What do you do with your knives that you no longer use?

Once you're finished with a knife, whether it's become too beat up, you get a new knife, or you've just grown board with it, what do you do? Give it away? Sell it? Or do you just throw it in a drawer of retired knives never to see the light of day again?

Just thought this would make an interesting discussion ;):p

They sit in a knife drawer for a while. Every now and then I'll take them out, flip them a couple times to make sure they don't feel entirely neglected. Then I put them back for another long term hibernation.

I never "use" any of the knives in my collection, even if they were used when I got them. I consider them collectibles that I want to preserve in the best condition possible.

HOWEVER, I have many other knives (mainly kitchen, camp & gardening tools) that I do not consider part of my collection that will ALWAYS use unless they break and cannot be repaired or can no longer function for some other reason. To date, there is no such knife in my possession; every knife that I have ever used, some over 50 yrs old, can still be used and is stored where I can find and make use of it when needed.

Last edited:
I rarely sell - any knife I have that would recoup any real cash at the moment I use
I like to give them as gifts. I have 4 nephew, with another on the way this month - the oldest two are close to the age of knives - My brother may want to give them their first though. I gave a kershaw injection to my other brother this christmas - not as a christmas gift, but he needed a knife and I had it with me as a backup.

others I have traded or PIF'd to try out something else.

then there's the keepers, they don't get used much, but for one reason or another I hang on to them. generally they belonged to a family member or were a gift from someone

Hallo and sorry if I break some rule - I'm here at first time. Please help me in making a decision. Found Spyderco Military with spm rex 45 blade on Amazon. I want to buy this knife but not sure about the seller. The knife is sold by the company "Stealth Rabbit". Do you think I can trust this company? Waiting for an answer. I do not want to buy counterfeit.

I have an accumulation of knives that got me excited enough to buy them and then see little use. I give them as gifts to my friends and as gratuity to people who help me. I keep a couple of surplus knives in the truck just to give away when the situation arises, like the time a farmer pulled me out of the mud, but wouldn't accept payment. I hope he got good use from the Case trapper I gave him.

Sold a small number. Mostly, I give them as gifts to people I care about. For the most part, these folks turn around and continue to not use the knife given.

Still, even without being used, knives have made unforgettable items to be gifted in my past.

They become Mom and/ or girlfriend knives because the chicks in my life ABUSE knives.:D
Hack through bone, open cans and leave it in the sink like a dirty dish
They'll use them as some sort of gardening tool, whatever!
If a knife survives the ladies it's a tough one! :cool:

Back