What do you decide to carry?

Lately, I pick one I haven't carried in the last 7 to 10 days.

For me it entirely depends on preference and occasion.

Preference: There are some knives I just like more than others. Among my favorite knives are all kind of locks but I like liner locks and the Lionsteel Tactical Operation Lock the best. So my back lock and frame lock knives don't get that much pocket time. Also I usually prefer bigger knives. So my Lionsteel Big Daghetta G10 got a lot of pocket time since I have it.

Occasion: I come from a moderately knife hating country: Germany. We aren't allowed to carry one hand opening locking knives without a good reason and because the policemen decides if your reason is good and a lot of them don't know that one hand opening slipjoints are okay as well I mostly stick to two hand opening knives. I also chose what I'd carry according to my day. On a usual weekend day I might pick just any knife from my collection that is two hand opening and that I'd like to carry. But when I go to a club or somewhere else where knives are frowned upon I will go for something sheeple friendly and discreet. A SAK e.g. On the other hand I grab my one hand opening sailing knife whenever I go sailing. :)

Formerly: Pick the EDC knife du jour based on the day’s schedule/activities while rotating EDC knives to the greatest possible degree.
Presently: I’m participating in a "one-year challenge” to EDC only one knife for an entire year. It’s something that not many of us here are or even would or could be into, but it’s turning out to be a perspective-changing learning experience. I’m now 6 1/2 weeks into it and comfortably in the groove, though I do still miss carrying some of my favorites. This challenge is causing me to look at my collection and possible additional purchases in a totally different way.

Mostly mood, though I tend to fixate (maybe not the best word) on one folder in my collection. It will either be new or I'll rediscover it and carry it exclusively (well, usually paired with another knife or a multitool) for weeks or months, then repeat the process with another folder.

The exceptions are for more specific circumstances. If I know dirty jobs are ahead I'll bring my Pacific Salt, if I suspect I, or someone else, will do something dumb with a folder I'll bring my Cold Steel SR1, if I'm worried about losing it a Byrd Cara Cara 2, then there are 1 or 2 knives for dressy occasions and some for when I'm feeling mall ninja-ish (though I guess those are mood).

I EDC the Spyderco GB1 for all occasions and have since it was introduced about 10 years ago. It cuts everything I need to do with a knife, easy to sharpen, holds an edge (M4 steel) and just does the job around the shop, yard, and house. If not familiar with it see the video.

A couple of Leatherman sit in the glove compartments of my cars.

I go by mood. Unless I have a certain task to handle that day that requires a particular blade. Then I carry two knives.

Y9di5H9.jpg

1. Camping/hiking
2. Edc
3. Edc
4. Was edc, gave to a friend.

I typically choose based on my work attire. Slacks or Suit and I carry a smaller blade like my ZT0450CF... Jeans
i'll pick something out of the collection. Lately it's been my new acquisitions. Half Track , XM-18 Gen 6

All depends on what your using it for. I carry a Southern Grind Jackyl Pup (little fixed blade) on my belt. Why? It is small enough to not get in the way while I'm bending down, twisting or carrying things. It has a steel that is easy to resharpenen when needed, & stays sharp & takes whatever I throw at it with ease.
I also switched from my normal folding pocket knife to a Microtech Ultratech with the double edged blade. One side is a full serrated & the other side is a straight edge. I went with that style because you have double the blade. I cut alot of rope & thick plastic wrap & the serrations easily go through that. The straight edge part is my box opener, mail opener or whatever. Best of both worlds & a good, usable blade length. If I go out & dress fancy, I have a lightweight carbon fiber Southern Grind Spider Monkey for that. If I know I'm going out & need a good workhorse, I have a Zero Tolerance 0220 Anso that is sooooo smooth, for that day. If I have on my Pj's walking around my house, I carry a Benchmade Impel. If I need a BIG fixed blade for camping or backwoods stuff, I have a Spyderco Pygmy Warrior which is a phenomenon knife! I also carry my Benchmade 140. I have so many other smaller fixed blades & folders. It's just what fits your mood that day & what you think you'll need it for. Have many, plan ahead.

I carry my favourite. If I have multiple favourites, I will rotate between them on a weekly basis, going in alphabetical order. The knives I gravitate towards do tend to be very versatile (Cold Steel Code 4, Cold Steel American Lawman, Spyderco Para 3) so I don't really have any specific knives for specific situations.

Depending on the most likely use of the cutting tool of the day. For example, I am spending the weekend in a large, west coast city in a state that does not recognize my CCW. Many homeless crazies also. I have a sak handy for peaceful use and a hissatu folder for the unlikely “oh shit” situation.

Last edited:
One of my simple pleasures is selecting a knife for the day, so why muck it up with rational thinking? I'm most likely guided by a whim or a memory that will come back to me when I pull the knife from my pocket.

I carry backpack to work every day with my entire collection in it and often pull out and fiddle with a half dozen thru out the day. No one in office cares. They know I am a knife nut.

Depending on the most likely use of the cutting tool of the day. For example, today I am spending the weekend in a large, west coast city in a state that does not recognize my CCW. Many homeless crazies also. I have a sak handy for peaceful use and a hissatu folder for the unlikely “oh shit” situation.
Homeless crazies and oh sh$t situations :D
Add zombies and you have the apocalypse :p

Really depends on mood. went out this morning for breakfast with my 14yo and took a Benchmade 940 (seems to be latest default) came back home to plan the rest of the day and moved 940 to coat pocket and in its place an AGA Campolin Zero for clothes shopping for Sprog. Cant say what Ill have tomorrow but may perhaps be a large traditional.

I usually edc the same knife for days, or even weeks on end. Work in an office, and everyone knows I have a knife, so size/style don't really matter. As long as it's a functional blade, that's all that's important.

Evenings and weekends I'll change out what I'm carrying if I have specific tasks in mind, but really, most of my folders are capable, so mostly it's just what's already in my pocket, supplemented my a fixed blade and/or multitool.

Yup. I recently stopped thinking and let the voices in my head make the decision. Or at least help.

I let the voices in other people's heads make my decisions! :eek:

No one blade profile is ideal for every task.

In my pocket daily:
Stockman: Choice of three blade profiles (clip point, sheepsfoot, and spey/budding) for different tasks.

SAK Huntsman: When I need a spear point, pen blade, saw, scissors, or punch/awl.

A Stanley utility knife for those inevitable
"Can I borrow your knife?" moments.

On my keyring is a SAK 'Signature', for the ink pen.

I also have a Buck 110 or 112 on my belt every day.
If I know I'll be working with rope, I'll add a Marlin Spike knife to my pocket.

Back