Recommendation? What do you think about leather scabbard?

What do you think about leather scabbard? I am getting with a sword I ordered from Museum Replicas Ltd from their latest Death Dealer Signature Edition Series. Also, any reviews for the sword itself?

An all leather scabbard depends on a couple of factors. The length of the blade and the use, if any, the sword will see.
An all leather scabbard on long blade swill lack the rigidity of a wood or metal scabbard and therefore care must be taken on insertion and extraction of the sword. Not so much the case with a wood or metal scabbard. If the piece is for display as part of a collection then an all leather scabbard would probably work very well.

I have made scabbards for swords from 22" to about 28" blade and they functioned well enough, but in each case I doubt the sword would be carried or used very much.

Paul

The ad copy for the sword says the scabbard is "leather covered", so presumably there is something (wood, metal, plastic) inside to give the scabbard some rigidity. If the scabbard is just leather, I'd be cautious about leaving the sword in it for long term storage. I've learned the hard way that some leather can be quite corrosive to high carbon steel, given enough time.

That's an helpful insight. i'll remember that.
The ad copy for the sword says the scabbard is "leather covered", so presumably there is something (wood, metal, plastic) inside to give the scabbard some rigidity. If the scabbard is just leather, I'd be cautious about leaving the sword in it for long term storage. I've learned the hard way that some leather can be quite corrosive to high carbon steel, given enough time.

Back