What do you guys think of brous blades?

Sour27

Gold Member
So I just ordered my first brous blade didn’t get it yet, but after ordering the knife I’ve herd some really bad things. I’ve herd his cheaper knives are made in China and his more expensive made in the us. But I’ve seen some videos of the knives with really bad fit and finish. And that it takes a long time for brous to make it right for them. So my question is has anyone had more recent experience with brous blades? Has the fit and finish gone up?

Wells said scooterG. Unfortunately after the quick little research I’ve done after ordering the knife, I feel like that’s how this thred will go.

I have 2 older Silent Soldiers. One fixed and one folder, both bought from his site. They have great fit and finish. But I must admit, it was a while back when I got them.

IMG_3922.jpg

Last edited:
At one time I almost got one of their flippers. Never did. Neither good or bad reasons for that...just never did.

Too expensive for what you get. Some are made in China but say made in USA. And at least one model was a stolen design.

I have one brous and it's good. Silent solder framelock flipper. D2 and cf. There are actually a few variations of this tho, not sure which variant I have tho. 2-300 were made I don't want to dig the card out for it.

There designs are too wild to be used, so they are pure art knives. Action is debatable and not consistent knife to knife from what most folks say.

Your probably asking because of his cyber Monday sale. He's trying to get rid of excess inventory it would seem.

Brous is currently doing a 70% off sale for Cyber Monday. The ability to mark 70% off without taking a loss is quite telling for his cost of goods sold... and point of origin, to achieve that COGS.

Fit and finish has been hit or miss with the ones I've handled. $400+ is overpriced, current prices at 70% off is about right for what you get.

Not to defend Brous (because I don't know what his financial or ethical issues may be), but he may be discounting some items heavily simply to get them out of inventory before year's end. American businesses pay taxes on inventory, and inventory gathering dust for years may be best gotten rid of at cost or even at a loss.

I own two Brous Silent Soldier neck knives and like them, but they are not new and I don't know if the quality is superior to current ones.

During the BladeHQ Black Friday sale last year, I ordered a Brous Mini Division.

It was the most appalling folder I have dealt with. It had terrible flipping action and the tip of the blade posed as a danger when the knife was closed due to poor design.

Maybe I'm just knocking on the particular design, but the only positive impression I had on the knife involved the shiny carbon fiber (appeared to be really high quality; almost to that of Benchmade's). Overall fit & finish was decent, but nothing impressive at that price point.

I think Jason Brous tries too hard on the tactical aesthetic.

Thankfully, BladeHQ accepted my return request.

I have no interest in his knives and don't care what they are selling for. He strives for a modern/futuristic tactical look which generally does not appeal to me. I could never understand the fascination with or interest in his tactical knives. I believe he's still turning a healthy profit at 70% off retail. But as my grandmother said "There's a lid for every pot." I hope you enjoy your blade when it arrives.

If you are looking for an EDC that you carry but rarely have to use these may work. I'm a fan of the Spyderco Gayle Bradley Ver #1 which is my well used EDC around my house and shop.

I've only handled a couple of Brous blades and I believe they both belonged to palonej palonej . They were both very good, aside from the edge/plunge issue which is purely aesthetic.

Just my experiences.
I have a couple of his Knives and have no complaints with their flipping action, F&F, ergos etc.
I will say none of them have any play, all blades perfectly centered and they have never needed any adjustment at all.
Bought them off the Exchange. Had a problem with one, Mini Div with massive lock stick. Guess that fact was forgotten by the seller. :thumbsdown:
Went on the web site and ‘chatted’ with Jason. Seemed like a good guy. Told me to send it in.
He had it back to me in a week and it’s been perfect.
No complaints.
They are excellent flippers. I also like each one is able to be opened multiple ways.
Joe

I have a Brous Bionic that I purchased years ago. I forgot that I owned it until a few days ago. Handled it for a few hours then thought about it’s level of quality. It has solid flipping action and he seems to get a good heat treat on D2. There were so many sharp edges on the scales that it’s one big hot spot. I would expect more refinement for the price he asked for on that model. The Bionic will probably see use opening boxes or get gifted to a friend who is less finicky than me.

I have no interest in his knives and don't care what they are selling for. He strives for a modern/futuristic tactical look which generally does not appeal to me. I could never understand the fascination with or interest in his tactical knives. I believe he's still turning a healthy profit at 70% off retail. But as my grandmother said "There's a lid for every pot." I hope you enjoy your blade when it arrives.
I got the parallax....looks more like a normal knife then anything else I’ve really seen done by him. I’ve just herd that he’s had problems with weake detents, and fit and finish issues. The parallax has a nice hollow grind should be a good slicer. Th

When I first got into higher end knives, I heard Brous knives were good flippers - no idea where I heard that. I bought an XR-1 from BHQ and the damn thing would not flip. Seriously, even after lubing it and adjusting the pivot, it would go maybe halfway even on a full force flip.

I figure it's defective and return it to BHQ. After the process the return, I follow up with them to confirm that it really is defective, and that if I got another XR-1 it'd be better. They said, nope, they tested it and it seemed fine for them as far as Brous Blades go.

Never again.

I’ll speak just about the knives, I own a SSF, Bionic 2.0 and a Bionic XL. They are all amazing knives. Excellent F&F, perfect flipping action and outstanding heat treat on the D2! My only issue with any of them is the clips are easy to bend and on my XL, switched to the left side, the clip moved around too much. I’m in the process of replacing it with something using multiple screws but my last drill bit small enough snapped.

Back