What do you cheat on your Busse with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The initials ARE 'AD' so it very well could be.

Right about the same size as a cultellus for refrence.

I believe it's around .125" thick. I'll measure when I'm at the shop next.

I cheat on my Busse's with Cocodrie...

The first "food pic" is my take on a speckled trout muffuletta

The second is blackened redfish on the "half shell" with veggies and quinoa (yes, I eat a ton of quinoa - good for regularity and I eat pretty healthy except when I don't)...

The Big Red was 31" and approx 22Lbs, although we don't weigh our fish, there is just a formula for estimating the weight of a red based on inches and age. Also, studies have shown that the Eastern Gulf Coast redfish are a bit heavier than their Western bros and sisses in Grand Isle and Hackberry.

That could have been a 25 year old fish...kissed him and threw back! It was like a fishing video fight with lots of drag and play and letting him have his head and play him in over about 12-15 minutes...from bank to bank and straight back down the bayou several times. I was not losing this one!!!

Redfish can live to be 40 years old - those are the 40"ers plus...

https://imgur.com/a/frcLHz4

C

Last edited:
Yo, That’s it!!! When we going hit the gulf together?!

Uncle has a camp in Coco Village (right across from LUMCON you can see), boat fishes 3 only, and we just have to coordinate. Me you and my uncle could fish fine out of his boat. My PhD classes start back up in the fall, although I still plan on making runs - would be awesome to have you down, seriously, not just forum friendly busy talk - you know what's up!

C

Nice set up!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

PK - It really is a blessing to be able to go down there - Uncle got a turnkey camp for a great deal - many folks getting out with the coastal erosion and higher and higher water levels. Just as many coing in though, too! My grandpa had a camp there ever since I was a little kid, and he moved in full time when Grandma died, so visiting Grandpa became visiting Cocodrie instead of Franklin and then Cocodrie. Someone mentioned it before about bait casters, and I was handed a big ass yellow Eagle Claw with a 6600 Abu Garcia on it as soon as I could stand up in a boat!!! Still have a few of those rods and reels between me and my uncle and they still fish! I am holding one of the "originals" in one of the pics, and caught about a 3-Foot shark in that little cut we were fishing on it. Grandpa used 30-40LB Test Mono only and big ass hooks - always fished on the bottom and on the hardest shell bottoms we could find...that "magical line" line would pull up small chunks of shell reef way more often than we had to cut!!! HA!

I have since moved into different strategies, although I always go bottom to test the waters (and to test the shell/hardness of the bottom) and the banks for the Reds!!!

I have just recently learned the joy of catching specks tandem with a spinner rig and lighter tackle with artificial, and with cork and minnow. It took me a long time to not just do it the way Grandpa did, 100% of the time!!!

knife-wise, cheating on my Busse's with a ZDP189 Spyderco Dragonfly for line cutting and knot tying!!! going to try out one of the "dendritic cobalt" knives for down there when I can afford the one I want...the Dragon Fly does great for now - smaller than a Busse handle (when deployed!)...had to get back on track with the thread somehow!!!

C

The plot thickens....

s-l1600.jpg

Lately my busse are slightly neglected but I did bring the camp tramp camping .
I find myself using a griptillian lately after buying a couple of zts the BMW is just so light and pocket friendly and the s30v stay sharp for a while with minor touch ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back