrV2. 6.5" blade, 0.16" thick. 80CrV2 isn't INFI, but its right up there at the top in toughness. Clay hamon with a burned oak handle... I love the pure simplicity and functionality of this knife. Full flat grind, and it came hair-shaving sharp. This looks like (and will probably be used as) a kitchen knife, but is tough enough to baton through hardwood.... you can't do that with most kitchen knives.

4. Shannon Steel Labs Apex EDC in Vanax. 3.5" blade, 0.18" thick. Vanax seems to be the best stainless available, or at least is a top candidate for that position, and is very hard to find in a fixed blade knife. It has the edge holding of m390, is tougher than elmax, and more stainless than either m390 or elmax. This is in fact the actual knife tested on the Cedric and Ada youtube channel, and had pretty insane edge retention and stability when cutting rough material (rope). It is reground and sharpened to a 17 degree per side mirror finish by Pete at Cedric and Ada and is really damn sharp! I would love to see Busse, Swamp or Yard produce something in Vanax !! :eek:

5. Darrin Sanders clip point in cpm-10V, at 63RC. 3.25" blade, 0.118" thick. It is very, very sharp! With the extreme edge retention of 10V and at such a high RC it should stay sharp in the field just about forever.

I keep a Cold Steel Bush Ranger attached to my shoulder holster when I am out with my dogs. It's nice and lightweight with a great point and SHARP.

I always carry a folder and a fixed blade, so I don't really consider a folder as "cheating" since if I have to ditch a knife, it's the fixed blade (folders are more "acceptable" at work, even if they are the same effective size as a FB....illogical but still applicable).

I tend to carry a custom 6" "camp knife" that I had made to my specs. When I'm not going to be needing toughness, I tend to carry it more as it is a very slicey FFG blade. It's more of a tough kitchen knife than it is anything else. Which is surprisingly useful, just not for being atrociously abusive to like I am to my user Busse-kin.

That's pretty cool. :cool: A couple questions:
- how thick is it?
it will be around 0.5'' thick
- steel type?
cmp 3v
- model name?
Monster Chopper by Dan Keffeler
Thanks!
it is under construction. I can tell you more when I get it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back