What do you think is the best knife that Spyderco has released in the last five years?

Since I've recently responded that the Advocate is my favorite Spyderco, I'm running with that same answer here. Still a Gayle Bradley design; so hopefully the GB crowd won't lynch me. (The GB was my first spyderco - I wanted to like it; but the proud liners bugged me.)

I'd actually like to hear more of your gushing over the GB2.

Had one. Sold it (with instant regret). I need a bit of a nudge to pull the trigger again...

Well let me see if I can give you a nudge on behalf of Spyderco and Mr. Bradley and your future self.
  1. Now or never close - This is the last time that you can pick one up factory new ("This is false" - Soc monki.) If you buy one now on the secondary market you may find a catch/release example at a further discounted price.
  2. Summary close - I think we both agree that the GB2 is a stellar everyday tool that's priced aggressively to sell in comparison to its peers and will last a lifetime and you'll find comfort knowing that you rectified your 'instant regret.'
  3. Sharp angle close - You said "I need a bit of a nudge to pull the trigger again..." and I can offer you a bit more than a nudge, but 5 nudges from different angles if you will buy the GB2 today.
  4. Question close - Having owned one before, and the good taste to own another one, is there any reason why we can't proceed with purchasing the GB2 today?
  5. Assumptive close - It seems like the GB2 would be a good fit for you, and you are ready to move forward, so I'll just provide a link to the purchase page HERE.
Joking around aside, the GB2 shines when put to work and if you do happen to pick one up, please drop me a line or post on your longer term impressions.

* I am not affiliated with Knife Center, but chose the first distributor with stock.

Last edited:
The Gayle Bradley 2

Based on my sample of owning over 100 Spyderco's, 20-40 Benchmade's, one of each of Chris Reeves knives, and others, I have continuously returned to the Gayle Bradley 2. To me it balances time (to maintain M4), cost, and quality. Here is why I think it is Spyderco's best knife by my definition.
  • Cost: Less than $170 (when I picked one up on sale new a couple years ago)
  • Size: Medium sized that can be used for small light duty tasks to heavy duty tasks, and do so all day long
  • Time: M4 steel takes a wicked edge and keeps it for a long time so I can work longer, and sharpening doesn't take me long so down time is short and back to work
  • Ergos: Does not force you into one preferred grip or slicing angle, but the handle thumb rest is very comfortable to use all-day.
  • Handle: The carbon fiber looks great and cleans up easy. The offset scales don't feel the best after a long time cutting, but also due to the chamfered edges, I don't feel hot spots.
  • Blade shape: versatile and can be used in a variety of angles
  • Blade grind: The hollow grind allows it to slice easily without giving up strength due to the thick spine (reminds me of a Sebenza)
  • The pivot/deployment is silky smooth, yet controlled (reminds me of a Sebenza)
I could go on, but I won't bore you all more as I gush over my GB2. I'll end with saying that I have often considered it my "one knife for life" if I had to.

Agreed.

Are the liners on the GB2 flush with the scales? Some pictures look like they are; some look like they're still proud, ala GB1.

They are proud just a squeeze.

These knives are not gonna be comfy like a Mora.

These are Taiwan Sebenza. Fluid, pretty, high rev, at 120 bucks at release. In my opinion the pinnacle of Spyderco before they had to deal with foreign competitors.

Ditto for the Native Chief
G2

In the past 5 years I'd say Police 4 in K390 and g10 and the native chief.

Ohh Wait the autonomy 2 is sheer engineering perfection for what it is.

1. Now or never close - This is the last time that you can pick one up factory new. If you buy one now on the secondary market you may find a catch/release example at a further discounted price.
This is false. Multiple people have stated that the GB2 is a discontinued knife and this is the last run you'll be able to get. TazKristi has stated this is not true and the GB2 is a a full production knife, it was just backordered for a little while.

This is false. Multiple people have stated that the GB2 is a discontinued knife and this is the last run you'll be able to get. TazKristi has stated this is not true and the GB2 is a a full production knife, it was just backordered for a little while.

Original post updated with your clarification. Thanks!

8mg]

I'd actually like to hear more of your gushing over the GB2.

Had one. Sold it (with instant regret). I need a bit of a nudge to pull the trigger again...
The GB2 is as much a must have as is the PM2. I had mine modified to make the liner lock more accessible and it became a great fidget knife. If I hade to choose one or the other and had no choice. A stouter design, carries smaller than the PM2 and a more versatile blade with a stronger tip. Definitely get one. Even if you don’t carry it often it should be there when you need it.

Back